• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

hey Fs, explain how you see morality

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What does logic have to do with values? Serious question.

Well it sometimes has a connection. But when its not logic, what is it? That's my question.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What does logic have to do with values? Serious question.

Quite a bit in some ways. Values make us who we are. It seems that things that define us as individuals mix a lot like that. Values are logical, but they are also something that is meant to be felt and lived. They exist fully on both sides of the spectrum.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
I think objective morality is "my rights end where yours begin." That's why things like lying, stealing, cheating, rape, and murder are wrong: they interfere with the instrinsic right of other human beings. Overstepping the bounds, as one might say.

One might then say,"well it's in my rational self interest to (lie or cheat or steal)" but that really isn't rational. It isn't really rational to hurt others unless it's in self-defense. People are social animals, and interdependence tends to be what works best for us. It's in our rational self-interest to extend to others the same behavior with which we would like to be treated. It makes everything easier for everybody.

Morality can be very logical. But it isn't always.

Just to chime in with my difference of opinion, I don't always think things like lying or stealing are morally wrong. I avoid them, because trust is important and taking advantage of people does not help the world become a better place. But, for instance, if I was hiding people in my house to save them from someone who wanted to hurt them, I'd lie to protect them. To me, that's the more moral choice.

Similar to what you mentioned, I think my one main "rule" is to live your life however you like, as long as you're not causing harm to others and infringing on their personal rights.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Values are logical, but they are also something that is meant to be felt and lived. They exist fully on both sides of the spectrum.

Vital information for your everyday life.

Snow Turtle

Morals are subjective and dependant on the basic values that you believe in.

Foundation one:
It's not good to feel pain - I want to reduce pain in the world.