• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Musings on NT/NF disagreements

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, so this is a PM I wrote to berberella and amargith after a recent disagreement that we had on that "Does penis size matter?" thread.

It got me to thinking about the ways NTs and NFs communicate with each other and what might be done to improve this process between us/avoid some common T vs. F misunderstandings. (I imagine we're worse off than SF vs. ST, because Ns in general are much worse about imagining things that aren't there, especially when upset.)

Here is an NT's perspective on this issue, speaking primarily to to NFs...but I invite anyone with relevant input to share his/her ideas here.

-------------------------------------------------------

Speaking candidly, often NT/NF disagreements are the result of speaking different languages and neither of us being as fluent in one language as in the other.

When one of these disagreements occurs, the T response is more like "Ugh, that's logically inconsistent, and therefore kind of annoying." It's not, "OH MAN I AM SO PASSIONATELY UPSET ABOUT THIS!" We simply don't have the same range of emotional depth as you--our highs are not as high and our lows are not as low.

Unfortunately, we tend to use the same wordings to describe this that you guys use to describe serious emotional responses, and the fact is we simply don't interpret tone/phrasings the same way at all.

Of course, neither of us is right when it comes to what the "correct" way of interpreting such words is--again, just a function of different languages and interpretations.

But I would like to point out that I've never seen an NT insist that he knows an NF's thoughts better than the NF does, especially after being corrected to the contrary, and yet I see NFs insist that they know my own feelings better than I do far more often than any other temperament.

I really don't know why this is--the best reason I can come up with is that some NFs are so ingrained in Fi dominance that they simply don't believe that NTs could possibly be less emotional than they are, and they love to dream up elaborate stories of how it's so obvious that we're clearly extremely upset and in denial about it.

Often, even if the disagreement was pretty small in the first place and the NT isn't really upset, the NF may actually exacerbate the issue by making the NT genuinely upset, simply by repeatedly insisting that s/he knows the NT's feelings better than the NT does. "You're clearly extremely upset" can become a self-fulfilling prophecy even when the NT was not really upset in the first place.

Ironically, this is coming from the temperament that's supposed to be strongest at understanding how others feel--when an NF openly declares that I'm wrong about my own feelings, I hardly know how to respond, and it's frankly shocking to me that someone with such strong Fi would fail to understand why such behavior is counterproductive.

We argue for sport because that's how we learn--through trial and error. We aren't convinced of something until we've run it through rigorous logical tests, including arguing it out with people--try to remember that for Thinkers, argument is NOT automatically a sign of emotional distress. It's one of our favorite forms of communication/learning.

Nobody likes to be told what he thinks or feels, and I'm sure you, as someone with a gift for understanding other viewpoints, can see how infuriating/totally inappropriate that is.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
I would love it if there were an entire book -- no -- entire library of resources on NT/NF communication. I don't often see NT's IRL working to improve communication with NF's, so bonus points for you, in my book!

I look forward to reading this thread and other people's thoughts. Here's to better communication.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I honestly can't relate to the OP. Of all the NFs I've met and argued with, the only one to say they knew my feelings better than I did was my therapist. (INFJ)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, one thing NTs do to me, is that they exaggerate their emotions if they express them at all, which causes me to become more worried than I really should. They freak me out and make me think, "Wow, they had a really strong reaction to that," and then later I realize they didn't have a strong reaction and just expressed their feelings in an exaggerated manner.

They either do this, or they downplay their emotions all the time and unconsciously expect me to pick up on what they're feeling despite their failure to express it (and the ones that do this will either vehemently deny it or get really freaked out and start avoiding me if I point it out). If I just avoid the issue, their frustration/tension builds until they find a reason to project their emotions onto me.

NTs are okay at expressing the type of emotion they feel, but they really suck at expressing their emotion at the level they actually feel it.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
It always seemed more logically consistent to not want your emotions known by the other person whilst you're not expressing them. In general, if I want you to pick up on my emotions, I would have expressed them.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It always seemed more logically consistent to not want your emotions known by the other person whilst you're not expressing them. In general, if I want you to pick up on my emotions, I would have expressed them.

I agree. I prefer the ones that express their emotions rather than making me guess, even if they exaggerate badly. But not all NTs are like this... some of them just don't want to deal with their emotions and go around projecting them onto everyone else. It can be messy.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Well, one thing NTs do to me, is that they exaggerate their emotions if they express them at all, which causes me to become more worried than I really should. They freak me out and make me think, "Wow, they had a really strong reaction to that," and then later I realize they didn't have a strong reaction and just expressed their feelings in an exaggerated manner.

They either do this, or they downplay their emotions all the time and unconsciously expect me to pick up on what they're feeling despite their failure to express it (and the ones that do this will either vehemently deny it or get really freaked out and start avoiding me if I point it out).

NTs are okay at expressing the type of emotion they feel, but they really suck at expressing their emotion at the level they actually feel it.

It's very binary. If we're mad, we're pissed. If we're happy, we're elated. If we're embarrassed, we're mortified. If we're scared, we're terrified. If we're uneasy, we're panicked. If we're appreciative, we're indebted. If we're in love, we're head over heels.

And even then, those don't mean the same things, most likely.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
I dont think this is about NT-NF communication only. But more about the FP/TP and FJ/TJ communication. I know I'm not making it clear to you the connection of how I came to that conclusion but what I can tell you is that the STJ's that I've become friends with have done this sort of investigation on me and constant questioning that I don't feel so well because I do this and that and blablabla.... infact they do it so frequent so I actually get upset, and then they say "aha! I knew it" (kinda feeling good about themselves). I see similar patterns with TP/FP. I don't think FJ do that thing at all actually, you must be mistaken. There's no way out of this pattern other then to burst out in genuine rage, that's when they understand that enough is enough and they got to see that there is emotions in you, cause they actually will never stop until then and you loose your face (loose control of yourself).
The Fi is a tireless function that needs to be shown the boundaries, enough is enough.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you can describe your personal view of this, but I'm not sure you should yet claim you have a handle on the NT view on it for the rest of us.

But I would like to point out that I've never seen an NT insist that he knows an NF's thoughts better than the NF does, especially after being corrected to the contrary, and yet I see NFs insist that they know my own feelings better than I do far more often than any other temperament.

I totally disagree, because I don't think you've perceived the correct nuance here.

How we usually do this is to tell the NF that they're stupid and that we're smart, because we "understand the situation better" than they do and their values are inferior to our logic in terms of "truly understanding" it. Your recent argument and the others I typically see involve around trying to show the NF why the NT logic on how to frame the argument is actually the "best" frame, and their approach is irrelevant/inferior.

So the comparison is this:
NFs often insist they have a handle on what values are operating behind the NT's behavior.
NTs often insist that they have a handle on what logic is operating behind the NF's behavior.

The problem is being trapped in one's own frame of reference and having an marked inability to step into the other person's shoes and view it from their frame, insisting instead that one's frame of reference is "most valid" across the board.

So here's another question, when you claim you're not "really upset."
How do you know that the NF is "really upset?"
Maybe they're really only as upset as you are, they just show it differently.

I can identify what you've said, when I've dealt with F people and things have soured. Yes, often I just feel "annoyed" even if I sound snippy -- it's basically anger but with detachment, which reduces it to "annoyance" -- and the focus on feelings and telling me what I might or might not be feeling is what pulls me in so that I can't detach myself and then I start taking it personally.

Ironically, this is coming from the temperament that's supposed to be strongest at understanding how others feel--when an NF openly declares that I'm wrong about my own feelings, I hardly know how to respond, and it's frankly shocking to me that someone with such strong Fi would fail to understand why such behavior is counterproductive.

Do you know what surprises me? That NTs with supposedly strong Ti would fail to understand why their behavior is counterproductive in getting an F (or whomever else) to think in the same fashion they do. Been there, tried that, doesn't work... nor necessarily should it. These conversations are far more productive when both sides listen and flex and empathize (via both a feeling capacity AND an intellectual capacity).

I don't think young NTs really understand yet, due to lack of social experience, how some of their comments that they view as impersonal, are heavily laden with social, emotional, and personal implication even if they're unaware of it (or aware but dismissive), and that this can actually impact both T and F people alike. Face it, a lot of people read things personally, not detached. If everyone is of "equal value," then detachment is no better than attachment, so again it's going to have to flex if it plans to integrate well into community.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
+10000

Thank you, Jen, this was also what I was trying to communicate to SW before. Here is part of the PM that lead to his response:

"For what it's worth, I never read into your emotions, as I have learned, partially on this forum, not to do that or at least voice what I've seen. I noticed the aggrevation about not being serious enough about the topic, and granted, I did comment on that, although I doubt I referred to it as aggrevation. Not sure though if I came off as intuiting your emotions, I sincerely hope not. I try to ask questions before I do that, and even then I watch out. Though it is something that comes naturally to us, and it might have slipped by me.

I get that your main interest was the logical inconsistency. I personally didn't share your priorities on that, I admit. And I still maintain that you should watch out with using T on people and their 'motivations'. Because, I dunno if you are aware of this, but it is the same as what you are asking us not to do. And often, even though it seems logical to you that others would think/act or whatever like that, it's not. People, especially our breed, aren't logical, meaning our motivations are often not what you would suspect. And yes, unfortunately, you doing that activates our Fi (you're secondguessing our integrity), like we activate your Ti when we tell you how you are feeling atm that you tell us something that shows up on our BS radar. "

I would like to add this:

Note: this is written from personal experience and observation and mostly applies to the NFP-NTP dynamic. It would be interesting to see if our J-siblings have the same issues. Also, NFPs or NTPs that have different experiences than what I've listed here, please feel free to add and explain what was different for you

Part of the reason we probably think you're more upset than you are is not only the strong language, but also the fact that your words have an effect on us. So in addition to sensing your aggrevation or irritation, our own irritation comes on top of that, as we're invested in the topic. So we 'mirror' that back to you, making the situation escalate. It's pretty much a vicious cycle, unfortunately, as you will find us more erratic and try to guess what it is in fact that we're hiding/not saying since our story appears to have logical gaps and we from our end wonder why you leap to such conclusions that even if we tell you aren't true, you clearly don't want to let go. That in turn makes us believe that maybe your emotions are a bigger deal than you're willing to admit and there's something else going on as well. Potentially something you're not even aware of yourself. Which you then vehemently deny and we don't believe as that in turn doesn't make sense to us. And thus, it never ends.

This is especially true because when used in the proper way and the proper field, T can indeed be very insightful in filling in the gaps in reasoning of someone who isn't as adept at it. And, whether you want to believe it or not, F can do the same when talking about emotional stuff. The reason why it is for me sometimes so hard to believe that you don't have anything else emotionally playing in the background, is because I've been proven right in many cases, often several weeks after the person vehemently denies any such a thing when they confess that I was in fact right. But this was when it concerned in fact the emotions of a T person as a topic since my own didn't become the trigger then or didn't magnify it. And it's tempting to generalize that usage and trust that feeling of your BS-radar.

And I've found the same to be true for T's who intuit my logic. I sometimes need time to mull it over, as I just don't process those things as quickly as you guys. So try and use that gift of yours on the turf where it belongs, and we F's should try the same. Or just suggest that maybe..this is what's going on? At the same time, don't take it badly when an F suggests to you that maybe you're unaware that this emotion might be influencing you and at least take a closer look at yourself before you dismiss it, even if it means mulling it over. And we from our side should as well suggest instead of claim to know. We should also allow for the other person to deny it and respect that answer and back off. And they in turn should not get defensive about us backing off, giving them the benefit of the doubt but keeping in mind that we might be right. One last thing I've found paramount in avoiding this kind of conflict is *ask questions*, preferably non judgemental or leading ones, but open ones, to verify your hunch and do so with an open mind and the humility that maybe..maybe you did read it wrongly or the other person is just having trouble expressing themselves and genuinly didn't mean what you interpreted. Not easy...I know, but it can all save us a lot of wasted time and head aches :)

Edit: SW, I also wanted to add that although for you it may be counterproductive that someone calls you on your feelings, many others actually ask an NF to do this. Granted, this usually doesnt happen in the heat of argument or in public, so that *would* add to being counterproductive, but NFs do get asked to do this, as it can help the person asking this to understand themselves better. I for my part rant at my SO for the same reason: so he can point out any logical inconsistencies which I am missing. And he will ask me to help him sort out conflicting feelings in turn, or things that bug him. It can be helpful to grow as an individual to receive this kind of feedback :)

Sachetan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm the only NT at my workplace where most of my colleagues are NFs. Mostly we have very harmonius relations and mutual respect in our communication. I think we can value our differences and that's helpful in the creative field since we both have loads of ideas.

But I've also met some NFs in my line of work that have misunderstood me. Sometimes I've found that my "rational ways" have been demonized because of the straight-forward way I tackle problems. Those times I've felt that my professional opinions (very rational) have labeled me as a person. And I'm the one who likes to keep work and personal separate from each other. It's almost been like an ideology (NF) fighting against what's functional (NT).

I think that I'm as sensitive person as any NF and very diplomatic but this rationalism can make me seem insensitive to some people. But an NT reaction (rational) doesn't mean that she's got no feelings. It's just that she makes decisions based on other things than that.

I appreciate the fact that we have a balance in decision-making at my workplace because all the different points of views are represented. Mutual respect and understanding is what we need.

Last edited:

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
As an INTP dating an INFJ (4+ years), communication was extremely easy and extremely hard. It was easy in that we both spoke the same language. Using analogies and stories to try to get the message across. It was extremely difficult because we would ask questions that was targeted at the other's less developed function.

INTP - Ti Ne Si Fe
INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se

We did battle it out using tools like MBTI, but in the end the miscommunication was solved by compassion. By this I mean that when we talk, we both tacitly agree to remove our own egos. This isn't always the case, but it works a lot better.

To illustrate:
ego driven communication
INTP - It doesn't make any sense, why would you do anything like that in the first place?
INFJ - This is how it should be done. Didn't you think of that?

ego toned down.
INTP - you know, it might be better if this were to happen. what do you think?
INFJ - how do you feel about this?

The difference is that the other person's reality was taken into account. At first, when we had our epic battles, we didn't understand each other's reality. How could we when we use our strengths to cope with the world? After some long walks on the beach, and impromptu road trips, we took the time to discuss things in our own view. When this failed, we would write letters to each other. (talking and writing uses different brain circuits)

Now after studying MBTI and enneagram, we have a much better idea of where the other is generally coming from. Of course we fail at it sometimes, but the effort has made huge gains for us. I also find my communication different in that I'm delivering both the logic and emotional aspect of the idea I'm trying to communication. I used to just convey the logic and that was it.

my definition of love is the understanding, validation and acceptance of the other person's reality. As an NT trying to determine what love is, this definition became the most helpful in dealing with NFs and everyone in general. Sometimes there wouldn't be enough time to establish a working level of love with other other person, but it generally works. Deflecting verbal attacks is a struggle for me as I try to understand, validate and accept the alternate reality.

the NTs have the T function in the first two and the F in the last two. The opposite is true for the NFs. The communication is delivered through our strongest functions and it lands on their weakest functions.

It's like NTs in 110 volt land, and NFs in 220 volt land. They send each other the goods but the plug never fits wall until an adapter is used. So instead of the receiver constantly looking for the adapter, I find it always helpful to send an adapter with my item. It's just gracious.

When the topic becomes heavy emotions, I have to demand space and time, because I cannot handle a lot of it. I just can't sit through a tear jerking soap drama for the full episode. Just as she goes KO in 3 mins when she read one of my non-fiction books.

So in general, when communicating, be loving and send an adapter with it.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Amargith and jennifer have both pretty much covered anything I would have liked to add.

I was the one who made it clear that I felt you were having a denied emotional response, since I still can't wrap my head around the need for an ENTP to argue so passionately for something that he/she doesn't actually care about all that much, whereas as an ENFP that dislikes confrontation for the sake of confrontation, I wouldn't argue passionately for a topic that meant nothing to me.

I've never played devils advocate, I assume the it's a real advocate argueing back with me, because not believing in ones own words doesn't make any sense to me.

I felt like jennifer said, that there was lot of NT logical arrogance dismissing my feelings, which then became my own arrogance of feelings.

I also agree with amar, often because I feel pressured to accept logic in a not very polite or helpful way, I will rebel instantly, but then go off and process my emotions, and then process the logic I have been handed and realise that actually yes, that NT was right, but did they have to go about it in that way and make me feel so stupid in the process?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It would also be interesting to compare the NTP/NFP dynamic to the NTP/NFJ dynamic and vice versa, as it would appear those NFs and NTs, though they still have their problems, are able to give each other the benefit of the doubt much easier because of similarities in the way they communicate, despite their difference in focus (or that's at least how I've observed it).

I find it way easier to reason with an NTJ than with an NTP, as somehow the NTJ does get what I'm getting at even if he disagrees with where my priorities lie.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It would also be interesting to compare the NTP/NFP dynamic to the NTP/NFJ dynamic and vice versa, as it would appear those NFs and NTs, though they still have their problems, are able to give each other the benefit of the doubt much easier because of similarities in the way they communicate, despite their difference in focus (or that's at least how I've observed it).

I find it way easier to reason with an NTJ than with an NTP, as somehow the NTJ does get what I'm getting at even if he disagrees with where my priorities lie.

It's kinda simple actually

All TP/FJ have the Ti/Fe combo
All TJ/FP have the Te/Fi combo.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Hehe, yeah I did already come to the same conclusion as well, but I'm wondering if there's some way we can learn from each other as bridge that gap with those that don't naturally have the same functions. Is there anyway to simulate this and how do you go about it concretely?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I honestly can't relate to the OP. Of all the NFs I've met and argued with, the only one to say they knew my feelings better than I did was my therapist. (INFJ)

Yes, that happens when someone has a significant amount of deep and very personal information on precisely what is motivating your most fundamental intentions.

If I'd shared such a high degree of extremely private information with an NF as in the case of a patient-therapist relationship, I would buy the idea that s/he might know what I'm feeling better than I do.

Be that as it may, however, this is an internet forum with a bunch of strangers I've never even met in person or observed any body language or tone of voice from...and yet somehow they know my feelings better than I do?

Normally here my Fi actually jumps in--"How self-righteous!" "How arrogant!"

Ne/Ni perceives this as a threat to its personal freedom to describe and express itself; hence, the NT may now become legitimately upset even if he was not upset in the initial conflict. It is a fundamentally ridiculous claim to say that interacting with someone purely through text on an internet forum is enough information to make any serious psychiatric assessment on his emotional state to the degree that you might have greater insight into his own emotions than he does.

Now, if someone actually explains his deepest personal motivations to you in detail, that's different. But I find that Ne likes to jump to possible explanations a lot, and when combined with Fi (which MUST consider itself to be acting ethically at all times), results in some pretty specious feeling-based explanations for the behaviors of others.

For an exaggerated case to prove my point, see the NFP-heavy far social left that honestly believes that 100% of people who oppose gay marriage are horrible, cruel bigots who hate them personally. Fi is out of control again--when used in excess, it will combine with Ne to invent all kinds of horrible motivations on the part of its enemies, always blaming others because Ji has difficulty accepting that its internal assessment could be inaccurate.

It's never the INFP's fault! (This is tongue-in-cheek and no offense is intended.) See??

Whew. That was a long one.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As a expressed INTJ I give my 2 cents.

In my entire life I haven't daveloped a deeper connection with an F. Trith to be told same works for Ts as well. But it is much easier to get along with them for me.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that I intimidate feelers on a regular basis. This is probably because they have a natural tendency to look into peoples emotions. But this does not work in my case. Since I am difficult to read. (at least from their perspective ). There were even times when F women asked me "Do you even feel anything ?"

The main problem in communication is that to me everything can be debated and should be debated. I am not a person that has many values. Actually most of my positions are just positions that make most sense at the time and if I can find better way/fact I will make a replacement.

What creates huge communication problems. One of the main problems can be that in conversation about something an NF is focused on my emotions and wants to know why I am into this or that so much. On the other hand they mostly ignore the main side of me which is my thinking. Which means that for the most part they tend to overlook a part that is completly dominant in me. Instead they focus on that small underdeveloped emotional part.

But since I don't have much values, for me it is normal to throw stuff and ideas away since they don't make much sense anymore. But I can't shake the impression that NF can suffer just by watching this. Perhaps they can even think that I am having a nervous brakedown. While I am just following logic.

On the other hand my lack of any real/deep compassion is probably intimidating as well. Few years ago my grandmother feel but her description of the even was exaggerated (from the position of physical laws) so I gave her and my sincer opinion that she has a capital logical hole in here story.
So everybody accused me that I am insenstive.
This is just a simple example but it certanly is not the only one.

So if you want to become closer to NTs or people like me I suggest that you don't take anything personally and you are free to be blunt as much as like when you are dealing with me.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Yes. I actually find this makes more of a difference than raw temperament.

For instance, I have more communication difficulties with most INFPs than I do with INTPs or INTJs (I have to admit, this is probably because it's more possible to gain an understanding of logic you don't agree with than feelings you don't agree with). I get along with other NFJs and ENFPs well enough.

I have to admit, though an NTs emotional processing idiosyncrasies can be a handful at times, it's usually not an issue if we keep the topic at the abstract level and avoid making judgments, which I like to do. Generally, sharing N-dominance or one out of the Ti/Fe or Ni/Se axises is a much better predictor of whether I can get along with someone.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, experience teaches that it is possible after asking enough questions and verification and especially so if you've frequently talked to the person as well, SW. But I do agree, that a stranger, out of the blue, and in public, not in private, is way harder to get right.

And again, I have to ask that you mirror this back to yourself and acknowledge that you do the same when assuming things about Fs and their 'logical motivation'. Plz don't put words in our mouths and believe us when we say that you misunterpreted our words or we didn't formulate what we meant correctly and keep asking for verification till you get a positive reply that yes, this was what we meant.

It's pretty much the same system as we should use for understanding someone's feelings.