• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The practicality of MBTI in real life

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I'm intrigued by this concept. I should take a function test...

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Again, the standard "order" we think of when we think of MBTI is John Beebe's order, where the four functions associated with the type are paralleled by the four with opposite attitudes which are called "shadows". (A1-@2-ß1-B2-A2-@1-ß2-B1)
I finally got around to purchasing one of his articles online, and I'm going to also check out Living With Paradox and another book chapter he did; both of which he in the article referred to for more info on the shadows.
But so far, I have nowhere seen him say that the order he suggests are relative [U}strengths[/U]. In fact, he acknowledges that the 7th and 8th develop earlier than the numerical place; the 7th right after the 3rd, in fact. The eight archetypes are roles that the processes play; nothing more. I had come up with this idea for a test to sort the functions out by the roles: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...tb-s-ultimate-lucky-eight-archetype-test.html

I also find it helpful to incorporate Lenore Thomson's theory into it, as it shows why a person's 7th and/or 8th (according to Beebe) might be active. They are the same-side brain alternatives to the dominant and auxiliary.
So I would forget all of this assumption that the strength order has to follow the archetype order, or the entire MBTI is BS. You're confusing two different things.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're talking about the Singer Loomis site; I don't even think they offer the test. That site is selling the materials for those who want to administer the test. (Whom I can't find, anywhere). I recently wrote them aabout where to find the test offered, and haven't heard from them yet. Singer-Loomis does sound very interesting.