User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Best Describes Your Approach to MBTI?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nominalist

7 18.92%
  • Realist

24 64.86%
  • Social-constructivist

6 16.22%
First 12

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I actually think most people are Social-Constructivists. They just don't realize it. Look at all the stereotyping that occurs in the threads on this forum (and INTPc). It's rampant.
    Yes, most people are social-constructivists in a way that you use that word. Though typology is best utilized to obtain an understanding of human nature, rather than behavior of particular individuals or groups of individuals.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Well as you can see there are. The logic is hard to follow from the realist's perspective but its certainly there and well established, I might add, after 2000 years of Plato and Christianity
    That is called process metaphysics, a doctrine which is highly likely true. Just because reality is in a state of perpetual flux, it does not mean that our type changes. This world changes, but we can extrapolate the patterns by which it operates, those do not change. Much like Galileo once said that mathematics is the language that God wrote the universe with.

So, this is how mathematics symbolizes the way the world works: we have principles of mathematical reasoning which represent the laws of nature, and we ahve the variables that are operated by these principles that are always in a state of flux.

5,6,7.9..the numbers, they always change, though the laws of addition, multiplication, division never do. The J,P,T,N are the principles of human nature, the numbers that do change are how they interplay with each other in people. So, the numbers are the way people of certain types relate to each other and to the external world, though their unconscious tendencies stay unaltered because they represent general patterns within human nature and not specific ways in which human nature manifests externally.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    So, the numbers are the way people of certain types relate to each other and to the external world, though their unconscious tendencies stay unaltered because they represent general patterns within human nature and not specific ways in which human nature manifests externally.
    Are you willing to claim that no other patterns would grant equally valid results/predictions, then?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Are you willing to claim that no other patterns would grant equally valid results/predictions, then?

They'd have to do a better job of depicting the bigger picture of how human nature works.

But then again, just because we found better patterns of how human nature works, this does not mean that the MBTI patterns changed. It only means that we discovered that MBTI described only a small part of human nature, and something else that we've just come across covers more ground.

MBTI
    INTP

My approach to MBTI? Shaken, not stirred.

PROTEST!

MBTI
    ERTP

(Especially since you were equating J/P to the other functions, whereas it is really not a function pair.)
    nor is I/E. - actually i know what you mean but in this respect it doesn't really matter.

I actually think most people are Social-Constructivists. They just don't realize it.
    i agree. but this poll monitors people own percieved approach to MBTI.

Puzzling why you wish to label the former as nominalism and the latter as realism. Nominalism implies pertaining to the 'name' more than to the essence.
    yerh i know its pretty counter-intuitive but i didn't coin the phrases. but the historical idea behind the terms are, that the essences exist and all that we need to do it label them. apple. table. feeling. and the realists being opposed to that because, in their oppinion, essenses are only approximated attempts to describe reality, thus realism. to use an anachronistic epigram, existance precedes essence to these people.

so no, i am not saying that realism is more realistic.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't see all of them as being mutually exclusive. I agree with the realist assessment of MBTI, but no one is perfectly realistic.
    I don't wanna!