User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I've never had problems discussing things with NT's. I like that they don't get offended or take things personally and they like my passion.
    I know what you mean
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    SW, do you have that same thing where when someone indicates that they need you to back off, you find yourself not being able to comply?

It's something I've noticed in my dealings with some other ENTPs as well. For some reason, when I indicate I've had enough and I would like to leave the discussion to mull things over, they cannot seem to take no for an answer. And if you do leave, they'll hound you trying to provoke you back into the conversation by saying the things they noticed got to you the first time as well and building on that. At least, that's how I experienced it always.

What is up with that? And do you have any idea as to why someone would do that? It's..disrespectful, I feel, and depending on who it is, in some cases it actually *does* feel like mental rape as they won't let you have a choice almost in not sharing your thoughts on the matter.
    I think a couple of points are in order:

1) You're absolutely right for feeling that way. Everyone needs their private information.
    2) This happens usually in good faith. You're going along, and the rational side of an ENTPs head is just swimming in thoughts - why is this person feeling like this? What factors could go into it? So they push for more information, not out of intrusion, but because they want to help.
    3) As more information comes in, the picture grows more clear and logical, and motivations start to form. A solution begins to formulate in the mind, and we're happy because we are going to help our friend feel better, and maybe solve a major problem in their life. Just a few more bits of information is needed, and maybe, we can get our friend to realize this themselves, and...
    4) Boom, they cut off for seemingly no reason. Don't they know how close to figuring this out they are? Don't they realize that I'm just trying to help? If I can get just this one more bit of information, this will be settled...
    5) Why are they so mad at me? I was only trying to help. They are making no sense whatsoever right now. Maybe if I point out my logical progression, they'll see where I'm coming from...
    6) Why are they even more mad? We just went over this, this isn't new information. Why do they keep acting like I'm so arrogant, and know all the answers - I don't know the answer to this one! I'm just trying to help.

Needless to say, I've been there before. It comes down to "big deals" not being altogether that shocking for me - we're not trying to make value judgments, just gain a clearer picture and understanding of our friend. That's how we grow closer to them. Everyone has their dark moments - it's only with friends we can see them through. That's the Fe talking.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    SW, do you have that same thing where when someone indicates that they need you to back off, you find yourself not being able to comply?

It's something I've noticed in my dealings with some other ENTPs as well. For some reason, when I indicate I've had enough and I would like to leave the discussion to mull things over, they cannot seem to take no for an answer. And if you do leave, they'll hound you trying to provoke you back into the conversation by saying the things they noticed got to you the first time as well and building on that. At least, that's how I experienced it always.

What is up with that? And do you have any idea as to why someone would do that? It's..disrespectful, I feel, and depending on who it is, in some cases it actually *does* feel like mental rape as they won't let you have a choice almost in not sharing your thoughts on the matter.
    Sometimes, and the cause is usually some kind of perceived slight.

It kind of feels like mental rape for us, too, when you insist that you (and I mean the general you, not you personally) can experience our personal perception more accurately than we can.

I've done this before, and often the cause is that the F has made some kind of insulting implication, intentionally directed conversation toward it just to make a moral point, and then acted like we're being total dicks when we try to explain why they've read us incorrectly, etc.

It all comes down to the "I'm just defending myself" defense, which is fundamentally flawed if you don't accept that people's intentions aren't as bad as you think they are, in most cases...which is something everyone can stand to work on, regardless of type.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

For what it's worth, the only conflicts I've had (as far as I knew) with NFs involved INFPs. The first time, one INFP girl semi-cleaned my room voluntarily (she had OCD, but who knows). Whenever her room was messy, she expected me to help her clean to, even though I would frequently say that I never even made the mess! She, apparently, was expecting me to help her because she helped me.

And I was like... no.

I primarily disagreed because she did it voluntarily, not because she had to. I wasn't going to help clean her room when I had nothing to do with the mess. If I did, then I would. Volunteering is what she did, I don't have to pay her back (essentially).

The second time (with a different INFP) we were just goofing around with a goldfish-pop tart exchange gone sour.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Airporte View Post
    The second time (with a different INFP) we were just goofing around with a goldfish-pop tart exchange gone sour.

What?

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

I think NT and NF disagreements come from diferences in the decision making process.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    I think NT and NF disagreements come from differences in the decision making process.
    That's very insightful, mortabunt.

I mean, who would have ever thought that the differences between Thinking and Feeling were the cause of most NT/NF disagreements? I mean, that's just absolutely mind-blowing, to think that differences between the T and F process could lead to disagreements.

What brilliant insights are you going to come up with next? Are you going to invent the wheel? Point out that sliced bread doesn't have to be sliced?

I'm just on the edge of my seat!

P.S.

Sorry about the sarcasm, I'm feeling bored, and you're an easy target.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

]

The whole thing in a nutshell, well hank is more SJ but you get what Im saying.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Wow,
    This sounds farmilar. Sometimes I think SW, you take the "type thing" too seriously, and don't take into account the person or what is being written. Meerly an observation.
    What is being written in this thread has been repeated all over the board with you. It's a bit like a broken record. You've been offered the answers multiple times, but they seem unpalatable to you (sorry for inferring a feeling, but thems the breaks).
    You can stand screaming in the wilderness that no-one understands you, or you can try to understand others, and hope it's reciprocated (it usually is).
    You'll probably miss my point though.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Wow,
    This sounds farmilar. Sometimes I think SW, you take the "type thing" too seriously, and don't take into account the person or what is being written. Meerly an observation.
    What is being written in this thread has been repeated all over the board with you. It's a bit like a broken record. You've been offered the answers multiple times, but they seem unpalatable to you (sorry for inferring a feeling, but thems the breaks).
    You can stand screaming in the wilderness that no-one understands you, or you can try to understand others, and hope it's reciprocated (it usually is).
    You'll probably miss my point though.
    ...Yes. Exactly. There's taking MBTI seriously. And then there's taking MBTI seriously. People are more than the sum of their type.