User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFj

Default What is it like to think like an N?

I am interested to know what it would be like to live a day in the life of an intuitive brain. It's very difficult for me to see from that perspective like you can imagine it would be difficult to think like someone else.
    E - 79% I - 21%
    S - 53% N - 47%
    T - 32% F - 68%
    J - 32% P - 68%

ESFP

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

oops........
    To think and constantly go from A - Z - DLJDI - [insert spacing out]
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by KarenParker View Post
    I am interested to know what it would be like to live a day in the life of an intuitive brain. It's very difficult for me to see from that perspective like you can imagine it would be difficult to think like someone else.

Look carefully at what you said here.

Notice how you're trying to imagine what it would be like to see things from another perspective, in this case an Intuitive one?

That's Ni. You're trying to imagine what it would be like to see the world differently than you do. Asking what it's like to think like an N, is itself a very N question.

But I'll try to give you another example. Let's see... N is about connections, context, and metaphor. While you would look at the world and just see the world as it is, an N might see things in the world as symbolic of something else. For instance, an N might see a sunrise as symbolic of birth, and a sunset as symbolic of death.

I'm not sure I explained it well, but hopefully that was enough to help you figure out what aspect of the Intuitive mindset you're most interested in figuring out so that we can try to explain it.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

You might not want to Karen... it's messy inside the N dominant mind.

But an exercise for you.

Pick two unrelated words from somewhere. (e.g. Crunch and Carp). Now try to relate the two together any way you can. Remember this isn't limited to the object or word themselves... you can modify things say Crunch = captain crunch or Carp sounds like crap. Anything goes. The connection process is Ni in action.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by KarenParker View Post
    Surprise! you already have thought intuitively. The question is if you can recognize it. Every type has every cognitive function.

You might find this helpful.

specifically for Introverted Intuition
    As you come across any sign (e.g. an advertisement, a sentence, a logo, a choice of color for a restaurant's decor, even a non-man-made sign like a cloud), say to yourself, "So I'm supposed to think ______ but really this is just ______" and fill in the blanks. This creates conscious awareness of the assumed interpretations of things, and distances you from them. For example, if you see a restaurant sign with very ornate, curly characters in thin white strokes on a black background, say, "So I'm supposed to think this is a posh place for high-class people, but what I really see is just a slab of plastic with black paint on it, minus some curlicues where the white shows through." If you see a sign on a door inside the restaurant, that says "MEN", say, "So I'm supposed to think there's a bathroom behind that door, and it's only socially appropriate for men to use it, but really it's just a piece of wood with some marks on it." You must name the thing you're supposed to think in words, and describe the object in words; no mere pointing or saying "like that" is allowed. A feeling of smugness may set in at first. Keep going, until it becomes a feeling of freedom.
    specifically for Extroverted Intuition
    "The Caption Game." Get a pile of drawings, but not intentionally funny cartoons. A large deck of Tarot cards is ideal. Put the pile face down and turn up one drawing. Think of a caption for the drawing by imagining something outside the picture, which changes the meaning of what's inside. Say the caption aloud, and move on to the next drawing. For example, if it's really a picture of a Scotty dog sniffing at a suitcase, your caption might be "Sorry, ma'am, I'll have to open the suitcase before I can let you on the plane." See how many completely different captions for each cartoon you can come up with. Try to think of at least three. "Pack your bags, Laika, you're going to test new satellite!" (in Russian accent). "Toto, we're going back to Kansas!" Some of your captions might be funny, but don't try to be funny. Non-funny captions are just fine.

"The Drawing Game." For this, you need at least two people. One person draws something small on a large piece of paper--something quick, which you can draw in a few seconds. The next person draws something in the remaining space, which somehow relates to it, so both objects make sense as a picture. You can add lines to what's already there, but you can never erase a line once it's drawn. Back and forth you go, filling in more and more of the picture, letting it develop into something that neither of you envisioned when you started. At some point, you give the picture an appropriate title, and you're done. If you can't draw well, it's OK to say out loud what you intended your drawing to depict. For example, person A draws the face of a clock. Person B draws a grandfather clock shape around it. A draws an old-fashioned teller cage nearby. B draws a man with a bandanna over his face, holding a gun. It's a bank robbery!
    You can goto the fitting room and try on the different functions. I suggest that you have candies around (glucose sugars) while you do it. It'll be brain intensive.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I suppose you have no intuition? Tell me about your intuition then I will measure my opinion against yours and we can have a discussion. We can inform each other. How's that for an answer?

In the realm of temperament, Ni could be confused with introverted sensing perhaps. Ne might be confused with extraversion in scope.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    I suppose you have no intuition? Tell me about your intuition then I will measure my opinion against yours and we can have a discussion. We can inform each other. How's that for an answer?

In the realm of temperament, Ni could be confused with introverted sensing perhaps. Ne might be confused with extraversion in scope.
    how does that work?

i don't associate either Ni or Ne with introversion/extroversion. i usually think of Ni as having a strong vision and Ne as having clever wit, but of course this is a pretty simplistic view.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

OP can't understand.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Ok, count every word in your thoughts, every 70th word stop thinking and then google that word, then roll a dice and then cllick on the (dice roll)th result, then think about that and repeat the same process on the 60th word, then repeat again at the 50th word. Once youve reached the point where your doing it every 10th word you have a general Idea of what its like.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    In the realm of temperament, Ni could be confused with introverted sensing perhaps.
    In what way? I don't see it at all...

Ne might be confused with extraversion in scope.
    Can you explain what you mean by extraversion in scope? I'm a tad confused here...
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca