User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Mainly because they aren't in our immediate space, and we don't feel pressure to keep them entertained or be focused on doing something the whole time. Also, we can withdraw and think about what we'll say, while in real life, we just have to say whatever comes to mind and live with the consequences. Finally, if we did make a mistake and everyone came to hate us, we could just leave everything behind.

So...

1. Less intrusive.

2. Lower likelihood of error.

3. Weaker consequences in event of error.

What do you think?
    I agree.

I like having an intellectual discussion,
    but I am in my nice quiet room.
    I get the mental stim and not the physical stim.

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    IMO, degree of sensory input. When communicating in person, the amount of information that needs to be processed changes. The cues that we get are overwhelming for us, whereas Es get charged on it. (Think of it like adding salt to a solution... Is can get super-saturated and collapse while Es don't have enough salt to start with and take a lot before they reach their limit).
    Yeah, you're right. I have an extremely extroverted friend who talks most of the time. The problem is, she keeps saying the same things all over again, while I'm still thinking of some new thing to discuss with her. She can be overwhelming sometimes, but I treasure her as a friend because of her frankness and outspoken manner.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My mom is an ENFP, and she just won't shut up. I can't take all of what she's saying and I eventually get a headache (she will talk for an hour or more if you let her, I get a headache after 15 minutes straight of it), and because of the fact that I can't listen to her for longer than 15 minutes she thinks that I hate her and never want to hear anything she has to say. She scares everyone off this way and takes personal offense when they don't want to deal with her again. I get a headache after 15 minutes because she will change the topic she's talking about 5 times and all the while she's talking I will try to think of a response, but I just can't add anything in because she will change topic and won't stop talking. I think this is because she gets cooped up at work all week and when I go to her house for the weekend (dads for the week days) she wants to talk. But why me?! She has friends! She does this with all of her friends and everyone she talks to, most of her friends are extroverts though so they will start talking while she is so she is forced to be quiet. But I just can't do that, I don't think that way (I think it's rude). When I try to get any point across she will start talking over me if she in any way disagrees with it. If we are talking about something important I tell her "if you don't let me talk then I will just leave."

How can ANYONE have the need to talk that much? It's so confusing to me. Her extreme extroversion (it shows in other places too) is pretty much destroying our relationship.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

whoa black cat! i only know one person like that...i don't know her type...probably esfj?? i'm not sure but i hate that too...she's a great friend of mine and i love her to pieces but my god it's frustrating sitting through monologues...conversations are supposed to flow both ways. i'm very conscious of talking too much and at some point it must have become really important for me not too because i really don't...it may have had something to do with growing up with that girl as my best friend....hmmm....i can imagine how annoying that is for you!

i think i'm the type of extravert that likes to make other people talk....which also may be annoying...i have no idea.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    How is it that so many introverts such as myself don't like too much company for too much time because it causes overstimulation; and yet we (or at least I) can spend several hours a day in a place like this having many rather stimulating conversations with so many people and not sweat it?
    We can leave any time we want, we don't HAVE to be here.

We don't have to see the others face to face.

We can do other things whilst talking with them.

....on top of all the other reasons posters have listed...
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    We can do other things whilst talking with them.
    If you really can't get away my personal favourite is zoning out.

How is it that so many introverts such as myself don't like too much company for too much time because it causes overstimulation; and yet we (or at least I) can spend several hours a day in a place like this having many rather stimulating conversations with so many people and not sweat it?
    The interwebz isn't real... you're actually talking to robots
    *freaky music plays*

Lasting_Pain

Lacks the physical connection. Internet is rather impersonal.

MBTI
    IXXP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    If you really can't get away my personal favourite is zoning out.
    I zone out all the time. It has been referred to as "staring through people." Just can't help it.

In my mind, I am thinking, "get to the point, please." Too much stim!

MBTI
    IxtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    I read far more threads than I reply to, and then I say very little. There are degrees of introversion. I keep myself to myself, even on forums.
    Yeah, me too. Some people here have more posts than I do on 10+ different forums combined.
    Under Construction