User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFj

Default INTJs given an unfair advantage in public schools?

I was thinking today about what personality type would do the best in school and I had this idea that INTJ would do the best because the teaching system is slanted towards that. Think about it, introverts who can easily understand abstraction and theory who will diligently spend time outside of class working on their homework which will probably include an abstract essay or reading of theory.

I lived with an INTJ for 6 years and we both went to college. He seemed to be able to do the same work as me with ease in about half the time, while I was pulling my hair out trying to get through it all. So that got me thinking about something else, do you supposed that if you conducted a survey, that you would find ESFPs do the worst in school and INTJs do the best? And what would a school system look like that was advantageous to an ESFP? For example, I imagine economics would be taught showing movies about historical examples of human events. Maybe hands on activities with human interaction would be used. I went to elementary school in the montessori system. Maybe that system is more suited to an ESFP.
    E - 79% I - 21%
    S - 53% N - 47%
    T - 32% F - 68%
    J - 32% P - 68%

ESFP

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I thought there was a huge thread about schools being geared toward SJs... a fact which seems more plausible to me.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I think it really depends on the school system and what is required curriculum, but mostly, I think it would be more of an SJ thing, especially ISJs. IT really depends on how the teacher teaches and how the teacher views their career and the students' willingness to learn, not type.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Well I got beat up in like every class for my ability to abstract. Our school system can be quite boring for intuitive types, leading to the fact that they suck at school. But you can hardly have it any other way, if you want everyone to pass the final exams.

That'ld be like peeing on your own rug
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

why is it like peeing on your own rug, lol???

MBTI
    ESfP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFP

My husband is an INTJ, and he is a public school teacher. This does not surprise me. However, I will say that he has clear interest in teaching his students in the way they best learn, although he does have a hard time understanding *why* a particular learning style may work for them.
    "Every well-bred petty crook knows -- the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting."
    -Inara Serra

MBTI
    INFP

My INTJ friend is a billion times smarter than me, but I've done way better in school than he did/does, even though I'm a horrible procrastinator and I have to be in the right mood to study certain subjects. The INTJ's learning capacity has always been so far above what he was being taught in school that he was bored out of his mind. He dropped out of college later for the same reason, and is now trying again at another school.

I also have two ESFP friends whose grades were at the top of their classes. Neither of them really liked school, but they had the determination and diligence to do what needed to be done.

I agree with Skyward that it depends on the curriculum, the teaching style, and the individual students.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    xxxx

The answer to the question "Which type is school geared towards?" would depend largely on how "success" in school is gauged. (and, as mentioned, the curriculum and teaching style) If an INTJ gauges success based on how well they understand the curriculum or by the grades they receive, then it could be said that they succeeded. (assuming both of these goals were achieved, of course)

However, if a rather social extrovert gauged their success based on how likable they were considered to be by staff, faculty, and the student body it could also be said that they succeeded. (provided, of course, that they were considered likable)
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

garbage

Learn how to use your "disadvantages" to your own "unfair advantage."

That, or find an educational path that plays to your strengths.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

If you are talking about the classroom, then the teaching style of the teacher can have a big effect on the students' ability to learn. However I would agree that textbooks are written with INTJ's in mind. That is, I would think a course without an instructor (like an online course) would be easiest for an INTJ compared to other types.

On the other hand I think most curricula tend to marginalize SP's. SP's tend to favor a hands on learning style which most curricula ignore.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com