User Tag List

First 1234 Last

A592

My Keirseyan opposite is the ESFJ. Which makes perfect sense to me, I know ESFJs and our personalities definitely do clash sometimes.

MBTI
    CAT

I believe that there is most certainly not such a thing as 'worst match'. It all depends solely and only on the individuals. Saying that someone is one's 'worst match' because that's how their types are theoretically supposed to work is just an excuse for not being able to work out their differences and being unable/unwilling to understand that person as an individual. Actually, I'm convinced that typology is pretty useless and sometimes even harmful when it comes to relationships, especially for people prone to self-suggestion and prejudice.
    Likes DulcetRefrain liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP

Have they actually done statistics on that "best match" thing?

It seems like an idea which has run too far. Why would it be the different outer letters making a best match? And not different inner ones?

I totally like to cooperate with Sensors. To me, an N/S match seems like heaven: you get a framework AND you get the details right.
    An J/P match? The J is annoyed by P procrastination, the P is annoyed by J inflexibility.

See? I can find reasons why some matches would work and others would not, too. To me, it seems like someone thought the "best match" is "this one" and afterward devised reasons for it.

MBTI
    ESfP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    The only real problem is when someone is expressed in a few letters and the other side is as well (in the opposite letter od course) .

But very balanced ESFP and very balanced INTJ are actually quite similar people.

I'm married to an INTJ. When we're both on, we work together really well. He can direct my energy and focus to a situation, and I make that situation bearable for the both of us.

When we're off.....well, let's just say we're very, very off.
    "Every well-bred petty crook knows -- the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting."
    -Inara Serra

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I always thought your worst match would be your complete opposite...
    No! Then it balances out!
    Besides, an INFJ brother and ESTP brother make for the best television show.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

All my friends are Guardians and they help me with the day-to-day stuff and keep me anchored from my dreaminess. Usually though, I don't listen to them. And for them, I am gentle and I nurture.

But, I can't be with a Guardian romantically. They don't stimulate me intellectually or physically. I think this might vary between NFs.

MBTI
    ENTP

My worst match is an ESFP. Whatever that means.
    You can call me Charles.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Have they actually done statistics on that "best match" thing?

It seems like an idea which has run too far. Why would it be the different outer letters making a best match? And not different inner ones?

I totally like to cooperate with Sensors. To me, an N/S match seems like heaven: you get a framework AND you get the details right.
    An J/P match? The J is annoyed by P procrastination, the P is annoyed by J inflexibility.

See? I can find reasons why some matches would work and others would not, too. To me, it seems like someone thought the "best match" is "this one" and afterward devised reasons for it.
    There are statistics on long term marital satisfaction and type. The study I'm familiar with reports that SJs are happiest with other SJs, and NFs with other NFs. SPs tend to be happiest with NTs, but NTs feel very differently, statistically being unhappy with their SPs in the long run. NTs are happiest with NFs, and least happy with SJs. Power and control conflicts are twice as high between Perceivers and Judgers than when Perceivers pair with other Perceivers and Judgers with other Judgers.

The same study showed that TJs report the most satisfaction together, followed by: FJs with other FJs, TJs with TPs, and FPs with FPs. Least satisfied in the long run were: FJ with TJ, TP with FJ, TJ with FJ, and TP with TP.

Personally, I don't pay attention to the theoretical matches. I enjoy INTJs as friends, but I can't see myself being happy living with someone with a strong introverted thinking judging preference. My most fulfilling intimate interactions have been with EXXPs and an ISFP. Some of the highest satisfaction rates are between sensors and intuitives.

In any case, some types are clearly more attracted to people of one type or another. For example, ISTJs and ENFPs show a much higher than average attraction to each other; and statistically, the rate of marriage between the two types is reportedly higher than average. But according to the study that was done, people of these two types are very much unlikely to be happy together in the long run, at least statistically speaking. Rate of happiness is something like 43% between ENFP/ISTJ compared to other combinations, which tend to yield satisfaction rates well above the 60's and into the 80's.

So statistically speaking, being magnetically attracted to a type of person=/=being satisfied with them in the long run. Other branches of psychology back that idea up as well. Imago comes to mind. We are often drawn unconsciously to a type of person who is totally unlike us because we haven't yet accepted ourselves. The study showed that, in general, the most stable long-term relationships are between people with the most type preferences in common(NT/NT and STP/STP are the exceptions). Of course, any type can theoretically get along; but realistically speaking, there are some people who have preferences that don't work well with our own.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

My best match would be an ENTP
    Second best would be INTP.
    Third best would be ESTP.
    Fourth best would be ENFP.
    Worst match would be ISTJ
    Not that there's anything wrong with em.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think there are worst matches for people as individuals, but not one type vs. another as a whole. Like I might totally be repelled by certain types, but that doesn't mean that all NFPs feel that way...