• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

surplus Fe

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
ok

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please be so kind as to lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

I try.

Say your first (the primary function) is Fe and your fourth function is Fi. They are both in the main line. In other words, they are both your dominant functions.

You are a Fe > Fi.

The Fe covers all the Fi. The Fi does not cover all the Fe.

What happens to the surplus Fe? ;)

lastrailway

Spreads on the world around?
The Fi neutralises an equal amount of Fe and the rest is what is finally expressed?
Are Fe and Fi like matter and antimatter? :)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah you seem to have such a view on the interaction of functions I haven't seen before. What do you mean by Fe covering Fi? Do you mean that Fe is used in all situations where Fi is used, and in others, too? How do you relate Fi and Fe?

This "surplus" thing makes me think of producer-consumer model in logistics, or something with equal logic. I.e. one produces, other consumes. To my knowledge, Fi and Fe don't work like that. Mind explaining?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah you seem to have such a view on the interaction of functions I haven't seen before. What do you mean by Fe covering Fi? Do you mean that Fe is used in all situations where Fi is used, and in others, too? How do you relate Fi and Fe?

This "surplus" thing makes me think of producer-consumer model in logistics, or something with equal logic. I.e. one produces, other consumes. To my knowledge, Fi and Fe don't work like that. Mind explaining?
What is left behind creates its own entity.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So, Fe covers all of Fi? Not exactly. On the outside, yes. But from the observer's perspective? No. The missing element? Direct experience of the emotion by the observer. It's felt by the others, and can be internally confirmed by the observer via their reflections and ideas, even written, but never seen directly on the internal level. The price of Fe warmth and light for others is an inner numbness. We can easily know what we are feeling, and are driven to know. But we can only know, not feel. The advantage? Awareness of what others are feeling.Does Fi exist in Fe's? Technically yes. But we aren't directly aware of it. The Intuitive is luckier, though. Intuition acts as the best mirror.

How do we know that waves exist outside the visible spectrum if we can't see them? By the effect they have on objects attuned to their presence.

How did Newton discover gravity? Did he see it with his eyes? No. He saw the apple fall, and inferred gravity from the impact it had upon the apple.

The reason we constantly output emotion is in hopes that another will reflect it back. Holding a forward-directed flashlight, desperate for mirrors, but all the mirrors are slightly flawed, curved, or dim. So we need several to get a glimpse of ourselves.

So, Fe is feeling projected onto the object, reflected back. What you believed covered Fi was only the reflection of it.

Last edited:

lastrailway

Given that somebody cannot have in the main line Fe as dominant and Fi as fourth function, I guess wildcat's question was not speaking literally.

Or there could be a parallel order of the funcions.
i.e.: ENFJ
Original chart:
Fe, Ni, Ne, Fi main, secondary Si, Te, Ti, Se
then, neutralising the functions:
Fe+Fi=Fe (Fe>Fi): Fe 1st main, Fi 1st secondary
Ni+Ne=Ni (Ni>Ne): Ni 2d main, Ne 2d secundary
Se+Si=Se (Si>Se but negative): Se 3d main, Si 3d secondary
Te+Ti=Ti (Te>Ti but negative): Ti 4th main, Te 4th secondary

Then, neutralised ENFJ chart: the usual

And so it can go for the rest of the types/functions

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
So, Fe covers all of Fi? Not exactly. On the outside, yes. But from the observer's perspective? No. The missing element? Direct experience of the emotion by the observer. It's felt by the others, and can be internally confirmed by the observer via their reflections and ideas, even written, but never seen directly on the internal level. The price of Fe warmth and light for others is an inner numbness. We can easily know what we are feeling, and are driven to know. But we can only know, not feel. The advantage? Awareness of what others are feeling.Does Fi exist in Fe's? Technically yes. But we aren't directly aware of it. The Intuitive is luckier, though. Intuition acts as the best mirror.

How do we know that waves exist outside the visible spectrum if we can't see them? By the effect they have on objects attuned to their presence.

How did Newton discover gravity? Did he see it with his eyes? No. He saw the apple fall, and inferred gravity from the impact it had upon the apple.

The reason we constantly output emotion is in hopes that another will reflect it back. Holding a forward-directed flashlight, desperate for mirrors, but all the mirrors are slightly flawed, curved, or dim. So we need several to get a glimpse of ourselves.

So, Fe is feeling projected onto the object, reflected back. What you believed covered Fi was only the reflection of it.
I was listening to Leonard Cohen songs. It is interesting how he is absolutely turned inward when he sings. And yet he conveys the message.
Reflection only. All right.

A beautiful reflection though.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Given that somebody cannot have in the main line Fe as dominant and Fi as fourth function, I guess wildcat's question was not speaking literally.

Or there could be a parallel order of the funcions.
i.e.: ENFJ
Original chart:
Fe, Ni, Ne, Fi main, secondary Si, Te, Ti, Se
then, neutralising the functions:
Fe+Fi=Fe (Fe>Fi): Fe 1st main, Fi 1st secondary
Ni+Ne=Ni (Ni>Ne): Ni 2d main, Ne 2d secundary
Se+Si=Se (Si>Se but negative): Se 3d main, Si 3d secondary
Te+Ti=Ti (Te>Ti but negative): Ti 4th main, Te 4th secondary

Then, neutralised ENFJ chart: the usual

And so it can go for the rest of the types/functions
And so we are in the beginning again.
A little wiser, perhaps.