User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default The Internet and Introverts

In many ways I think the internet & introverts like me are a perfect match. Whether on a forum like this or on sites such as Youtube, I can express myself without having to phsycally interact with people, thus avoiding the pleasantries and expected norms that I hate. As an INTP, the detachment that the internet gives appeals to me. I feel more free.

I was just wondering what your "relationship" with the internet is like?
    Last edited by The Unknown Essence; 09-24-2007 at 12:38 PM.
    "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be." - Dead Poets Society

Enneagram: 5w4 sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Essence View Post

I was just wondering what your "relationship" with the internet is like?
    It's a source of information, entertainment and distraction. And it can be one 24/7.

I like that online I don't have to pretend so much. I can hit 'cancel' or the back button and I can turn off the computer whenever I choose. I feel like I can be myself more online than when I am surrounded by people. You know how you meet someone IRL that you knew online first and they're nothing like the 'persona' you've seen online? I'm exactly the same.

Make of that what you will

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I definitely feel like I prefer interaction via Internet. It isn't because of disliking norms or such, but just the ease of interaction. Speaking of which:

[Fe]Welcome to MBTI Central, The Unknown Essence.[/Fe]

I had to do that. Hopefully it didn't stress you out too much.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    It's a source of information, entertainment and distraction. And it can be one 24/7.

I like that online I don't have to pretend so much. I can hit 'cancel' or the back button and I can turn off the computer whenever I choose. I feel like I can be myself more online than when I am surrounded by people. You know how you meet someone IRL that you knew online first and they're nothing like the 'persona' you've seen online? I'm exactly the same.

Make of that what you will
    I feel the same way. Instead of using the internet as a tool for being able to do whatever I want since I'm completely anonymous, I do the opposite. Because I'm anonymous to some degree, I have more freedom to express precisely how I think and feel. And IRL I'm the same person you see online. I don't know why, I just sat here and tried to think of anyway I'm different, but the results were that I'm the same even down to putting my foot in my mouth. (You'd think that wouldn't happen on the internet what with the ability to proofread, but no! It's still just as bad!)

The only thing I wish I could have from the internet...is the ability to be able to think as carefully through a response as I do on forums, but not feel any outside pressure to respond quickly merely because I'm in the presence of someone else. That...and the ability to travel through space in an instant.

But as for the OP, I like physically interacting with people. It's one of the BIG things I miss when communicating with others. Maybe the perfect scenario for me, though, would be to sit next to someone and we both have computers and we both just sort of type things to each other instead of say things to each other...but we get the benefit of physically being near the other person and being able to hear their reaction and comments...and there wouldn't be any restriction on talking and typing. If we wanted to talk, we would talk...and if we got tired of talking, we'd type stuff instead. (That's what I miss IRL. The ability to keep a conversation going when I've gotten tired of speaking, and the ability to alt-tab between responses so I don't get bored of staring at the other person.)

/ramble

MBTI
    INTP

On the internet I can receive information without bring required to respond back ..

MBTI
    TiSe

Unless used productively and in moderation, the internet simply becomes another vice for zoning out and can become problematic like television or video games, or worse like a drug. Anyone (and I have witnessed many from the INTPC) who admits that their real life is falling to the wayside, but continues to post, has a problem.

MBTI
    INTJ

When interacting with someone on the Internet I find it difficult to know what to say.
    I am not as “tuned in” when I cannot see the other person in a conversation.
    There is at times confusion as to how personal I should be.
    When it comes to gathering information and exploring it is wonderful for me, as
    I do not wish to interact with anyone during such times.

MBTI

I think the internet can become a crutch for introverts.

It gives the illusion that you're actually socializing with people, when the raw form our thoughts take in text is a small fraction of RL communication

It certainly has its virtues though
    innit?

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Unless used productively and in moderation, the internet simply becomes another vice for zoning out and can become problematic like television or video games, or worse like a drug. Anyone (and I have witnessed many from the INTPC) who admits that their real life is falling to the wayside, but continues to post, has a problem.
    What's wrong with tuning out? Not everyone likes to participate in daily life. If I didn't have the internet I would be reading books every moment I would have spent browsing, equally tuned out.

Quote Originally Posted by MadamI'madaM View Post
    I think the internet can become a crutch for introverts.

It gives the illusion that you're actually socializing with people, when the raw form our thoughts take in text is a small fraction of RL communication

It certainly has its virtues though
    Why does there have to be a right way to socialize and communicate? Can't we all just do whatever however we like and if it becomes disruptive we can change it, it not everything is fine. This whole "People are deviating from the prescribed methods of social interaction, o noes!" is crap.