User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Best Describes Your Approach to MBTI?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nominalist

7 18.92%
  • Realist

24 64.86%
  • Social-constructivist

6 16.22%
12 Last

MBTI
    ERTP

Default What Best Describes Your Approach to MBTI?

Nominalist
    E, I, S, N, F, T, J, P all exist a-priori , that is, they exist independently of human perception. The cathegories are there just as they were there before psychologists started desribing human personality and they desribe reality absolutely.

Realist
    Reality is constantly mutating and morphing. Like light it can never really be truly caught or desribed but E, I, S, N, F, T, J, P are relatively precise ways of describing human personality even if they are ultimately approximated.

Social-constructivist
    E, I, S, N, F, T, J, P concertly form a complex set of goggels that we unwittingly supercede upon ourselves. In doing so, we create confirmation bias, conditioning ourselves to see people primarily through whatever inclanation we believe their type to have.
    Last edited by Blackwater; 09-27-2007 at 01:26 AM.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    ERTP

No Social-Constructivists? I guess they won't be hanging around the MBTIc unless they are somewhat strange.

Then again, INTPs are somewhat strange...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I really don't think anyone is going to be a Nominalist.

As for Realist, the one I chose, I would extend that idea to everything. Things can only be approximated based on our perceptions, not known. But our perceptions are good enough for most purposes, although we should always acknowledge that there could be a flaw in them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

well, of course things can only be approximated based of our perceptions; perceptions limit the stimulus information we can think about. and our perceptions on personality are very limited.

all the same, i do believe that personality exists independently of human perception. an alien who knew MBTI perfectly could come and slot humans into the 16 types.

Or a better system. I don't think MBTI is perfect, of course.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

It's an approximation that works o.k. for classifying and predicting what people will do.

MBTI
    ERTP

I really don't think anyone is going to be a Nominalist.
    Well as you can see there are. The logic is hard to follow from the realist's perspective but its certainly there and well established, I might add, after 2000 years of Plato and Christianity

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Well as you can see there are. The logic is hard to follow from the realist's perspective but its certainly there and well established, I might add, after 2000 years of Plato and Christianity
    Yup, the appeal to the Ideal.

I'm some variation of Realist, but I can't quite agree with everything you said. (Especially since you were equating J/P to the other functions, whereas it is really not a function pair.)

In practice, I find MBTI very useful and it works. But I think confirmation bias is a very real danger and must be kept in mind.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    No Social-Constructivists? I guess they won't be hanging around the MBTIc unless they are somewhat strange.

Then again, INTPs are somewhat strange...
    I'm an INTP and I voted Realist. The Social-Constructivists position doesn't give the theories any credit for how accurate they are sometimes. I read an INTP description that was extremely precise.
    "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be." - Dead Poets Society

Enneagram: 5w4 sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I actually think most people are Social-Constructivists. They just don't realize it. Look at all the stereotyping that occurs in the threads on this forum (and INTPc). It's rampant.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Typology is within human nature. If our perceptions are likely accurate enough, nominalism will be sufficient. Realism, the way you described it suggests that we are far off.

Puzzling why you wish to label the former as nominalism and the latter as realism. Nominalism implies pertaining to the 'name' more than to the essence.

Are you suggesting that the latter approach is simply more 'realistic'. In that case it must be shown that typology does not accurately depict the unconscious tendencies within human nature. Without an argument for that, the term realism is not warranted.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/