User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

In the early years, school favours Si's ability to accurately store and remember facts. SJ types also like to conform to expectations, so generally do well at this stage. As learning becomes more abstract and theoretical, Ne and Ni come into their own, for their ability to see the big picture and quickly grasp concepts and understand new ideas.

I read somewhere that NP types are more likely to score highly on tests for giftedness and aptitude but NJ types tend to do better academically, as they are good at focusing on the requirements of an assignment or exam. NP types are more likely to get distracted, go off on tangents or lose interest, which cancels out their initial advantage.

At higher levels of education, Introverts tend to do better at exams as they are find it easier than E's to study and read for long periods of time.

The upshot of this is that, all else being equal, INTJs and INFJs may have an advantage over other types in the education system, particularly at higher levels. I think it was Isabel Briggs-Myers herself who wrote that INFJs may actually do better at school and college than INTJs, as they have a strong need to please the teacher, or may be more naturally gifted with language. INTJs independent nature may work against them at times, as they do not have the same desire to please. Also they do not suffer fools gladly - an incompetent teacher may bring out the worst in them. Further, an INTJ who sees little value in a subject will not bother to exert themselves, whereas an INFJ may do the opposite if they like the teacher.

This certainly sits well with my own experiences. I did extremely well at both school and university, despite sometimes feeling less intelligent than my many INTP and INTJ friends. Although they were able to grasp complex theory more rapidly than I could, and seemed to have a deeper understanding of many subjects, they often couldn't be bothered to apply themselves to the tedium of coursework and exam study. It was like they already "knew" the stuff to their own satisfaction, so saw little need to prove this in writing.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    Further, an INTJ who sees little value in a subject will not bother to exert themselves, whereas an INFJ may do the opposite if they like the teacher.

This certainly sits well with my own experiences. I did extremely well at both school and university, despite sometimes feeling less intelligent than my many INTP and INTJ friends. Although they were able to grasp complex theory more rapidly than I could, and seemed to have a deeper understanding of many subjects, they often couldn't be bothered to apply themselves to the tedium of coursework and exam study. It was like they already "knew" the stuff to their own satisfaction, so saw little need to prove this in writing.
    Interesting. I noticed that I did really well in math when I had teachers I liked, but I did terrible when I got one that I didn't "get." I couldn't separate the work from my ability to relate to the teacher.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I meant to add that SP types are at a disadvantage at every level of the education system. In the early years, they are supposed to sit still and listen quietly to their teachers for long periods of time - this is an almost impossible requirement for young SP types, who would far prefer to run around or play or at least be allowed to work with their hands and bodies. At higher levels of education it gets even worse - not only must they sit still and concentrate - the subject matter becomes more theoretical and abstract, which is the total opposite of the types of information which Se prefers.

My ISFP brother is at least as intelligent as I am, but school completely failed to engage him at all levels. However, out in the real world he discovered an aptitude for business systems and is now a highly paid (and ethical - Fi-dom) consultant for a large multinational company - earning far more money than I could ever dream of as a scientist.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Interesting. I noticed that I did really well in math when I had teachers I liked, but I did terrible when I got one that I didn't "get." I couldn't separate the work from my ability to relate to the teacher.
    Yeah I that happened to me throughout school, to the point where the subjects I took at the highest levels were the ones with the most consistently good standard of teaching, rather than the topics I would have preferred to study.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

And if I only could,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    xxxx

I read somewhere that NP types are more likely to score highly on tests for giftedness and aptitude but NJ types tend to do better academically
    Amen. This describes my academic experience well. I was a professional test-taker, if you will. Work was very meh, but I never broke a sweat when it came time to take exams. I usually enjoyed them as they brought up my grade.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Sniffles

The upshot of this is that, all else being equal, INTJs and INFJs may have an advantage over other types in the education system, particularly at higher levels. I think it was Isabel Briggs-Myers herself who wrote that INFJs may actually do better at school and college than INTJs, as they have a strong need to please the teacher, or may be more naturally gifted with language. INTJs independent nature may work against them at times, as they do not have the same desire to please. Also they do not suffer fools gladly - an incompetent teacher may bring out the worst in them. Further, an INTJ who sees little value in a subject will not bother to exert themselves, whereas an INFJ may do the opposite if they like the teacher.

My experience seems to have been the opposite. I was never a really good student in school. Once I got to college, I did considerably better in many areas, but I would still do poorly in many other courses. I don't consider myself that well of a student.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

In the early years, school favours Si's ability to accurately store and remember facts. SJ types also like to conform to expectations, so generally do well at this stage.
    I wonder...is ability to store and remember facts really only Si? Because I can and could do this very well, but cognitive functions tests place my Si only slightly above Se, which is close to "unused." It could also be that the cognitive functions tests aren't very good and I use more Si than I think.

I read somewhere that NP types are more likely to score highly on tests for giftedness and aptitude but NJ types tend to do better academically, as they are good at focusing on the requirements of an assignment or exam.
    I did well on both. Not trying to toot my own horn, just sayin'. Aptitude tests (such as the SAT, GRE, etc) are tied to how much you've learned anyway.

Yeah I that happened to me throughout school, to the point where the subjects I took at the highest levels were the ones with the most consistently good standard of teaching, rather than the topics I would have preferred to study.
    I never focused on the teaching. I appreciate a good teacher as much as the next person, but I did well in courses because they were part of a larger goal.

School is way boring. At least if 75% of your teachers are SJs and there's only two intuitives.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I can take tests very well, and it was probably my only saving grace in grade school. I always forgot to do my homework and couldn't be bothered to go to class. But I took a mean test.

Yes, some tests are linked to how much you've learned, but for the most part, I have the ability to memorize something for as long as I need it and then promptly forget it the minute it is useless to me.

Also, I learned how to answer the questions - the knowledge was secondary.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    However I would agree that textbooks are written with INTJ's in mind
    I wouldn't know, since I pretty much never opened the textbook or did my homework. I guess high school wasn't hard for me, but it was tedious beyond belief. I think I got mostly B's, but in any class that required memorization I did pretty badly. I had to drop calc my senior year because I couldn't ever remember the equations/other bits of data I needed and subsequently failed almost every test (and this was the only class I ever even tried to study for, though admittedly I was not very dedicated).

Also they do not suffer fools gladly - an incompetent teacher may bring out the worst in them. Further, an INTJ who sees little value in a subject will not bother to exert themselves
    Yeah, this was definitely the case in a lot of my classes. If an INTJ could be bothered to care about school I think they would naturally do very well, if the subjects aren't interesting enough though I think they'd be on par with other NTs (as having that J there to help you get things done isn't very helpful if you have no intention of doing them at all).
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"