User Tag List

Thread: Introverts and Relaxation (or, maybe I'm not lazy after all)

Default Introverts and Relaxation (or, maybe I'm not lazy after all)

I'm not lazy! Okay, I just realized that. Something BlackCat said about the differences between how introverts recharge and how extroverts recharge has been on my mind. I may be behind the curve on this, but do other introverts have trouble truly relaxing? Do you find that a lot of the activities that drain the energy of extroverts (thus allowing them to relax mentally) are the very activities that give you a lot of energy?

For me, activities like reading or surfing the internet are not relaxing at all. They can be pretty invigorating and energizing, which is a good thing, but if I engage in these activities all the time then I am not truly getting to relax, and relaxation is important. Color me dumb, but I didn't realize this until today.

I was talking to someone about this feeling of pressure and perfectionism that is there sometimes and she asked me if I take the time to relax. And I was like, what do you mean? I don't do anything productive, not really. I spend most of my day doing what I want to do. I don't get up and slave at work 8 hours a day like my father has since he was a teenager. I don't go out and volunteer every day like my mother. I am not socializing or engaging with people frequently. I am not the picture of American productiveness at all. I should be the epitome of relaxed.

But I think I just realized that these stereotypes of a "productive person" were based on extroverted Western ideals. When I looked at what I had done today, I had:

spent hours in fruity loops composing

written several long internet posts (and here is another one) on theories interesting to me

engaged in a lot of self-reflecting and analysis in preparation for and during a therapy session

watched a few hours of a television program I find particularly stimulating and interesting

wrote some stuff for my college class

read a bunch of blogs and articles

discovered a new website

played a computer game

done a lot of thinking

What I have realized is that all of these activities are stimulating, not relaxing. But since so many of them are introverted activities or things associated with "play" and not "work", I didn't realize just how relaxation-deprived I have been. So I have learned something new and now I think I actually have to schedule time to sit and do nothing (take a long bath, sit on the porch at dawn). Usually to drain myself of energy I end up socializing in some way, but that's not relaxing even if it's useful.

You're not crazy, it's the same with me. Especially the part you mentioned about reading being both energizing and draining. This is true with much of the heavy literature I find myself reading. Often I'll try to relax by glancing through a book of mine, but just within a few minutes I'm already exhausted(physically and mentally).

This actually happened last night when I tried to read from Thomas Carlyle's Heroes and Hero-worship last night, especially the chapter dealing with men of letters.

Definitely not the same with me. I relax in a lot of the activities I do that don't have to do with work.