User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 30

  1. #11
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    What's wrong with tuning out? Not everyone likes to participate in daily life. If I didn't have the internet I would be reading books every moment I would have spent browsing, equally tuned out.



    Why does there have to be a right way to socialize and communicate? Can't we all just do whatever however we like and if it becomes disruptive we can change it, it not everything is fine. This whole "People are deviating from the prescribed methods of social interaction, o noes!" is crap.
    I agree with you, sassafrassquatch. I don't think people should feel pressure to participate when they feel uncomfortable doing so. I've gone through points where I didn't want to deal with people at all because I had so much to deal with internally. If I had been made to, I think that would have been worse for me and everyone who would have had to be around me.

  2. #12
    GirlAmerica
    Guest

    Default

    I think the most intriguing thing I have found about the internet...is being able to explore and openly communicate with other introverts.
    Being SO introverted, a lot of really awesome people I let pass by because I am not one to get involved in what is so overstimulating to me.
    I feel extremely blessed in that way. I really, really like introverts!
    We can all sit around and 'peer' at one another out of the corners of our eyes here, no pressure!! ha

  3. #13

    Default

    Interesting, I find the opposite for myself. When I talk to people in person, I'm taking in all this information on body language, tone and other things I can't see online. So I'm less sure of myself in assessing what they really mean or their true intention while reading their thoughts opposed to hearing it.

    I do find introverts to be amazingly outgoing, confrontational and into sharing personal information. I wish the introverts in my life would speak their mind more, I think they and me would both benefit.

  4. #14
    Member MadamI'madaM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    1337
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Why does there have to be a right way to socialize and communicate? Can't we all just do whatever however we like and if it becomes disruptive we can change it, it not everything is fine. This whole "People are deviating from the prescribed methods of social interaction, o noes!" is crap.
    I was thinking more along the lines of complete/incomplete than right/wrong, but I see your point.
    innit?

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infj
    Posts
    18

    Default Introvert drained by addictive site

    I think i find internet interaction even more draining than personal*, but I haven't done much until finding this strangely addictive (& fascinating) site a few weeks ago, it may be teething problems.

    I think because of the greater ambiguity (no facial expressions, tone of voice, body language) I worry about offending people (maybe an F thing more than an I) and probably do. and delay in reply gives me plenty of time to worry about how they've taken something and what they'll say, if anything.

    Also the anonymity, I keep exposing things about myself I never would(in the hope of helping someone), and keep feeling naked for doing it in front of the world.

    Saying something stupid seems more serious, presumably because it's permanent in writing and public.

    But having unlimited time to think about what to say before saying is surely a strong "I" thing.

    The thrill of finding others with a narrow interest, especially knowledgable ones, would be equally E & I.


    * introverts by definition get drained by sustained socialising,(there might be someone who doesn't know that).
    Last edited by artie; 09-24-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling

  6. #16
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Most of the Internet population seems to be made up of Introverts and Intuitives, not just on MBTI sites, but on most other sites. The Internet appeals to the Introvert because, naturally, it allows a person to rehearse what he's about to say. The Intuitive would find the Internet as a fast and easy (although often deceiving) way to find intellectual information, because the Intuitive prefers understanding things intellectually rather than experientially.

    I suspect that the Sensors are the types who pop in maybe once or twice a week, perhaps because they're not busy. Sensors tend to be the ones out and about doing and experiencing things. In short, Sensors are said to have lives. Even if Introverted, they tend to be more directly involved in the world.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Urchin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    139

    Default

    I like the internet more than real-life socialization because it's turn-based. Real-time interaction requires you to constantly think of things to do and say. In turn-based interaction, if you have nothing to say, you just say nothing, and it doesn't offend anyone.

    "'Don't you hate that?'
    'What?'
    'Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?'
    'I don't know. That's a good question.'
    'That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.'" --Pulp Fiction
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

    MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w6 - SP/SX
    Oldham: Solitary, Idiosyncratic

  8. #18
    Pareo cattus Natrushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Most of the Internet population seems to be made up of Introverts and Intuitives, not just on MBTI sites, but on most other sites.
    Exceptions to this that I have seen are forums / sites that focus on sports. We ran a MB thread on a barrel racing forum and the number of members who tested ESxx was astounding at first - until you thought about it.

    This signature left intentionally blank.

    Really.

  9. #19
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I agree with you, sassafrassquatch. I don't think people should feel pressure to participate when they feel uncomfortable doing so. I've gone through points where I didn't want to deal with people at all because I had so much to deal with internally. If I had been made to, I think that would have been worse for me and everyone who would have had to be around me.
    There is a difference in participating and tuning out life, in the name of escapism. The internet can be no different than drugs or alcohol if you do not maintain some balance.

  10. #20
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    What's wrong with tuning out? Not everyone likes to participate in daily life. If I didn't have the internet I would be reading books every moment I would have spent browsing, equally tuned out.
    Not tuning out, escaping from real life situations and allowing those situations to culminate. If you are not participating in daily life, then someone is taking care of you right now.

Similar Threads

  1. Autoritarianism, Abuse and the Internet
    By Mole in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 04:31 AM
  2. TypoC, the Internet, and Opening Yourself Up
    By SecondBest in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 09:21 PM
  3. Personality and the internet.
    By /DG/ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 03:07 AM
  4. "Intuitives", MBTIc, and the internet in general
    By Grayscale in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM
  5. Extroverts and Introverts and how much they enjoy/enjoyed the bar/club scene?
    By Venom in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 09:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO