User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Is there any correlation? I would assume that I corresponds to melancholy and E corresponds to sanguine while J corresponds to choleric and P to phlegmatic. But, looking at my own personality (ISTJ - Melancholy Phlegmatic), I think it's more complicated than that.
    I thought ISTJ was purely Melancholy? I definitely also have a Melancholy Phlegmatic temperament though, so there could be something in it.

MBTI
    ENFP

I find this quite interesting actually! Anyone know about homeopathic types as I feel that that may spring up an interesting correlation too.. WIll have to dig out a homeopathic diagnostic thingy for yall
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I thought ISTJ was purely Melancholy? I definitely also have a Melancholy Phlegmatic temperament though, so there could be something in it.
    ISTJ is pure Melancholy because both "Chart the Course" (IST) and "Guardian" (SJ) both represent two aspects of the general Melancholy profile. People can also have a third temperament area, where they can be another temperament. So maybe you're a Mel-Mel-Phleg.

To answer the post you quoted, Melancholy is not I by itself, as I (introversion) is only one one of the two factors. The other factor making up Melancholy is task-focus or directiveness, which is determined by T for Sensors, and J for iNtuitors.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wild horses View Post
    I find this quite interesting actually! Anyone know about homeopathic types as I feel that that may spring up an interesting correlation too.. WIll have to dig out a homeopathic diagnostic thingy for yall
    What cafe said way back when;

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't think MBTI temperaments correlate with humors temperaments particularly well.
    I know quite a bit about them but the more I learn about MBTI the more pointless I see trying to correlate one with the other. That said these two are backwards;

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    NTs phlegmatic
    NFs choleric

deleted

I don't count supine as a temperament. Why? because it doesn't actually qualify as a temperament description.

Depends upon the person/depends upon the personality. So there is correlation.

High Arousal-Pleasant = Sanguine
    Low Arousal-Pleasant = Phlegmatic
    High Arousal-Unpleasant = Choleric
    Low Arousal-Unpleasant = Melancholic

Word of advice, don't always relate Choleric with Anger. Choleric can mean many emotions of the "High Arousal-Unpleasant" category such as Fear. Anger and Fear can both come from the same arousal of course.

your resident asshole

Well, I took this test >> OneIshy :: Personality/Temperament Test a lil while ago and I got Phlegmatic Melancholy. It fits my personality almost perfectly.

However, according to what everyone is saying, ISFPs do not have the Phlegmatic Melancholy personality. =P

MBTI
    ENFP

Oh no trinity..... You are trying to kill me... an innocent ENFP cos 'what cafe said way back when' would mean I would have to look for it and being VERY sleep deprived and generally an ENFP with no concentration span I'm going to have to assume it's what you have further down the post and so in response.... fair point
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    I don't count supine as a temperament. Why? because it doesn't actually qualify as a temperament description.

Depends upon the person/depends upon the personality. So there is correlation.

High Arousal-Pleasant = Sanguine
    Low Arousal-Pleasant = Phlegmatic
    High Arousal-Unpleasant = Choleric
    Low Arousal-Unpleasant = Melancholic
    The Supine temperament was discovered apparently by realizing that the Phlegmatic is really moderate in both of those scales. He does appear "low arousal", but it's really for a different reason than the Melancholic. The Melancholic is driven by fear (rejection, failure, etc), the Phlegmatic simply has low energy. The Phlegmatic also appears "pleasant" compared to the Melancholic and choleric, but in reality can "take people or leave them". This also is due to the lack of energy that pushes the other temperaments to either want or reject others.

There also happened to be some people who were very fearful of rejection like the Melancholic, but had a high need for other people like a Sanguine. This is what the supine is, and I can certainly testify of those needs.

These images illustrate the concept:

http://www.erictb.info/grayscales.jpg

Word of advice, don't always relate Choleric with Anger. Choleric can mean many emotions of the "High Arousal-Unpleasant" category such as Fear. Anger and Fear can both come from the same arousal of course.
    True, but the Choleric traditionally has the least problems with fear, due to their expressive and directive (i.e. "unpleasant") nature.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)

Type Ideas

MBTI
    TiSe

I originally considered Temperament and MBT the same, however after studying Berens and Nardi's work I can appreciate the obvious distinictions. I have said before the succession of general to specific is quite clear:

Temperament is very general and makes distinctions between the four groups. This is a very good place for newcomers to limit their choice of type to four. I am in complete disagreement that Keirsey's system allows you to determine your type for obvious reasons that I have posted more than once on the forum. Keirsey considered the introversion of NT and NF types, but wrote his SP descriptions based on the extraverted function.

MBTI allows one to go to the next level, but does it using dichotomies. By now everyone knows my opinion of dichotomies and the system seems to keep you in a circular reasoning because the dichotomies are forced choices. In truth no one is 100% any dichotomy.

Jung is too wordy for the average person, but the cognitive functions can give you at least an indication of preference. In the end temperament, in my opinion gives a very good general indication of your preference for core values and Jung's cognitive functions allows you to pinpoint your exact type. MBTI in my opinion is entertainment reading but is not always applicable.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Temperament seems to be a combination of needs driven ultimately by the cognitive preferences. Like an "introvert" being determined by having an introverted function as dominant. Whether the judgment is Thinking or Feeling, or whether the J is extraverted then determines the other temperament factor (responsiveness). So they are very much two sides of the same coin.
    But yes, temperament is more general or elementary and cognitive dynamics more in depth.

Type Ideas