User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    I

Default Exact opposite types

I've been interested in this opposite/shadow type thing. SO I was thinking that if you by cognitive functioning, the exact opposite of a type would be determined by switching the middle two letters. For example, an ISTJ conventionally has these functions:

Si>Te>Fi>Ne>Se>Ti>Fe>Ni

So the exact opposite type by functions would be determined by switching the middle two letters (S and T), and thus get INFJ:

Ni>Fe>Ti>Se>Ne>Fi>Te>Si

So the exact opposite type of ISTJ is INFJ, and for every type would be switching the middle two letters. Thoughts?

my exact opposite are STPs and NFJs, according to first 4 functions. So ESTP is complete opposite. I like STPs but NFJs really not, I rarely have that negative reaction on people like I had on few INFJs I met. That's why the idea of grouping NPs and NJs sounds okay, and not NFs and NTs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hmm. From switching the middle two letters we get ISTP, whom I really don't have a problem with.

ESTJs, who would be my complete opposite, not so much. In fact, I would probably stereotype ESTJ as the people with whom I've had the most IRL conflict.

I think, somewhat similar to Chloee with her NJ typing, I've actually had more problems with NTJs than STPs. In fact, the only SPs who bother me at all are ESFPs, and that's mainly because in large doses they can be freaking annoying.

ETA: Actually, I feel a need to qualify the comment about ESFPs. They can be really cool and nice. I actually have a couple of ESFP friends, and I probably even dated one or two. It's just that they'll be loud when I need them to be quiet, or they'll want to talk too much when I need space. I like them, but they aren't the ideal person for me to spend a large amount of time with.

MBTI
    ENFP

The way you have it set up doesn't make sense to me. I will tell you what makes sense to me, and I don't know if I am agreeing or disagreeing with popular theory.

If you are an ISTJ, Si-dominant, your shadow will use Se. I have come to this conclusion by noticing that my Ne is always connected with Ni. I get small Ni flashes and 'feelings' to accompany my constant Ne.

Sure, it looks nice to line up all eight functions and reverse them, but I don't think it is that simple, and I don't buy it. Your functions are paired together, you use Si WITH Te. You use Fi With Ne, in a Fi-dominant manner. I think it would make the most sense for a shadow not to be reversing the letters, (ISTJ > ENFP), not to reverse the functions (ISTJ > INFJ), but to reverse the introversion and extroversion on each of your four dominant functions, which just happen to be your next four functions, in order. I think within each group of four there are two pair, the lower being inferior, and within the whole there is one pair (comprised of two groups of four functions each), the lower of which is inferior and rarely switched to.

That would mean you are on the right track by saying you switch the middle two letters- but you are not quite right. In your example,
    Si>Te>Fi>Ne> Se>Ti>Fe>Ni becomes

Ni>Fe>Ti>Se> Ne>Fi>Te>Si.

But in the bold sections, I see no reason why your shadow would 'reverse' the order of your functions, making the weakest one dominant and the fifth one weakest. It makes more sense to invert the Introversion and Extroversion of each function, and then apply it. That means....

Si>Te>Fi>Ne becomes
    Se>Ti>Fe>Ni.

In this manner, an introvert's shadow is extroverted, and vise versa. It uses the "other part" of the dominant faculty and so on down the chain. The formula is to reverse the first and last letters, which is why I said you were on the right track.
    ISTJ > ESTP

With your method, my shadow would be an ESTP. I...really don't think it is. I have only one time been so crushed that my personality totally changed. I used Ni and Fe at the time, constantly seeing long-term visions of peoples likely actions and how I felt about them. It was very, very different from anything else I have experienced.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    The way you have it set up doesn't make sense to me. I will tell you what makes sense to me, and I don't know if I am agreeing or disagreeing with popular theory.

If you are an ISTJ, Si-dominant, your shadow will use Se. I have come to this conclusion by noticing that my Ne is always connected with Ni. I get small Ni flashes and 'feelings' to accompany my constant Ne.

Sure, it looks nice to line up all eight functions and reverse them, but I don't think it is that simple, and I don't buy it. Your functions are paired together, you use Si WITH Te. You use Fi With Ne, in a Fi-dominant manner. I think it would make the most sense for a shadow not to be reversing the letters, (ISTJ > ENFP), not to reverse the functions (ISTJ > INFJ), but to reverse the introversion and extroversion on each of your four dominant functions, which just happen to be your next four functions, in order. I think within each group of four there are two pair, the lower being inferior, and within the whole there is one pair (comprised of two groups of four functions each), the lower of which is inferior and rarely switched to.

That would mean you are on the right track by saying you switch the middle two letters- but you are not quite right. In your example,
    Si>Te>Fi>Ne> Se>Ti>Fe>Ni becomes

Ni>Fe>Ti>Se> Ne>Fi>Te>Si.

But in the bold sections, I see no reason why your shadow would 'reverse' the order of your functions, making the weakest one dominant and the fifth one weakest. It makes more sense to invert the Introversion and Extroversion of each function, and then apply it. That means....

Si>Te>Fi>Ne becomes
    Se>Ti>Fe>Ni.

In this manner, an introvert's shadow is extroverted, and vise versa. It uses the "other part" of the dominant faculty and so on down the chain. The formula is to reverse the first and last letters, which is why I said you were on the right track.
    ISTJ > ESTP

With your method, my shadow would be an ESTP. I...really don't think it is. I have only one time been so crushed that my personality totally changed. I used Ni and Fe at the time, constantly seeing long-term visions of peoples likely actions and how I felt about them. It was very, very different from anything else I have experienced.
    You bring about a very good point. I actually wasn't arguing for INFJ to be the shadow type of ISTJ, I just noticed it had the opposite function order. Anyway, I made a thread once asking if I was ever extroverted. There was a point in my life where I was so intensely stressed, and I wanted to have the energy of people and be around more people to overcome that stress. I was almost certainly extroverted and carefree/laid back/non-scheduled P... ESTP. In fact the thread of that is here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ed-before.html

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

From the functional standpoint, that makes sense.

However, I always considered myself to have a lot in common with ESFP's. They are also social, laidback, and have a rebellious/playful streak.

I would actually say my true opposite is the ISTJ.
    It's the type I relate to the least.
    However, that doesn't mean I'm not a T.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    so you think that ENFPs shadow are INFJs?

that is also what I'm saying - but basically all types that have 5th-8th function as 1st-4th are shadow types, which are for NFPs and STJs -STPs and NFJs.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post

that is also what I'm saying - but basically all types that have 5th-8th function as 1st-4th are shadow types, which are for NFPs and STJs -STPs and NFJs.
    Right, that's what Into It and I are saying. I've found this true in real life.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post

That actually mirrors Socionic quadra theory very well.

Socionic quadras look (very, very, roughly) like this:

Alpha:

NTP, SFJ

Beta:

STJ, NFP

Gamma:

NTJ, SFP

Delta:

STP, NFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    That actually mirrors Socionic quadra theory very well.
    yeah, i noticed that with (I)NFJs (don't get along with them) but STPs not (for now, I didn't look around much!)...

LOL, just realized you're INFJ, ... well, there could be exceptions

p.s. i thought NFPs were Delta :confused: but it's not really important... so 1st and 3th Quadras don't get along, right? and 2nd and 4th? (in theory of course)