User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 138

Thread: reflection

  1. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    27

    Default

    If MBTI is a classification of one's cognitive system,
    i.e how one thinks (classify), imagines (create), perceives (observe),
    and assuming

    1. cognition, conscious or not, is the basis of behavior,

    2. cognition is a choice, conscious or not, of the degree of predominance of the three processes,
    for e.g., as wildcat said, "let go",

    then really, one's MBTI function can be xxxx.

    Also, as "thought is the response of memory",
    i.e. a mental heuristic,
    then the MBTI function of most people is due to habit or extant influence.
    That is, they do not make a conscious choice.

    The predominant mode of cognition can be a choice.
    Your MBTI can be a choice, your choice.
    Choice is not freedom, but it can reflect self-awareness.

  2. #32
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    If MBTI is a classification of one's cognitive system,
    i.e how one thinks (classify), imagines (create), perceives (observe),
    and assuming

    1. cognition, conscious or not, is the basis of behavior,

    2. cognition is a choice, conscious or not, of the degree of predominance of the three processes,
    for e.g., as wildcat said, "let go",

    then really, one's MBTI function can be xxxx.

    Also, as "thought is the response of memory",
    i.e. a mental heuristic,
    then the MBTI function of most people is due to habit or extant influence.
    That is, they do not make a conscious choice.

    The predominant mode of cognition can be a choice.
    Your MBTI can be a choice, your choice.
    Choice is not freedom, but it can reflect self-awareness.
    Yes!

    And where have we then the I?

    It is long I have been into Zen.
    That was the interspace between the Beatnik and the Hippy eras.. 1961.
    You could hear the echo of Zen in some speeches of John Kennedy.

    Fractal math is the play of the mirrors.
    The subject cannot reprehend.
    Last edited by proteanmix; 02-25-2008 at 06:49 AM. Reason: merged posts

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    27

    Default

    The I as in Ixxx?

    Or the I as in choice self-awareness?

    But you must refer to the latter: it is of paramount importance.
    The "I" is in the subject; it is the subject.
    Quote earlier, "the inherent impossibility of objectivity".
    Choice = subject

    The "I" as the object, in choosing to be objective, becomes the "I" as the subject.
    Objectivity is not finality.
    "I" am Sisyphus.

    Have I misunderstood your question?

    Please enlighten.
    Last edited by proteanmix; 02-25-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: merged posts

  4. #34
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Stick around here, dane.
    Well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    Please enlighten.
    A blank table?

    You raise your hand.
    Who gives the order?
    The choice.

    The I is conscious of itself in reflection only.
    The choice is already there.

    The conscious is aware of the choice only after the fact.

    The I is conscious.
    Of what?
    Of itself in reflection.
    As you say.
    Last edited by proteanmix; 02-25-2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: merged posts

  5. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A blank table?

    You raise your hand.
    Who gives the order?
    The choice.

    The I is conscious of itself in reflection only.
    The choice is already there.

    The conscious is aware of the choice only after the fact.

    The I is conscious.
    Of what?
    Of itself in reflection.
    As you say.


    Not a blank table. Just needed to know if it is set right.

    And yet we can choose anytime.
    There's the hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Well said.
    Hmm. Thank you, my Lord Hierophant and good Sir Night.
    Sticking around would be improper. (Isn't someone going to make this sound so wrong? )

    Love your avatar, Night.
    wildcat, I will seek you in the INTPc archives.
    Last edited by proteanmix; 02-25-2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: merged posts

  6. #36
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    Hmm. Thank you, my Lord Hierophant and good Sir Night.
    Sticking around would be improper. (Isn't someone going to make this sound so wrong? )

    Love your avatar, Night.
    wildcat, I will seek you in the INTPc archives.
    Stick around. See the sights.

  7. #37
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    had wanted aelan to go first (competitive sisters hehe), but she doesn't seem to be on. so ok, elfie takes a first stab...

    as per my PM answer to wildcat earlier:

    perspective!

    would be even more interesting if you added in 'ive' to subject and object--ie, subjective and objective. hehe.

    ie, once a side (perspective) is chosen, there is no difference between a reflection and a look.

    however, if the object remains an object (ie, objective), then that is a reflection, as it is an opinion taken without passing judgment. while if the subject remains a subject (ie, subjective), that is one who passes judgment.

    hence, the answer is in two things:

    1) it's a matter of perspective, and

    2) the difference is in whether one passes judgment, or not. no judgment = distinction between a subject/look and object/reflection. judgment => no differentiation between a reflection and a look.

    because to reflect is to do so impassively. it is to understand and accept, without judgment. To look is to do so hastily, and to pass a judgment.
    Yes. In other words
    The jump into conclusion.
    To pass a judgement is to refuse to see.
    To do is not to see. To see is to be still. To be still is to know.
    Elfie knows.

  8. #38
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    For many years people thought that the moon produced it's own light instead of reflecting that of the sun. A lot depends on what you know and where you stand
    Exactly. What you know depends on where you stand.

  9. #39
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post


    And to the OP.

    The self will always be subject to its own perspective. Unless we choose a loci removed from ourselves, i.e. distancing. As humans, we will always be subjective. Even if we choose a school of thought/logic to proceed upon, "to be fair". It would be objective to us, but subjective to those we go against, is it not?

    Then perhaps that we call "objective" is simply the subjective selection of facts which support our own principles, ideals, beliefs. Or sufficient distance from pure subjectivity: though not being subjective, does not make one objective.

    But what are those, but illusions.

    And where's the line between illusion and delusion?

    Merely a subjective one.

    Is dispassionate sympathy and observation truly possible? I'd reckon objectivity can at best, be a perceiving function. Subjectivity can be both perceiving and judging?
    Ludere is to play.
    In ludere > illudere.

    As if in mocking.
    A misunderstanding bent on hope.
    A blind.

    Delusion is when the blind is removed. The unmasking.
    The harsh reality of the sober morning.
    The game is over.

    Petrouchka is a clown. He is deceived by his own ludus. Yet the music of Stravinsky is not about the ludi-crous. It is about the subjective experience.
    Petrouchka about Petrouchka.

    In the trick pictures they used multiple mirrors. They were very popular in the twenties.
    Four men play poker. But when you look closely, it is only one man.

    As you say, there is no line.
    Unless it is all a line.

  10. #40
    a white iris elfinchilde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Ludere is to play.
    In ludere > illudere.

    As if in mocking.
    A misunderstanding bent on hope.
    A blind.

    Delusion is when the blind is removed. The unmasking.
    The harsh reality of the sober morning.
    The game is over.

    Petrouchka is a clown. He is deceived by his own ludus. Yet the music of Stravinsky is not about the ludi-crous. It is about the subjective experience.
    Petrouchka about Petrouchka.

    In the trick pictures they used multiple mirrors. They were very popular in the twenties.
    Four men play poker. But when you look closely, it is only one man.

    As you say, there is no line.
    Unless it is all a line.

    ...because there is no difference between there being all a line, and no line.

    because it is not lines. it is circular---in that sense, there is in effect no 'side'---sides to take (perceptions) only occur, perhaps because people are at diametrically opposite ends of the circle.

    but if one walks long enough along the line, if one explores far enough,it all leads back.

    brilliant. thanks, wildcat.

    Edit: yes. To play is greater than not to play. Plato was right: "You learn more about a man in an hour of play than in a year of work."
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

    --T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFJ] Why are ENFJ's afraid to reflect- what are the type of dark thoughts they avoid??
    By ladypinkington in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
  2. Does your computer desktop reflect your type?
    By Valiant in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 221
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 01:30 AM
  3. Reflections
    By Simplexity in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 03:27 AM
  4. Reflection and Recognition
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-23-2008, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO