• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

reflection

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Thank you Nightie

Dane: You said it in your edit. Good work!

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
The accolades go to you.

An altar; one without (undignified) sacrifice as precept.

Thank you, Wildcat.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I cannot hear anything at work *trauma*

dane, I think I see where you're driving at. As much as the silence defines the music, the notes define the silence too, so music, speech, is more than one alone. x-o-x becomes notes. Is that what you mean?

But if we take that one step further, where do the notes interact, if not in silence?

We could take silence to be the blank score. The notes exist in the folds of silence, and merely mark it.

Time and music, not as flows... I'm not sure where that comes from.. Pray explain.

:popc1:

Edit: No more popcorn. Just saw his/her edit. :D

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I cannot hear anything at work *trauma*

dane, I think I see where you're driving at. As much as the silence defines the music, the notes define the silence too, so music, speech, is more than one alone. x-o-x becomes notes. Is that what you mean?

But if we take that one step further, where do the notes interact, if not in silence?

We could take silence to be the blank score. The notes exist in the folds of silence, and merely mark it.

Time and music, not as flows... I'm not sure where that comes from.. Pray explain.

:popc1:

Edit: No more popcorn. Just saw his/her edit. :D
Sorry aelan.. I did not find the flow thing post. Maybe it was in the other blog.. I have to see. I shall take a hike first.. :run: a frosty-snowy winter day. It is not yet spring here.. only in Hong Kong. Lucky you.

:happy:

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Aelan's on tempo rubato ;)

Duet would be nice. *nods head*

No. she's not on tempo rubato. she's on tempo aelan. :thelook: that's precisely why i have to be on rubato when i play with her. it all goes wonky otherwise. :dry:

Will go listen to some night music. :yes:

digression: x and o together form crosses and noughts. xxxooo. X is gyfu, the celtic rune for gift, meaning: kiss.

noughts and crosses hence mean love.

and there's another link! :holy:

:D

dane

In order?

:bye:
Let go, let go, let go.
:doh::doh::doh:
Let go.

:doh:

Ok. :) Hard to catch that silence, though. Because to mark time with silence is hard, for me.

Like a blank canvas on which you can draw? Like time and silence. Can notes interact not on silence? Silence...then something begins to play. A long, continuous note...then something begins to play. It is still time, rather than silence, that is the canvas? Just like the musical score: 5 lines, but you can choose to leave it empty or with notes. Then the player decide the time. I don't play, so I can only guess.

If I am to choose, I would rather be deaf than blind. That is how unschooled my ears are. So I cannot, Night. Are the gaps intentionally there, to form the soft repetition? It reminds me of the chain gang.

This will sound stupid, but I want to know. How do you get music? I realise that I listen to the words (and so you know its not classical instrumental) more than the melody. If I listen to the tune, I miss the words.

Appreciation of classical music - is it an acquired taste? If so, does acquisition means the recognition of the patterns? Recognition not as in memory, recall. But as in seeing the patterns, discerning something coherent. Because, for example, I like the Schindler's list because I can hear something...regular? Some others just go by me too fast.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Dane,

the piece which Night gave wasn't classical. it was jazz. In a way, jazz is more difficult to understand than classical music. Classical was built around perfect 4ths and 5ths (ie, what sounds most pleasing to the ear), whereas jazz was built on dissonance.

The idea being that assymetry, too, is a form of beauty. Hence the dissonance (abruptness of sound), the 9ths and 13ths. So it's a slip-sliding thing, of what we call grace notes and slip notes; the topography of jazz is never constant, nor solid, the way rock, classical and other genres are. It is the music of potential, that it can be this chord, or this other chord.

That is why its silence speaks more than its music.

What will it be in the next instant? before the bassist/musician plays, you do not know. Unlike in classical/rock, where more often than not, you can intuite the patterns and know if the guy is going to play up or down the keys.

standard pop patterns:

1645, 1545, 5164. etc. You can fit the bassline into almost any pop song, and it won't make a difference.

Rather difficult to show what i mean without a keyboard though...so i can fully get your perplexity. :)

between deafness and blindness...hm. I am visual by nature. So i would choose to be blind.

(is there any way to merge this thread with wildcat's blog??)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
No. she's not on tempo rubato. she's on tempo aelan. :thelook: that's precisely why i have to be on rubato when i play with her. it all goes wonky otherwise. :dry:

Will go listen to some night music. :yes:

digression: x and o together form crosses and noughts. xxxooo. X is gyfu, the celtic rune for gift, meaning: kiss.

noughts and crosses hence mean love.

and there's another link! :holy:

You are right as always. A kiss.

Gyfu is an original Scandinavian word. One of the few that is left.
It came to Ireland via the Vikings.

Of the Viking mother line. The one represented by the early Goths.

A gyfta was originally a ransom paid by the father for the stolen daughter.
Ultimately: A promise of the ransom.

A gift woman: released by ransom.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
You are right as always. A kiss.

Gyfu is an original Scandinavian word. One of the few that is left.
It came to Ireland via the Vikings.

Of the Viking mother line. The one represented by the early Goths.

A gyfta was originally a ransom paid by the father for the stolen daughter.
Ultimately: A promise of the ransom.

A gift woman: released by ransom.

How wonderful!! :holy: Something new! i never knew that! :yay: love my wildcat! he's wise, and knowledgeable. :yes:

dane

True. Expectation is not acceptance.
Maybe that is why Krishnamurti said hope is suicide.
Whatever will be, will be.

Acceptance is courage to live.
To live is to own nothing.

To love and be loved is to abide by the tide. Night is wise.

Tide. :)

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
merging/not merging: Tide.

Sure, dane. It is for wildcat to decide. :)

I just realised our blogs are not available to the public. it seems that there are many guests who read this. Perhaps better to leave it this way, then.

Tidal.

another link: An old poem i wrote, years ago. if sound is presence, then silence is absence, is it not? And one who reads absences reads deeper than one who reads presence.

Tidal

When the tide goes out the first sound you hear
is struggle against ebb.
The second is sand beneath; that is
subtext of attrition, need to believe

beyond strand line's haul
of decaying weeds, marine bones
surrendered
past recognition of form,

something lasts
like the abraded shell, stripped
and broke of scalloped fineries;

that is final clarity of seeing
all nicks, chips, perfections
and potentials,

lay to rest the unadmitted conclusions
of drawn lines, and erosions
from those lines.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
merging/not merging: Tide.

Sure, dane. It is for wildcat to decide. :)

I just realised our blogs are not available to the public. it seems that there are many guests who read this. Perhaps better to leave it this way, then.

Tidal.

another link: An old poem i wrote, years ago. if sound is presence, then silence is absence, is it not? And one who reads absences reads deeper than one who reads presence.

Tidal

When the tide goes out the first sound you hear
is struggle against ebb.
The second is sand beneath; that is
subtext of attrition, need to believe

beyond strand line's haul
of decaying weeds, marine bones
surrendered
past recognition of form,

something lasts
like the abraded shell, stripped
and broke of scalloped fineries;

that is final clarity of seeing
all nicks, chips, perfections
and potentials,

lay to rest the unadmitted conclusions
of drawn lines, and erosions
from those lines.
A very beautiful poem, thank you elfie. :hug:

The first time I experienced tide on the shores of the Isle of the Goths.
Although in the Baltic it is not as magnificient as it is on the shores of the Atlantic.
The Baltic Sea is a semi-salted semi-lake.

Her tributaries the Bothnia and the Finnish Gulf are even less salty and less sea-like with no tide at all.
Whatever you do, do not go to Bothnia. They play all kinds of idiotic games there. ;)

Image:Baltic Sea map.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
How wonderful!! :holy: Something new! i never knew that! :yay: love my wildcat! he's wise, and knowledgeable. :yes:
:cheese: love my elfie, too :hug:

A famous Irish-American actress was also released by ransom.

The mit-gift was two million dollars to the mob of the Grimaldi.
A bunch of sea pirates. :)

Two million dollars was money in those days.
A trusted emissary of the Vatican was the go-between.
He had his share, too. :D

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
^ and yet another wildcat story. :holy: where do you get all these lovely little stories from? If the stork delivers babies, what then delivers baby stories? :)

Ah yes. The Grimaldi family. heard of them. :yes: Which actress was that, though? :huh: hm. wonder how much the emissary made. :D

Pirates! *thinks of Johnny Depp* :wubbie:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
^ and yet another wildcat story. :holy: where do you get all these lovely little stories from? If the stork delivers babies, what then delivers baby stories? :)

Ah yes. The Grimaldi family. heard of them. :yes: Which actress was that, though? :huh: hm. wonder how much the emissary made. :D

enough to be a holy man for the rest of his life. :D

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

The midwife delivers the stories.
Cos she is old and wise and cos she is a witch.
Every story is a riddle. A secret garden.
wildcat cannot open the gate of the garden.

Who was the actress?
Price: Bronze. :)

Who was the emissary?
Price: Gold. :D

Who paid the ransom?
Price: :cheese: