• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Function Order Game

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, I made this post in this thread:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/19003-specific-examples-te-vs-ti.html

But thought it might be fun to discuss it some more and see what people's results are :D Enjoy!

Scenario: How did you pick out what you wore today? (Go about it yourself and take note of how you decided... it's fun to recognize how closely the processes go with your function order)

Information-Accessing Processes -- Perception

Se: Experiencing the immediate context; taking action in the physical world; noticing changes and opportunities for action; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; Recognizing "what is." Noticing what was available, trying on different items, and seeing how they look.

Si: Reviewing past experiences; "what is" evoking "what was"; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been. Remembering the last time you wore a particular item or the last time you were at a similar event-- maybe even remembering how you felt then.

Ne: Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change "what is" for "what could possibly be"; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts. Noticing possible meanings of what you might wear: "Wearing this might communicate..."

Ni: Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing "what will be"; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols. Envisioning yourself in an outfit or maybe envisioning yourself in a certain way.

Organizing-Evaluating Processes-- Judgment

Te: Segmenting; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not. Sorting out different colors and styles; thinking about the consequences, as in "Since I have to stand all day..."

Ti: Analyzing;
categorizing; evaluating according to principles and weather something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision. Analyzing your options using principles like comfort or "Red is a power color."

Fe: Connecting;
considering others and the group--organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting to and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others. Considering what would be appropriate for the situation: "one should or shouldn't wear..." or "People will think..."

Fi: Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for. Evaluating whether you like an outfit or not: "This outfit suits me and feels right."

For instance... when I did this test, my first thought was: "Okay, well I'm not doing a whole lot today and not seeing a whole lot of people so I won't wear any of my favorite clothes and I want to be comfortable." I then began walking to my closet thinking "Comfort. Comfort. Goin' for comfortable." Then I stepped into my closet and immediately zeroed in on the big comfy t-shirts I had available to me. Next, I always wear jeans. I like envisioning myself as a laid-back, but trendy jeans and cool t-shirt kinda person (at least on my "chill" days...)... so I went with my super mario bros. tee and my favorite comfy jeans. Lastly, I recalled I was meeting up with my boyfriend for lunch and one of his co-workers -might- come... Was what I chose appropriate? I didn't want his co-worker thinking I was sloppy, or something of the sort. Yep... Ti > Se > Ni > Fe

Notice how easy it is to mix functions up according to your unique order function. When I first read Te, I thought... wait... I did that didn't I? Then I read Ti... and there was "analyzing options according to principles like comfort" right off the bat. I could go on, and on... but I think y'all get the gist :)

_________
Edit: I took out the quotes so you could see the italic parts... to help with you figure out what you did when you picked out clothes :p

G

garbage

I kind of like the functions boiled down to a single word apiece. The extroverted and introverted versions of each function seem similar but different enough to be distinguished.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Really greed? Please distinguish Ni and Ne for me?

For the life of me I can't see how their descriptions, other than the titles (interpreting, foreseeing) differs.

G

garbage

Really greed? Please distinguish Ni and Ne for me?

For the life of me I can't see how their descriptions, other than the titles (interpreting, foreseeing) differs.

I noticed that, too; Ne and Ni definitions are usually pretty similar to me, too. But the main difference is in envisioning what "will be" and what "could be." This implies that Ni/Ne exhibit the difference that introversion/extroversion tends to imply.

By these definitions above, Ni is about depth--that is, one possibility in detail and full confidence. Full realization of an idea.

Ne is more about breadth, with many potential possibilities available at surface level, then potentially exploring a bit deeper in each. Seeing various threads of potential and connections in some phenomenon.

Again, very similar in terms of what they work with, but different enough in their implementation. There's gonna be some mixture of both in any intuiting process.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I woke up and this was what I had on. What function is that?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
By these definitions above, Ni is about depth--that is, one possibility in detail and full confidence. Full realization of an idea.

Ne is more about breadth, with many potential possibilities available at surface level, then potentially exploring a bit deeper in each. Seeing various threads of potential and connections in some phenomenon.
*nods* I guess that is probably the main differentiation between the two, the process of exploration. I too use both Ni and Ne frequently.

Te > Qu > Il > A ?
What is Qu, Il, A representing? I'm unfamiliar with socionics...

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
AHAHAHA.

Sounds like Entropie or Thatgirl's function order.

:D

I noticed that, too; Ne and Ni definitions are usually pretty similar to me, too. But the main difference is in envisioning what "will be" and what "could be." This implies that Ni/Ne exhibit the difference that introversion/extroversion tends to imply.

Again, very similar in terms of what they work with, but different enough in their implementation. There's gonna be some mixture of both in any intuiting process.

That's a good way to describe it. I think when peoples' Ni and Ne is closer together, it's harder to see the difference. For those who have Ni and Ne further apart, it's easier to separate. Take the ISTP: our primary functions are Ti > Se > Ni > Fe... and our shadow functions (last four) are Te > Si > Ne > Fi. My point being, I hardly ever use Ne. More importantly, Se ("This is what is." ) is my second function. Therefore I rarely change the "what is" into "what could possibly be" like the Ne. This helps me recognize when I use Ni. I don't search for all the possibilities, I zero on the most likely outcome. For instance, take me and my ENFP sister when we're cleaning out our closets. I take one look at things and my Ni tells me either "Oh, I'll wear this again" and keep it or "Who am I kidding, I'm most likely not going to wear this again" and trash it. My sister will see an old skirt she wore in high school and be like "Well maybe I can use it for halloween" or "if I fix it up a little it could look sexier" or ... the list goes on. This is why my closet is barren and there's shrunken sweaters she still has from 6th grade in her closet.