User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Faulty Logic

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    If faulty logic is apperant like logic, nevertheless more common than logic and therefore stealing arguments with, how does one detect either within himself? I assume the answer will help you with your very question.
    Does a part party?
    A party parts.

Interest is a third party then?
    It is the only party.

A dichotomy is not about the agent.
    The agent is about the dichotomy.

I'm starting to hate your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    An example of faulty logic:
    The proabortion apology:
    A woman must have a say over her own body. Therefore abortion should be made easy.
    I'd pull this one up on the grounds that a lot of assumptions occur between the two statements. Maybe it could be rewritten like this:

Others must help a woman have a say over her own body. Therefore abortion should be made easy.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    I'd pull this one up on the grounds that a lot of assumptions occur between the two statements. Maybe it could be rewritten like this:

Others must help a woman have a say over her own body. Therefore abortion should be made easy.
    You wrote it better.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

I'm not sure how I should answer...

Logic is a human concept, all 'facts' are a result of our own reasoning, on one hand it's human reasoning, on the other, unless you're completley devoid of emotions your reasoning will be somehow biased.

Benfitting from faulty logic...You'd need to have exceedingly specifified the terms, and it would be exceedingly situation relative...

Your name doesn't happen to be Paul does it, Wild cat? You remind me of a friend...granted I've only this thread to go by...
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
    I'm not sure how I should answer...

Logic is a human concept, all 'facts' are a result of our own reasoning, on one hand it's human reasoning, on the other, unless you're completley devoid of emotions your reasoning will be somehow biased.

Benfitting from faulty logic...You'd need to have exceedingly specifified the terms, and it would be exceedingly situation relative...

Your name doesn't happen to be Paul does it, Wild cat? You remind me of a friend...granted I've only this thread to go by...
    Yes. If you are devoid of emotions your judgement is faulty. If you are devoid of reason your judgement is faulty. You see it every day in the newspapers.

Sorry, my name is not Paul. I had a great uncle in Berlin, he was a violinist. He was Paul.
    My mother had a cousin, another Paul. He went to Sweden and nobody heard of him since.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Faulty logic is more common than logic.
    It is widely accepted as logic.

What is at the bottom of faulty logic?

Who benefits of it?
    People who care a lot less about Ti than other functions and reasoning processes.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    People who care a lot less about Ti than other functions and reasoning processes.
    Expand.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Okay that's odd... that's the first question you ever asked where I both understood the question and knew the answer without having to clarify..

The cause of some illness is stress (I refute the idea that all illness is stress related otherwise relaxed people would get ill so infrequently as to make it more obvious), the cause of the stress is the conditions, the cause of the severity of the stress is the susceptability to stress and the conditions.

As for faulty logic, it serves the lazy, the unintelligent and the presumptuous. Also known as "the vast majority".

Besides logic is often thought of as an answer giver, like a calculator, no more prone to malfunction than the basics we take for granted like gravity. Those few who employ good logic and compensate and check their foundations are considered either revolutionary or devolutionary and are regarded as "alternative".

So quit rocking the boat puss or you'll get wet.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Okay that's odd... that's the first question you ever asked where I both understood the question and knew the answer without having to clarify..

The cause of some illness is stress (I refute the idea that all illness is stress related otherwise relaxed people would get ill so infrequently as to make it more obvious), the cause of the stress is the conditions, the cause of the severity of the stress is the susceptability to stress and the conditions.

As for faulty logic, it serves the lazy, the unintelligent and the presumptuous. Also known as "the vast majority".

Besides logic is often thought of as an answer giver, like a calculator, no more prone to malfunction than the basics we take for granted like gravity. Those few who employ good logic and compensate and check their foundations are considered either revolutionary or devolutionary and are regarded as "alternative".

So quit rocking the boat puss or you'll get wet.
    I sign.
    In other words, pure logic is field independent.
    What obstructs field independence (beyond emotion)?
    The observer is not a party in the observation.

A judge is.
    Especially a good judge.

What takes place in a crime scene?
    If you see it, you do not judge it.
    If you judge it, you do not see it.

The playground is field independent.
    Fair play is field dependent.