User Tag List

123 Last

Default Those Crazy Introverts... I just don't get them...

How is it that so many introverts such as myself don't like too much company for too much time because it causes overstimulation; and yet we (or at least I) can spend several hours a day in a place like this having many rather stimulating conversations with so many people and not sweat it?
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Mainly because they aren't in our immediate space, and we don't feel pressure to keep them entertained or be focused on doing something the whole time. Also, we can withdraw and think about what we'll say, while in real life, we just have to say whatever comes to mind and live with the consequences. Finally, if we did make a mistake and everyone came to hate us, we could just leave everything behind.

So...

1. Less intrusive.

2. Lower likelihood of error.

3. Weaker consequences in event of error.

What do you think?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    How is it that so many introverts such as myself don't like too much company for too much time because it causes overstimulation; and yet we (or at least I) can spend several hours a day in a place like this having many rather stimulating conversations with so many people and not sweat it?
    Because talking and communicating are two entirely separate things.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INXP

I read far more threads than I reply to, and then I say very little. There are degrees of introversion. I keep myself to myself, even on forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    What do you think?
    That sounds about right.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

MBTI
    ISTP

IMO, degree of sensory input. When communicating in person, the amount of information that needs to be processed changes. The cues that we get are overwhelming for us, whereas Es get charged on it. (Think of it like adding salt to a solution... Is can get super-saturated and collapse while Es don't have enough salt to start with and take a lot before they reach their limit).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    IMO, degree of sensory input. When communicating in person, the amount of information that needs to be processed changes. The cues that we get are overwhelming for us, whereas Es get charged on it.
    Uh huh, it's basically all stimulation to the nervous system, and introverts just cannot deal with as much as extroverts can. We need time away, to get everything together and let things dissipate. Meanwhile, extroverts enjoy the stimulation and it wakes them up for even more; without it, they tend to run out of gas...

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    1. Less intrusive.
    2. Lower likelihood of error.
    3. Weaker consequences in event of error.
    Yes, and much of it can be summed up with "being in control of the interaction." Online, I can control very quickly and easily how much stimulation I'm getting and how much energy I am expending. If I need space, I just get up and go away. And I only need to respond to someone after I have thought out my answer.

Real-life conversations can cause anxiety because it is all real-time, I don't get to edit what I say, and I can't just leave or stop communicating without first negotiating that change with the other people in the conversation (without being considered rude).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Uh huh, it's basically all stimulation to the nervous system, and introverts just cannot deal with as much as extroverts can. We need time away, to get everything together and let things dissipate. Meanwhile, extroverts enjoy the stimulation and it wakes them up for even more; without it, they tend to run out of gas...
    It's worth reading this exchange on the biology behind introversion. It's quite counter intuitive when taken as a whole but, IMO, should show why I push Is to be a little bit more like Es, much to the dismay of many here

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Talking directly with people requires thinking in real time in order to work out what to say, whereas on the computer there's more time to process information and figure out what to say. (This may overlap with the stuff described above.)

Oral communication requires putting your thoughts into a sequence other people can understand.

When I am writing, I can change the order that things are presented to (hopefully) make more sense to people.

My thought pattern can seem very random or chaotic in oral communication. Still, I think there is some method to it.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield