User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 263

  1. #121
    Filthy Apes! Kalach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    The point I was making though, was that you are making too many generalizations. Because you make it sound as though an INFP couldn't possibly lead ... anyone ... successfully. Let alone themselves!
    Well yeah, too many generalisations, it's true. Actually what I was trying for was some kind of simple recipe for Protean in dealing with her boss. Perhaps overreached my theoretical expertise.

    But hey, here's a question: what's the right thing to say about the role of feeling in the life of an INFP manager?


    (And I ask because it totally feels like it's the wrong question to ask, and I'd like an INFP to say so, but I don't know why.)

  2. #122
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I don't feel like this describes me though at my employment, nor would anyone know think I was ... passive. (They laugh when I tell them I am introverted! Really I am!) As a leader I know what the expectations are, so I have consciously worked on developing skills so I have lots of tools in the toolbox (so to speak).

    I can appreciate what you are saying re the Fi / Si loop - but only in my personal close relationships. Sometimes if my husband is too facilitating to my emotional state, it gets me stuck there, so I do focus on busting myself out rather than relying on someone else's "help". But I do appreciate his .

    The point I was making though, was that you are making too many generalizations. Because you make it sound as though an INFP couldn't possibly lead ... anyone ... successfully. Let alone themselves!

    Unless I have completely missed your point, so please expand further so I can appreciate what you are trying to say.



    A good point, function order doesn't always seem to fit those neat MBTI models. Myself, I score high in Te and Fe, but does simply mean I have consciously developed these to fit my life situations? Perhaps. Using them does have a higher energy price tag attached. My energizing functions do seem to fit in the Ne / Fi categories.

    Just another example I think of how we are learning, growing, developing all the time.

    I think I have been definitely socialized into Fe (ha ha) but I do have an instinctive urge to protect weak or helpless things, and I feel a great deal of empathy for those who are truly suffering. Is that Fe or Fi?

    I know my Fi makes me more prickly, and I also relate to getting into the "Fi/Si" loop - especially when I was younger! That makes me think that it's my natural preference.

    It's also good to see another INFP who doesn't consider themselves extremely passive.

  3. #123
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    People ask me "Are you mad? Are you upset?" when I am not at all mad or upset and they won't take my word for it but keep asking. So there's some issue of vibes being felt and mis-interpreted there. It's usually a case of being asked a direct question that makes me say that these people are taking affront to something I am giving off that I am not trying to do.
    That may be Fe asking and not assuming your inner emotional state. I don't want to tell you how you should and should not handle things, I understand that people constantly asking you the same question over and over again is annoying and frustrating. But I ask you to not assume they're trying to irritate you. I don't know these people so I can't say what their intentions are. I don't know how to get more direct to a person than to outright ask, "Is Everything OK?" If your forehead looks like thunderclaps and storm clouds, it follows to me that something (unpleasant?) is brewing inside your head. Sometimes I'll remark about it and the person will laugh and say they were just thinking about something and it will smooth over. It may also be the case that when I have such an expression on my face I'm truly turning over something unpleasant in my mind. Since I don't like to assume what people are feeling, I'm back to square one asking "Is Everything OK?" I agree that people need to take the hint of when to back off. Once I realize that's a ordinary mannerism of yours, I cease to ask.

    This also depends on how close to me you are. I don't go around inquiring about the emotional states of strangers. I may make mental note ("Oh that cashier looks like she's in a bad mood.") but I don't try to hold an impromptu therapy session.

    I have uninvolved myself in many many situations and people over the last few years and I struggle with knowing when to be concerned about someone and when to keep my eyes straight in front of me. I am the type of person who rides the subway watching people and seeing more pain and hardened faces than you would think. I have a high external focus I pay very close attention to other people and if see a repeated pattern of someone consistently looking unsettled and I feel like they'd be receptive to me asking I do ask.

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    PSS. Your boss has always sounded like a living nightmare to work for. I'd really like to get the whole truth on how she got to be in her position. If she doesn't really manage, how does she avoid having a lot of errors and crisis?
    See the thing is, which is what I wonder about when people complain about the ExFJs and FJs in their life, is are they taking the 10 things that annoy them about this person and completely blowing it up to be the whole of their being? No one is trying to stop valid criticism. But the noise of I hate it when Fe does this and Fe does that is all you hear. And like I said already, the complaints aren't even original. It's the same old same old.

    About my boss: She has been at my organization for 15 years. If you've been at a place that long, you'll naturally go up the ladder simply by virtue of seniority or being the last man standing. My particular department has been through two turnovers since 2000 (I just started in 2006) and she is the person who's been here the longest and knows the most.

    I think she's a decent person and I can handle both her good and her bad qualities. She is not leadership material and she's not a good supervisor. Does that mean I dislike her as a person? No. I feel like I'm capable of separating her personal attributes from her professional ones. Her professional attributes are nightmarish occasionally, but I don't inflate those things to the whole of her person. It often seems to me that people inflate an FJs negative traits (which every person has) to some twisted caricature of the whole person. And then they give some MBTI cliche positive traits to make up for it and I see very little nuanced criticism of Fi (maybe because the second largest type group on the forum is INFP) to balance the criticism of Fe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I think it's best if both Fe and Fi users realize that there is in fact a communication problem and that it doesn't have to be about how annoying the other funtion is or how people 'abuse' it (though that certainly happens), but in fact misinterpreting each others good intentions.

    I'm also quite interested to see how our fav twins overcome this as they deal with this daily. Pink? Jaye? How do you guys keep misunderstandings to a minimum?

    Coz personally, I'd love to sort this out. I'd love to find the Stone of Rosetta on this one. I've done some discussing with Jeno about this on my profile, and by trying not to get defensive (though we failed several times and had to clarify our intents to prevent a complete misrepresentation/interpretation of the facts), we at least got some stuff cleared out but I haven't had a chance to with a Fe-dom yet. The thing is, to do this, you have to have some faith and trust and give the other the benefit of the doubt, and even then it's hard, I've noticed.

    Still, it would be worth the head aches and frustration I feel.
    Well I'm perfectly willing to get down to some real dialogue. I hope I've always communicated that about myself that I want to stop the BS misperceptions about Fe. But I'm most certainly not a one-woman army and I can't battle 10 people claiming this ExFJ is so horrible and treated them so badly, because maybe the ExFJ did. I don't know I'm not there. I don't claim to have a halo floating around my head and I can quite clearly see when I do engage in Bad Fe, I've got a dollop of self-awareness rolling around inside. But if you're going to judge an ExFJ on when they behave badly and broadcast it on the forum as if this is all they do that is completely unbalanced.

    And even considering the fact that ExFJs are outnumbered by any other type on this forum by at least 200:1 (I have no clue I made that up!!) ExFJs have very little voice to counteract and explain themselves. How many threads are there asking about the nuances of being an NP or NJ? How many threads do you see here asking nuanced questions to ExFJs or ESxJs?? Most of the time these types are mentioned is to complain, not to get into their psyche and see what makes them tick.

    When I see this same stuff repeated over and over again and no one seems to want to reach an understanding of anything they just want to rant I get frustrated because this is not what I believe the point of MBTI is. It seems to bring more division and unenlightenment than anything.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  4. #124
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Hence I'm kinda suggesting with my post that we step back, retract our claws, curb our frustration and look for a solution and start by understanding each other first. Ime, relapses are to be expected and parties should give each other the time to explain without getting defensive about being asked for an explanation or about the answer given. Assume the other party wants this as bad as you and ignore the frustration that comes with this type of territory. It's the only way we're going to get anywhere.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  5. #125
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Build a rosetta stone:

    Start by taking the interactions that Proteo observed. Break each down into steps.

    What was the Fi trying to say and what did Fe incorrectly percieve?
    If it had been Fi-Fi what would the result have been?

    Now do Fe communicating with Fi and Fe-Fe in the same scenario.

    Pick like five scenarios and play them this way step by step and identify where the communication errors are.

    develop an interpretation algorithm.

  6. #126
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    ^Agreed. And see what common ground you can find within those situations that you can use as a key to unlock the rest.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  7. #127
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Ok, I would like to back away from the bashing, and that includes my part in it. I apologize to anyone I may have directly offended in this thread. So...starting over.

    I would just like to explain that perhaps people have negative opinions of Fe because they had extremely bad experiences with it in childhood. I had a relative who would abuse people - oh my god she was horrible to more than one person, and did things I don't want to talk about here - but if a visitor came to the door, or if she was out in public, it was all smiles and "appropriate" behavior. Being around something like that long enough in childhood can give anyone a negative impression of high Fe.

    Especially if it's compounded later in life by more "normal" or "healthy" Fe users lecturing and judging me or others for not behaving as they do.

    This is just my experience. I am just trying to explain.

  8. #128
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    yesterday my ex mom-in-law took me to her church.

    This woman walks up and says "how are you feeling?" I said "fine". Then she said "No, how are you really feeling?" I stopped and actually paid attention to her. It didnt irritate me as much as make me pay attention to how I felt.

    She is super Fi and picked up on the fact that I was not happy having to be there and felt cranky and defensive. It was an interesting observation however she wants to drag my soul to jesus as well, so I had to run quickly at that point.

    However I could see this annoying the living shit out of most folks as it was instrusive-not controlling, but invasive of privacy.

  9. #129
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    ^Agreed. And see what common ground you can find within those situations that you can use as a key to unlock the rest.
    Can we do this in NF land-I keep losing this particular thread up here in all the subcatagories? Maybe make each scenario a seperate thread for clarity? Then each can get lots of Fi and Fe comments from across the spectrum.

    My suggestions:
    1) Fi and tertiary Fe miscommunication. It broke my heart a bit.

    2) Perhaps dom Fe and Fi-the emo dumping

    3) dom Fe-Fi the taking of things too personally, why do we interpret the Fe as being specific to us as indivduals

    and lots of other stuff too.

    In each most important-Not I hate you and you all suck but instead "This is what I meant to project/convey", and "this is what I perceived you to be conveying" for each scenario.

  10. #130
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    I'm very confused - I didn't see any bashing going on, or any reason for anyone to be upset. Is it just me?
    It kinda seemed like everyone just wanted to be heard.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] Are you "full of yourself?"
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM
  2. Are you wary of Te?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
  3. What are you proud of?
    By BlueSky in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 12:08 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM
  5. Are you afraid of water?
    By maliafee in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO