MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ok, now that I see my information being safely received, I am fine
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

My question is regarding whether a directing and informing personality style prefers the same when interacting interpersonally. Not whether they use a certain style.

Ok maybe I understand what Blackcat was saying. Enneagram could influence someone's preference. A type 8 may prefer, in general, a direct style, whereas a 9 may prefer more informing?

Is this just a non issue in typology? I'd like to be able to use it to understand my own attitude. I call myself INFJ because I relate more to Ni/Fe than Fi/Ne, however I can drive people crazy when I use informing rather than directing. I think I prefer informing people more than directing because people are so sensitive (maybe I'm projecting onto them though).

I read once that when directing types use an informing style and vice versa, they don't come off as natural sounding, it's a struggle to communicate using your non dominant style (and thus irritating to the receiver of the message I would assume, from my own experience). However, learning to communicate more effectively involves adopting strategies from each style when the situation calls for it.

My sister, for example, who has always been much more directive than me, throws me off when she softens her approach. It seems so unnatural for her to communicate like this, but I find it easier to listen to her. I'm always waiting for her to switch back to her default mode, which invariably occurs.

entropie, I wasn't ignoring you. I find my preference for this to be relationship and context dependent and varies based on my mood.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't think I understand your question wren. Directing/Informing is all about interpersonal interaction. It isn't about anything else. It's how you prefer to communicate with others. Directing personalities prefer to communicate in a direct manner, Infoming personalities prefer to communicate through passing information.

First, I'm not sure if this is clear, but INFJ is a directing type. You say you drive people crazy when you use informing, but then you say you prefer informing because people are so sensitive? Do people react well when you are informing or no? I would say that other directing types prefer direct communication, however I think culture has a lot to do with it. In America, direct is the ideal way to communicate, so many people who are naturally informing types probably feel uncomfortable and inadequate with their own style. On the other hand, Japan is an informing style culture, so direct people might feel uncomfortable there. So which style we prefer from others may be influenced by culture.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinspring View Post
    I don't think I understand your question wren. Directing/Informing is all about interpersonal interaction. It isn't about anything else. It's how you prefer to communicate with others. Directing personalities prefer to communicate in a direct manner, Infoming personalities prefer to communicate through passing information.

First, I'm not sure if this is clear, but INFJ is a directing type. You say you drive people crazy when you use informing, but then you say you prefer informing because people are so sensitive? Do people react well when you are informing or no? I would say that other directing types prefer direct communication, however I think culture has a lot to do with it. In America, direct is the ideal way to communicate, so many people who are naturally informing types probably feel uncomfortable and inadequate with their own style. On the other hand, Japan is an informing style culture, so direct people might feel uncomfortable there. So which style we prefer from others may be influenced by culture.
    Interpersonal interaction is dyadic, involving a sender and receiver, so I'm breaking it down to study each role. My question is in respect to the person who is taking on the role of receiver. From what I've read about informing and directing, these styles refer primarily to the sender.

Therefore, I was asking whether one prefers the sender's style of communicating to be the same as yours (i.e. if you are an informer type do you prefer informing over a direct and vice versa).

When I referred to myself, I was saying the reason I choose infj over infp is because of the dominant and auxilliary function, not because of the directing/informing category. I know that infj is known to be a directing style. My point was that I don't consider my type to be infj for that reason.

To answer your question, my informing style can annoy people and when I use a direct style, people can be annoyed as well, however, I would rather people be directly informing with me, and polite as well. Now I've confused even myself.

The point you made about the cultural environment one grows up in was a good one. Maybe the way we prefer to have people communicate is more diverse and dependent on context than the way we communicate to others, which could be more stable as a function of type.

Americans constantly ask me to be direct.

Yet indirection is the voice of diplomacy or negotiation or even the voice of poetry.

Indirection allows for possibilities to open up, while direction closes them down.

Direction is convergent, while indirection is divergent.

So direction is the language of control, while indirection is the language of discovery.

But in truth they are two sides of the same coin - they are point and counter-point.