123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Default Type and Inferiority Complexes

According to Dr. John Beebe, people have inferiority complexes surrounding the use of their inferior functions. The feeling of inferiority that results from having limited facility with a function results in a drive to overcompensate. A person will be sensitive to criticism of their inferior function use and will feel the need to "make up for it."

I am curious to know how others experience their inferior function, and if they experience the sort of complex described above. So, do you? And if you do, what does it end up looking like in terms of your external behavior?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISFJ

Bad Si is a blessing!

Except when I can't find my car keys...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

When I was a teen, by the end of the volleyball season I was consistently starting, but at the beginning I'd shank balls left and right, hit into the net, etc. etc.
    At the start of the season, people would always wonder why I got way worse as I grew older, but really it was just that they needed to see me in the last few weeks of the season, not the first few weeks. It really takes time for me to engage my Se in a way that I'm not overthinking how to use it and thus failing at it.
    And I felt pretty dumb not performing well at grade 11 tryouts, because our last game in the playoffs in grade 10 my coach said i was his best player (which was not usually the case, but the case that game). I wanted to control my Se but it's really hard to do that!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    xxxx

I don't really believe I have an inferiority complex around Fe. Sure, I may occasionally be an unethical, unemotional asshole with an ego the size of China, but it doesn't really bother me. If you've read my posts on this forum, you'll know I'm a believer of "play by your strengths." I like to think that a limited Fe allows me to embrace my inner creative genius. Sure, my calculations may occasionally not factor in a human element, but there are so many solutions you can create when you aren't tied down by how your solution may be offensive to one group or another. Call it arrogance, if you will, but someone has to be the mean cop.

Of course, my inferior function isn't completely unused. I do have my "caring" moments which even amaze myself. However, I don't pretend to be an expert at the touchy-feely game. In personal interactions, I make myself useful by listening to the problems of others and offering solutions; (however unconventional they may be) just don't ask me for emotional support.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    I

Is inferior the absolute last function you use? Like for ISTJs, is it generally Ni?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No "inferior" is the 4th slot. Being Ne for ISTJs (but you knew that).

The ISJs I know, when they actually do get to using Ne, blow me away with how random they are.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    No "inferior" is the 4th slot. Being Ne for ISTJs (but you knew that).
    Ah alright.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I mostly suck at Te, i've increasingly found it harder and harder to pass any sort of certain judgement on anyone/thing.

Unhealthy/untempered Te is probably my least liked function in other people, perhaps that is some kind of projection.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Inferior Se makes me lose touch with factual realities, as I get sucked down the Ni rabbit hole, with a light at the end of the tunnel, a destination to point towards, leading to a broad and limitless horizon ahead Se can connect with, the combination of the primary function with the inferior function leading to the ultimate liberation from this dimension.

Frankly I don't know what I'm talking about, though hopefully folks that sounded at least mildly interesting!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quenk's Was That Really Me is all about this.

For me, it was always feeling inferior in groups of people, and a need for acceptance from others. Overcompensating was avoiding those people and behaviors seen as "bad" in society.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas