• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you wary of Te?

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I appreciate Te a lot, although I think it could accomplish it wanted more efficiently (with some people) if it purred instructions rather than roared them.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Just wondering: How exactly do you know that you have a lot of Te?

Especially at work I love being efficient and getting things done as quickly and in an as efficient manner as possible, I don't like slowness and I tend to see the bigger picture, how each person and task are interconnected, who is best for doing which job. I can also boss people around quite a bit if necessary however I always try to consider their feelings and am in general careful not to unnecessarily offend them (since people that are pissed off are much less likely to do a good job) Is there any Te in that... or is that just Fe working as a leadership function instead?

This sounds like Ni and Fe working together, and the other functions falling in line and supporting Ni/Fe.

When the Dom and Aux are working together, the other functions will support their aims.

(For more about that, consider reading Personality Type: An Owner's Manual by Lenore Thomson.)

"I tend to see the bigger picture"
That sounds like Ni.

"I always try to consider their feelings and am in general careful not to unnecessarily offend them"
That sounds like Fe.

"(since people that are pissed off are much less likely to do a good job)"
" I can also boss people around quite a bit if necessary"
These do not seem to reflect Ni or Fe, but sound more like other functions (such as Te or Ti) supporting the aims of Ni/Fe.

"I love being efficient and getting things done as quickly and in an as efficient manner as possible"
Though there may be a more complex function-related explanation for this, I think it's reasonable to attribute this to your preference for J over P.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Just wondering: How exactly do you know that you have a lot of Te?

Especially at work I love being efficient and getting things done as quickly and in an as efficient manner as possible, I don't like slowness and I tend to see the bigger picture, how each person and task are interconnected, who is best for doing which job. I can also boss people around quite a bit if necessary however I always try to consider their feelings and am in general careful not to unnecessarily offend them (since people that are pissed off are much less likely to do a good job) Is there any Te in that... or is that just Fe working as a leadership function instead?

I read a little bit of Te in it. See bolded text. If those are what drives your action, then yes it is Te. You also worked your dominant strengths into the equation, that's a sign of exceptional Te use. If this is what you seek, you should keep up your good work. :yes:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Same topic as in Fe thread, it is just this one is about Te.

How do you get along with this function in yourself and how do you handle it in other people ?
Yes. I am weary.

It is only envy. I think highly of Te.
A history professor of mine solved a difficult problem with Te.
I was impressed.

Te is the agent of a J process. Ti is the subject of a P process.
A problem solving mechanism adopts one or the other. There is no common ground.

I get along if I have to. It is not essentially my thing.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have a question for non TJs.

How likely is that you will consider organizing things as entertainment ?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
^

Actually, yeah.

To clean house is fun but to think about cleaning house is like experiencing the fiery depths of hell.

Mind over matter, I suppose.

Are you wary of Te?

Unfortunately, yes.

I've had some really bad experiences with it irl.

Most TJs turn me off so much now that I have to consciously give myself a prep talk on how not be biased towards them without warrant.

Yeah. It's pretty bad.

How do you get along with this function in yourself and how do you handle it in other people?

I use it when I have to, but otherwise ignore it.
& see above.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am curious: why most people have the tendency to freeze when they get Te answer / statement / explanation in their face ?

By Te I mean pure and clean Te, without any neuroticism , Fe orr visible subjectivity.
From what I have seen in real life this can really creep out people.

gromit

likes this
I am curious: why most people have the tendency to freeze when they get Te answer / statement / explanation in their face ?

By Te I mean pure and clean Te, without any neuroticism , Fe orr visible subjectivity.

I don't know if I've ever encountered pure and clean Te. Or if I have, I haven't known it so I cannot tell you how I reacted.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

In my experience, people freeze especially if you answer a yes or no question simply with YES or NO without additional elaboration.

I sometimes use that to get people's attention, and /or as primer for something funny to say. People will listen more closely to your explanation if they are first stunned like that.

As for "pure Te" , I think that most people expect either a fluffy posititve Fe response or meaningless chit-chat in most situations. If you respond with Te analysis in most cases people will kind of be snapped out of the casual situation they thought themselves to be in and feel like they have been teleported in front of a examination commitee at their job or something. It makes feel peopleput on the spot, while before they were making casual convo where accuracy didn't matter, they now suddenly find that someone (the XJ) is evaluating their statements, which makes them insecure and / or defensive and takes the "fun" and "casualness" out of the situation.

This might be why INTJs are known as "killjoys", ENTJs can somewhat compensate with tertiary Se, which makes them look "action-oriented" and "fun".
SJs probably have an easier time since they feel at home in conventional social situations and don't project Te+awckwardness like NJs do.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Hm... can you give me an example of where one person uses Te and then another person freezes up in response to it? Then maybe I can imagine better.

Ok here are some examples

1. The other person wants to have a small talk , light conversation while I am pushing / want more serious conversation. Especially if I get the impression that the other person is running away from problems.

2. I just come to a person draw its attention and say that I have his/her noticed problem and how much it trouble his or her. And then I offer solutions.

I know that by social codex this is not something you should do.
However I am wondering where exactly is the problem. (from perspective of other people)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Not really, I find Te useful in reasonable measures.

I'm more wary of Ni. The Te side of NTJs is the side I get on better with.

gromit

likes this
Ok here are some examples

1. The other person wants to have a small talk , light conversation while I am pushing / want more serious conversation. Especially if I get the impression that the other person is running away from problems.

2. I just come to a person draw its attention and say that I have his/her noticed problem and how much it trouble his or her. And then I offer solutions.

I know that by social codex this is not something you should do.
However I am wondering where exactly is the problem. (from perspective of other people)

Okay, let’s see… for me I typically do find myself a little surprised in this type of situation, usually taken aback, because it’s not how most people would respond to small talk. I wouldn’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing, though. It could lead to some very interesting conversations. But it can definitely be surprising, particularly in a light-hearted situation like a party or something. And as for a situation where somebody is offering me unsolicited advice… I guess it would depend if I was actively trying to solve the problem or not. In general, if I’m trying to solve a problem then I look for any type of insight into it that I can find, from any source. However, if it is not something that I have recognized as a problem, then I may or may not appreciate someone bringing it to my attention and telling me what they think I should do about it.

I guess a good way of thinking of this type of thing is that it’s like training for a physical activity. Let’s say you are going to do a triathlon. You need to prepare for it, you need to lift weights and go running/swimming/biking in the months leading up to it, and you need to be sure to eat proper food and get enough sleep too. It takes awhile to get to the point where your body is capable of performing at that level. And some people need less time to train for such physical activity than others. Some people have an easier time with one part of the process than another.

You can think of it the same way with being emotionally ready to deal with a situation. I think people tend to need some time to adjust to the idea that it actually is a problem. This can take a lot of effort for some people. there’s a lot that goes into it, mentally and emotionally leading up to the change (for some) beside actually making the change. It involves shifting around different priorities, their world view, their understanding of themselves… it takes time and energy, and it can be frightening. Imagine the time and effort training for the race, but now applied inside of a person. Just like you cannot make somebody get into physical shape for the triathlon (the only person who can do that is themselves), you cannot force a person to be ready to make a change in their lifestyle or perceptions…

One other thing is the idea of authority. People may not perceive you as having the knowledge into their situation and their context to give them advice, therefore they may not listen to it. Or people may not trust your insight because they do not trust you as a person. Obviously I am speaking in generalities here, I do not know you and I am not saying you aren’t trustworthy. In fact you seem very sincere in understanding other people.

Another thing could be that deep down the person is getting some sort of perverse pleasure out of the situation. I know people who are like that, actually. They bemoan their condition but actually they secretly love it. I don’t know why people feel that pleasure though. Probably because it reinforces beliefs they have about themselves or something and because it’s easier than trying to do something about it.

I have no idea if any of this is helpful or not.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do pretty well with my own Te, since it is either in the 3rd or 4th place. It is enough to keep me moving, and enough to collide with a bit of my tendencies to still have that sort of 'chill perceiver' outlook...

But I am around a lot of Te dominants, and even more Te auxillaries, and just the pureness of the Te from the ExTJs in my life almost leaves me shaking. Sometimes if they are harsh on me, I can just go and 'Te' back at them, but mine is no match, and then of course I resort to a TiFi blend reason for why to back off, and I just get the rolled eyes and the 'just do it.'

In theory, Te can be pretty awesome, but sometimes IRL it is just too overwhelming.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

How do you get along with this function in yourself and how do you handle it in other people ?

I like it and need it in myself. I wouldn't be able to "function" without it.

Eh hem.

Puns aside, in other people I'm not "wary" per se. Usually I can appreciate and admire it. If someone is a very overbearing unhealthy Te dom it will put me on the defense and make me unrationally angry.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm... can you give me an example of where one person uses Te and then another person freezes up in response to it? Then maybe I can imagine better.

My ex ENTJ tried to plan my day for me a couple of times. I had studying to do which he was unaware of, and since he knew I needed to buy a car, he looked up all these cars online and said, "In the morning you should go here, and then stop by your old apartment to pick stuff up.." and so on, he had my day planned for me with no studying involved and planned so that I would be home in time for dinner. When I didn't follow the plan, he got really frustrated with me. That's an example of unhealthy Te pushed onto someone else.

No one will appreciate that- (or any unhealthy function for that matter.)
In this case I lashed out at him when he got home and was angry.

(On a more positive note, a Te dom may be able to do all of that for themselves and have a car by the end of the day and be back home and dinner made by five.)

Fecal McAngry

As a general rule (Te thang) I get along better with Te/Fi-users than Ti/Fe-users.

I am currently working with an ESTJ and we're getting along swimmingly...