• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Faulty Logic

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
If faulty logic is apperant like logic, nevertheless more common than logic and therefore stealing arguments with, how does one detect either within himself? I assume the answer will help you with your very question.
Does a part party?
A party parts.

Interest is a third party then?
It is the only party.

A dichotomy is not about the agent.
The agent is about the dichotomy.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
An example of faulty logic:
The proabortion apology:
A woman must have a say over her own body. Therefore abortion should be made easy.

I'd pull this one up on the grounds that a lot of assumptions occur between the two statements. Maybe it could be rewritten like this:

Others must help a woman have a say over her own body. Therefore abortion should be made easy.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'd pull this one up on the grounds that a lot of assumptions occur between the two statements. Maybe it could be rewritten like this:

Others must help a woman have a say over her own body. Therefore abortion should be made easy.
You wrote it better. :)

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
I'm not sure how I should answer...

Logic is a human concept, all 'facts' are a result of our own reasoning, on one hand it's human reasoning, on the other, unless you're completley devoid of emotions your reasoning will be somehow biased.

Benfitting from faulty logic...You'd need to have exceedingly specifified the terms, and it would be exceedingly situation relative...

Your name doesn't happen to be Paul does it, Wild cat? You remind me of a friend...granted I've only this thread to go by...

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not sure how I should answer...

Logic is a human concept, all 'facts' are a result of our own reasoning, on one hand it's human reasoning, on the other, unless you're completley devoid of emotions your reasoning will be somehow biased.

Benfitting from faulty logic...You'd need to have exceedingly specifified the terms, and it would be exceedingly situation relative...

Your name doesn't happen to be Paul does it, Wild cat? You remind me of a friend...granted I've only this thread to go by...
Yes. If you are devoid of emotions your judgement is faulty. If you are devoid of reason your judgement is faulty. You see it every day in the newspapers.

Sorry, my name is not Paul. I had a great uncle in Berlin, he was a violinist. He was Paul.
My mother had a cousin, another Paul. He went to Sweden and nobody heard of him since.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Faulty logic is more common than logic.
It is widely accepted as logic.

What is at the bottom of faulty logic?

Who benefits of it?

People who care a lot less about Ti than other functions and reasoning processes.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okay that's odd... that's the first question you ever asked where I both understood the question and knew the answer without having to clarify..

The cause of some illness is stress (I refute the idea that all illness is stress related otherwise relaxed people would get ill so infrequently as to make it more obvious), the cause of the stress is the conditions, the cause of the severity of the stress is the susceptability to stress and the conditions.

As for faulty logic, it serves the lazy, the unintelligent and the presumptuous. Also known as "the vast majority".

Besides logic is often thought of as an answer giver, like a calculator, no more prone to malfunction than the basics we take for granted like gravity. Those few who employ good logic and compensate and check their foundations are considered either revolutionary or devolutionary and are regarded as "alternative".

So quit rocking the boat puss or you'll get wet.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay that's odd... that's the first question you ever asked where I both understood the question and knew the answer without having to clarify..

The cause of some illness is stress (I refute the idea that all illness is stress related otherwise relaxed people would get ill so infrequently as to make it more obvious), the cause of the stress is the conditions, the cause of the severity of the stress is the susceptability to stress and the conditions.

As for faulty logic, it serves the lazy, the unintelligent and the presumptuous. Also known as "the vast majority".

Besides logic is often thought of as an answer giver, like a calculator, no more prone to malfunction than the basics we take for granted like gravity. Those few who employ good logic and compensate and check their foundations are considered either revolutionary or devolutionary and are regarded as "alternative".

So quit rocking the boat puss or you'll get wet.
I sign.
In other words, pure logic is field independent.
What obstructs field independence (beyond emotion)?
The observer is not a party in the observation.

A judge is.
Especially a good judge.

What takes place in a crime scene?
If you see it, you do not judge it.
If you judge it, you do not see it.

The playground is field independent.
Fair play is field dependent.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I sign.
In other words, pure logic is field independent.
What obstructs field independence (beyond emotion)?
The observer is not a party in the observation.

A judge is.
Especially a good judge.

What takes place in a crime scene?
If you see it, you do not judge it.
If you judge it, you do not see it.

The playground is field independent.
Fair play is field dependent.
But pure logic is as evasive as pure truth. Is not the best way forward to try for perfection, to strive, but to always recognise that we haven't attained it?

I think that what most claimers of logic are missing is wisdom. Logic is simply a tool and if wielded by a tool then it's use is diminished.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Faulty logic, for many, is their attempt at being correct.

Logic is inerrand, so they've heard.

Like 1 and 1 = 1, 1 xor 1 = 0, if a then b, and so on.. or with other logical systems, people do their best at being correct.

Sad that almost nothing real really fits in the parameters of a, b, 0, 1. Not at least if we talk about death, life, god, meaning, purpose, democracy, pollution or anything like that.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
But pure logic is as evasive as pure truth. Is not the best way forward to try for perfection, to strive, but to always recognise that we haven't attained it?

I think that what most claimers of logic are missing is wisdom. Logic is simply a tool and if wielded by a tool then it's use is diminished.
This is what I said. We perfectly agree. :)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Faulty logic, for many, is their attempt at being correct.

Logic is inerrand, so they've heard.

Like 1 and 1 = 1, 1 xor 1 = 0, if a then b, and so on.. or with other logical systems, people do their best at being correct.

Sad that almost nothing real really fits in the parameters of a, b, 0, 1. Not at least if we talk about death, life, god, meaning, purpose, democracy, pollution or anything like that.
Yes. But a judge has to deal with these concepts you mentioned.
How does he do it? Does he throw the logic away?
No.
Does he switch between sides?
Like Jekyll and Hyde?

But Jekyll was the smart one. He was the one with the values.
Poor Hyde was not even smart. He was only bad.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Mouse agrees :yes:

People expect too much out of logic. Run around with a label gun... in attempt to tag everything that's "good" to be logical and fundamentally sound. Except life is subjective. Rarely do you get boolean logic. But people don't care about "logic logic" really. They just want something that is consistent and make sense to them.

Perhaps a mislabelling based on the identified virtue of being logical, pragmatic?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

People expect too much out of logic. Run around with a label gun... in attempt to tag everything that's "good" to be logical and fundamentally sound. Except life is subjective. Rarely do you get boolean logic. But people don't care about "logic logic" really. They just want something that is consistent and make sense to them.

Perhaps a mislabelling based on the identified virtue of being logical, pragmatic?

I'm not sure if this is what you mean or not, but this is how I would put it. In practice logic is very useful. All logic can essentially be boiled down to "If A then B". The problems with logic never come from B. If logic has a problem then the problem is with A. In other words as long as our initial premises are true, then the conclusions will be true. If one of our initial premises is false then B is irrelevant.

However we can never be 100% certain that our initial premises are correct. In some premises we can have stronger confidence in than others, but none have absolute certainty. Also coming to correct a conclusion does not guarantee that any given person can apply the conclusion in a useful or meaningful way. Essentially I'm saying that I don't think there is anything wrong with logic at all as long as the user is aware of both its strengths and limitations. People can misuse logic just like they can misuse any other tool. I wouldn't blame this problem on the tool.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8

The problem is that you CAN use logic in almost every situation but you can't rely on it. People think that because it's logical that it's correct. A implies B does not imply that B implies A.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Faulty logic is more common than logic.
It is widely accepted as logic.

What is at the bottom of faulty logic?

Who benefits of it?

I confess, I confess, my logic is totally faulty.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I confess, I confess, my logic is totally faulty.
Your logic is not faulty!

Because your said the key word here.
It is not about logic at all.
It is about whose logic.

Thank you, alcea rosea :)