User Tag List

First 12345 Last

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by dotdalidot View Post
    Yeah, I actually dislike silent moments more when I'm around new people. Because then I feel like my social ineptness is being severely criticized, like "Hey look she's awkward, I dont want to be her friend -leaves-" ): . When I'm around my good friends though, I don't mind the silence because I know that they're not criticizing me and or wondering why the heck I'm not speaking.

But yeah, I think that extroverts are more likely to want to come up with something. While introverts just hope someone else comes up with something. Which is what I hope for.
    Yeah. I normally feel the same way. But I also find too much silence to be a little boring. I hope someone will come up with something, but if I ultimately have to, I say random things to get people to talk. Like, "What's up with the silence?" or other random, stupid comments like that. :P

MBTI
    UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Yeah. I normally feel the same way. But I also find too much silence to be a little boring. I hope someone will come up with something, but if I ultimately have to, I say random things to get people to talk. Like, "What's up with the silence?" or other random, stupid comments like that. :P
    Mhhm! If I have to get people to talk I say random things too, and then hope they continue so I can just nod lol. But yeah, I don't know, I tend to think that most things that are awkward are only awkward if you think it's awkward. xD So taking that into light, I guess that would be the reason why I don't mind silences, because I don't notice it's awkward, until it's blatantly awkward, yaaa. they're also not boring for me, because if im silent im usually thinking of other things, besides the boring silence.

What this has to do with introversion/extroversion i don't really know anymore. lolol. xD

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by dotdalidot View Post
    What this has to do with introversion/extroversion i don't really know anymore. lolol. xD
    Maybe it shows you're more introverted than me? *shrugs*

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I saw this interesting science program in tv where one psychology said that one difference between the extroverted and the introverted people is that extoverted people can concentrate better in noisy and distracting environment.

Based on that definition I would say I'm introverted and based on any other description, I think I'm extroverted. So, go fiture that out.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    I saw this interesting science program in tv where one psychology said that one difference between the extroverted and the introverted people is that extoverted people can concentrate better in noisy and distracting environment.

Based on that definition I would say I'm introverted and based on any other description, I think I'm extroverted. So, go fiture that out.
    Based on this definition, I'm an extravert. Whatever psychologist said this is a quack. While there is a possibility that I'm an extravert, I think this really deals with the environment you grew up in. My house is constantly filled with loud TVs and screaming kids, so naturally I am used to sound while I am doing something and it does not bother me.

MBTI
    INFJ

There is a not-very-good book called Introvert Advantage (M. Laney) that has an interesting chapter on differing brain activity in introverts and extroverts. Very, very simply, extroverts process incoming stuff quickly through the amygdala (emotional center) and react while introverts process incoming stuff more slowly, through areas relating to speech, planning, learning, reasoning before finally going to the amygdala. Even after all that, there may not be any external reaction, because chemicals have been sent out that calm the introvert down. Meanwhile, the extrovert has sent out brain chemicals making them more stimulated. There are lots more brain differences discussed in this chapter, but that's the main one. The author also makes an argument that introverts' are low-novelty seekers because of the way their brains work and extraverts are novelty seekers, but I don't buy that -- amusements parks aren't tops on my list of things to do, but I crave intellectual novelty, either through reading or external stimuli like music, theater, etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    That on its own isn't an indication of IvE imo as plenty of introverts talk to themselves as well Maybe the reasons are different, not too sure of the reasons an introvert does it though so couldn't answer there.

Btw, your posting style does remind me more of other ENFPs than INFPs.
    hehe I just wuv my kitteh which passed away recently .
    I'm not so sure either on the reasons either so i understand.

hmm...I'm curious
    I kinda got this from one or two other people.
    One of them DisneyGeek .
    I notice when i read some of lady x's posts. Her posting style is very similar to mine.
    What to you screams ENFP posting style? probably what was mentioned earlier right from another poster who said if i went under a different name that i probably wouldn't be infp more E. They mentioned where it seems I improvise as i write and more like I'll add stuff as i go. I do actually do this bit here i didn't even think to put in till now. Is that what your referring too Trinity?

Could type effect that much, to actually have posting style be an indicator?
    *seriously should just stay NFP huh? xD till all this is completely worked out*
    Thanks trinity .
    Woo boy i didn't notice there were this many comments .

I found some nice links that i want to see if this depicts what introversion and extroversion is.
    The Need for Personal Space - Associated Content

The Truth About Introversion - Associated Content
    " The question is this: at the end of the day, when you're worn down, do you want to go out for a drink with your friends or watch a movie at home by yourself? " / it's not really a matter of preference. It's simply a matter of what recharges your batteries. Well you put it that way I it is then.

My responce would be after a long crazy day....chill at home read a book or watch a funny comedy. Something lowkey. Good example actually I was doing childcare work where i'd be around 20-25 kids for 6-8 hrs a day plus the workers and when i got home my one friend called me and said "hey girl, want to do something? usually i'd say sure but then i thought and i told them it was a crazy day and i'm probably just going to wind down abit." I would not want to be around anyone when all day i have been out and about.

I actually will feel considerably drained after such events. Or like when i'd got home after school, i would just chill out by slipping in my room for an hour or 2. Then after that i would come out and fill whoever is curious on my day cause i was "recharged enough" to engage again.
    Definitely agree with the whole " for every hour of socialization i need to two hours to recover" oh yeah i notice that after every event/get together. I'll have fun, get down and everything but i get home...chill time ^^DD.

Does it sound like i have the right idea? Trinity? Lady x?
    Introversion, Shyness, and Social Anxiety: What's The Difference? - Associated Content

More on Being Introverted in a Extroverted World - Associated Content

introverts :

making it difficult for other people to get to know them.

# absorbed in our thoughts.

# Hesitate before talking.

# Avoid crowds and seek quiet, *indeed even when not drained It's just nice*

# proceed cautiously in meeting new people.

# Get agitated if they don't get there time alone. *for me it's usually when i'm drained that i get irritated when i don't get that time to recharge. Once i get that alone time to get my energy back I'm good.*

# don't like getting disturbed. *when trying to recharge. Though sometimes i just want to be alone.

# Reflect and act in a careful way.

Extroverts:
    Think and take at the same time. *lady don't know how to spell xD sorry*
    They often have trouble slowing down.
    They my experience loneliness and a feeling of being
    Drained when they are not in contact with people "and" the "outside world".

Introverts:
    They are not necessarily quiet or withdrawn
    They are energized by the internal world-
    Like idea's, impressions, and emotions.

We needed to recharge.
    Last edited by INFtha14; 07-09-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Duchessoftheshadows View Post
    One of them DisneyGeek .

What about me now?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Bart View Post
    There is a not-very-good book called Introvert Advantage (M. Laney) that has an interesting chapter on differing brain activity in introverts and extroverts. Very, very simply, extroverts process incoming stuff quickly through the amygdala (emotional center) and react while introverts process incoming stuff more slowly, through areas relating to speech, planning, learning, reasoning before finally going to the amygdala. Even after all that, there may not be any external reaction, because chemicals have been sent out that calm the introvert down. Meanwhile, the extrovert has sent out brain chemicals making them more stimulated. There are lots more brain differences discussed in this chapter, but that's the main one. The author also makes an argument that introverts' are low-novelty seekers because of the way their brains work and extraverts are novelty seekers, but I don't buy that -- amusements parks aren't tops on my list of things to do, but I crave intellectual novelty, either through reading or external stimuli like music, theater, etc.
    I liked that book, but I don't buy the novelty thing either. I think if her book dealt with the full MBTI, then you'd see how introverts differ in the way external stimuli affects them, depending on being SJs or NFs or just as individuals.

I enjoy novelty, bright lights, and hustle & bustle, as an observer, as it stirs my imagination. When it comes to interaction, I get drained very fast though.

I liked how the author noted that extroverts at some point get tired also. I know too many extroverts who think they might be introverted because they need down time sometimes. Um, that just makes you a human being who needs to rest . Everyone gets tired, but an introvert doesn't seek out interaction to be energized to begin with. It's an energy drain from the first second, no matter how enjoyable.

I liked her comparison of an introvert to a battery and an extrovert to solar panels. The extrovert needs to soak up outside stimuli to stay energized and runs down when alone (under "cloud cover"), and the introvert is drained by outside stimuli and needs to recharge alone.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

I enjoy novelty, bright lights, and hustle & bustle, as an observer, as it stirs my imagination. When it comes to interaction, I get drained very fast though.
    Yes I absolutely love being around people...just not interacting with people. I can sit and observe and feel their feelings and process those feelings and draw conclusions and think about how I feel about those people and their actions and what it means, etc. Interaction is a whole other story. If I'm forced to interact in an extroverted manner for a long time, I'll get really drained and have to "shut down" and return to my head (or leave and be alone...whichever comes first).

Interacting with other introverts tends to help me "go" for longer, because there seems to be less pressure to talk all the time. Silence in conversation doesn't seem to affect an introvert as much. Personally, I hardly ever notice it unless someone points it out. That doesn't mean that a break from silence isn't welcome...it certainly is! Just if that break in silence isn't followed by a break in conversation, I'll get drained more easily.