User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please tell me how it feels like to use your primary functions in everyday life

Welcome to Sunnyside Array Mondo's Avatar

This is tough for me since I will admit, firsthand, that I am not a strong believer in the functions themselves. While Jung was a brilliant man, I don't think his functions adequately explain the human personality.

However, I come into line with much of the Extraverted Intuition description.
    So I'll try...

Extraverted Intuition
    I go through life with a laidback attitude- I don't try to lead or control others. Because I am an opportunist at heart- at least when it comes to matters of the mind- I know that life has its own set of problems but I always rely on my own ability to work my way though every solution. I have thousands of ideas in my head which makes me naturally talkative. I feel the need to tell others of my ideas because I know they can help solidify them and without others around, most of my ideas would never actually be put into action- because I am motivated by a somewhat subjective desire to accomplish a certain goal. I don't necessarily desire to do something different for the sake of being different. I seek and demand efficiency and find that Extraverted Intuition helps me out to achieve that goal.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post

An example of me relying on Si would be last night at a park to see fireworks. On the way back to my car, I didn't know where it was. However, if I stopped and focused, I could recreate the experience of pulling into the parking lot in my head. I remembered driving down the main road, coming up to guards, turning to the left, driving over a sidewalk, passing one row of 2 sets of rows of cars, then passing another single row of cars before pulling to the right and parking in between two large vehicles. In doing that, I was able to reassure myself that I was near my car and walked toward it.
    That is hilarious! I would have been so lost in my head while driving into the parking lot that I might have even forgotten which part of the car park I parked my car in and I most certainly wouldn't have remembered how many rows of cars I drove past. Almost photographic memory is cool ey!

I would really love to read an Ni description since I am still pretty confused about mine so if any Introverted Intuition users would like to contribute...

I am still interested in a first-hand description of Ni (I know there are tons of Ni users around here.) since this thread

makes me think that I am actually more of an Ne user (despite me being a strong J, having strong Fe and definitely being an INFJ >> on INFJ forums I normally go: "I can relate to that!! That's exactly like me!")

9w8 sx/sp
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I am still interested in a first-hand description of Ni

Loads of other info on using the main functions in that thread. Well not specifically the main functions, but the various type's thought processes. That post by Athenian is an excellent example of an Ni dominant.
    () 9w8-3w2-7w6 tritype.

RCueI (primary Inquisition)

This thread has good perspectives on Ne and Ni, too.

Well, I know what it looks like when a flash-wave of Ni is hitting me. (My INFP boyfriend often interrupts me when I lapse into this state because he's worried something is "upsetting me", which frankly is unbelievably annoying after all these years of him knowing me.) My eyes glaze over and I stare at a random point. I think I look a touch autistic. My eye may involuntarily twitch or I'll do something mindless like scratching my arm lazily in the same spot until it's over with. I do this repeatedly throughout the day. Sometimes it's moments and sometimes it's minutes long, but it happens a lot and it is par for the course with me. People that know me well are pretty much used to it by now save a few obnoxious individuals.

The closest my pattern-predicting ability has ever come to being marketable or immediately useful to someone other than myself is when my boyfriend is bored by a movie and wants a prediction of how it'll probably turn out. Success rate is probably around... /calculates... 65%? Not exactly sure. I improve with age. But if you really want to see my brand of (+Fe) Ni at its best, chat with me about the people I'm observing and I'll tell you what I can "guess" about them. It might unnerve you. Of course the trouble is, I won't share my observations with just anyone. All INFJs have their own super secret invisible tree club and they aren't generous with the passes.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

6w7 sp/sx

Se (With Fi/Te)

I don't understand Fi well, (which is probably why I score low on tests..) But I think that i'm using it whether I believe so or not.

Stay with me now.

I see the world as it is. Right now, I look around and see my moms beautiful home, a laptop, a dog laying next to the window, the rain outside, a birdfeeder, etc. I taste the coffee, I feel the air, I hear the humming on the refrigerator. Underlying this whole thing, is how I feel about it. Based on what I see right now, I feel relaxed. So, the world is to me what I see and how I feel right this minute. (Often, anyways.)

Next comes what to do about it. So, based on what i'm seeing and feeling right now, I might decide to read a book, take a shower, etc. (This is where Te comes in a little bit.) I might start to think in an hour, a friend is coming over- what are the steps that I need to take to be prepared for her arrival? Buy some snacks? Make some plans? Take a shower. So basically- what do I need to do right now based on what I know?

Sometimes, when it comes to matters of people and relationships, I can look into the past and see connections and look deeper into what's going on- since people are not simply things that can be viewed from the surface only. Like blackcat, with my Fi,(I THINK) I can understand people very well with little information provided- and can kind of read minds and feelings without even knowing how. (This is an exception of where I'm using little five senses information.) Although, I try not to assume anything and get my facts straight.

Usually when making decisions, depending on the importance, I tend to use both thinking and feeling, sensing and intuiting. Getting the whole picture is important to making the best decisions possible. This tends to make me really indecisive but then I end up making the best decisions in the end.

This is where I can run a little deeper. 70% of the time, i'm just working with that original process. Seeing what i'm seeing, feeling what i'm feeling, deciding what to do about it.

The other 30% of the time, its thinking about patterns, goals, big decisions, other people, other things, thinking about the past.

Thats the life of the Se, Fi/Te gal.

Senior Member Array professor goodstain's Avatar

It begins upon entering the wallmart parking lot. i'll always park somewhere towards the outer perimeter. i'm not too lazy to walk an arc along the most distant parking area from the main circus. Although i never forget the general area of where i parked(Ne/Si via mental picture/snapshot), this is a good strategy to allow others to have a better spot(Ni, yes, i wrote Ni-i've got legs that work fine, why be a hypocrite)... and i get the satisfaction of being able to Ne the crap out of the atmosphere from the 'so called' long walk from a parking space to the store and back(Ne)

From here, i gotta give a specific example from many due to vast differences in experiences there....While inside, i'll notice (while not even looking in that general direction) some jackass cut off a slow old lady. This will induce me to immediately strategize a counter action(Fi). i will trail for about 10 mins while shopping from a list housed in memory. After roughly 10 mins, i'll follow until said jackass stops to look at something/whatever. i will then place my cart at an angle effectively cutting off any possible forward motion of said jackasses cart. From that point i will leave it and walk off about 10 ft to look at something as if to purchase. It has always turned out that said jackass will pull their cart back and move on. But imagine if jackass were to make a stink of it. i would then put up a front full of all kinds of BS that lead them to believe that i didn't even know they were there. After all, that is their language. But what if said jackass takes it even further? Just such a scenerio for a strategy to park the farthest away from the store. i'll leave that for you all to use your own Ni to figure out

Where ever you read the word "strategy", make sure to equate it with Ti.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Senior Member Array Digital Demi-Fiend's Avatar

Think of everything relevant the situation you are currently in at once. EVERYTHING.

Keep thinking about it for as long as you're awake. There ya go.

it's tea time! Array Walking Tourist's Avatar

Fi (the isfp version)

This is challenging because I don't really understand the difference between Fi and Fe.
    I am very sensitive to other people's moods and tend to absorb them. If you're happy, I will be happy, too. If you're sad or angry, I will try to not absorb the negative emotions but won't always be successful.
    Early in the morning on September 11th, 2001, I felt strong negative vibes coming from somewhere. An hour later, I found out what had happened. I had to turn off the TV after a short amount of time because I am terrifically squeamish. People may say, "I feel your pain," but for me, it's not just words. I really do.
    Before the beginning of the current Iraq war, there was a news broadcast showing soldiers attacking straw dummies with bayonets. I had to turn it off. It made me feel ill. My overly active imagination had transformed those dummies into children and old ladies.
    I was horrified.
    And the war had not even started.
    I don't want to experience violence, cruelty, war, and meanness. I don't want anyone else to have to experience those horrors. They offend my beliefs and my values.
    When I choose how I am to respond to those things that offend my beliefs and my values, I feel that I need to stay true to who I feel that I am... to say yes to human rights and to life and to act on it.
    I don't always understand that things can improve when they are horrible because my sense of the future is tenuous at best.
    I am very very expressive so everyone can see how I am responding to the world around me. I cannot hide my feelings at all.
    I always want to be surrounded by beauty, to calm down my Fi and to appeal to my Se. As an "artistic" type, I can surround myself with beauty.
    And it is good.
    But having Fi as a dominant function can be very difficult because I do take so much to heart.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.