• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What function/ function combination is this?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Now for a question I've been asking myself for a while. Instead of getting stuck in another Ti-loop, I'm going to ask the experts. Lately, I've been noticing a popular thought pattern of mine and was wondering what function it was.

The thought pattern: (forgive my poor description of it)
When I encounter a situation that doesn't fit the "norm" I've developed in my mind, my first thought is to assume that the situation is, in fact, in the norm, and then I proceed to figure out how it could fit in the norm, however unlikely. Once I've figured out these parameters, I scrutinously test these parameters to see if they hold up.

Thoughts?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I suppose I'll give an example of how I'd use this:

Problem: Good friend has not called in 2 weeks, an unusual occurrence

Hypothesis: Friend desires to call, but is unable to do so.

Thoughts: Logically, if friend was unable to call, they could have used some other form of communication.

Experiment: Check E-mail for E-mail from friend

If friend has not E-mailed, new problem is reached.

Thoughts: Friend is either A ) Unable to use both E-mail and Phone B ) Friend does not desire to communicate

Hypothesis: Friend is on vacation

Experiment: Check to see if friend left an away message on their answering machine

... you get the idea.

Of course, this all probably occurs in the timescale of under 5 minutes.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Now for a question I've been asking myself for a while. Instead of getting stuck in another Ti-loop, I'm going to ask the experts. Lately, I've been noticing a popular thought pattern of mine and was wondering what function it was.

The thought pattern: (forgive my poor description of it)
When I encounter a situation that doesn't fit the "norm" I've developed in my mind, my first thought is to assume that the situation is, in fact, in the norm, and then I proceed to figure out how it could fit in the norm, however unlikely. Once I've figured out these parameters, I scrutinously test these parameters to see if they hold up.

Thoughts?

thats exactly how any logical person deals when out on the spot or in a new situation that is fast taking the name of adversity

Nx and Tx in no particular order though as an INTP, it should be what jenocyde said

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
The fact that you talk about it makes it Ti-Ne. When you don't talk It's Ti-Si. Your Ne makes you incredibly accepting to input from Te (ex. INTJ's) but when you are quiet you are probably working hard one step ahead of SFJ's. It's not only Ti, because Ti don't have any standing interests itself, It gets help from Si to keep a neverending circle.