User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    It doesn't matter if MBTI is hard wired into our biology or if it's simply a human construct. A person's personality and modes of thinking are mostly solidified once they reach late teens to early 20's. After that they will change very slowly.
    Can we really assume that this tendency to solidify one's personality has a biological basis? In other words, what if people just have a tendency to go with what they know past a certain point in life. I think many of our explanations for mental processes are overly biological and often only suggest correlation.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Can we really assume that this tendency to solidify one's personality has a biological basis? In other words, what if people just have a tendency to go with what they know past a certain point in life. I think many of our explanations for mental processes are overly biological and often only suggest correlation.

I've been an INFP for as long as I can remember. And that's back to about three years old. I'm sure during the first three years that parents let their child's personality develop by itself. My siblings were raised in the same environment, and they have different personality types.

Who knows? I think it is genetic.
    <3

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Soar337 View Post
    I've been an INFP for as long as I can remember. And that's back to about three years old. I'm sure during the first three years that parents let their child's personality develop by itself. My siblings were raised in the same environment, and they have different personality types.

Who knows? I think it is genetic.
    What is genetic? It would be hard to prove that some attribute of mind is strictly genetic. That leads to a sort of biological determinism with the end result being ascribing certain personalities to various races, genders, etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I know, I was thinking that while I was typing. DNA can't really determine how we think, I don't think. So the only other option is the soul ! :P Hahaha.

But many people don't accept that because they don't want to get their hopes up.

I actually tried typing out three different paragraphs before erasing them.

Because however much I analysed it, it always came back to the factors being environmental, or genetic. From what humans know from science so far, there's really no explanation for emotions other than human evolution and society...but we are also so evolved that we have the ability to question if our emotions are even real. Makes you wonder what else we are capable of? I wonder why many aren't capable of believing in a soul. It's quite sad.
    <3

MBTI
    ENTP

I just think much of our personality is pure habit of mind and learned behavior. This is why cognitive therapy is effective.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yes. I wonder what would happen if three children were raised in the EXACT same way from birth, even down to the same facial expressions that the one woman who cared for them gave them (I know this is very unmoral but I'm resorting to extreme measures) while they lived in a neutral house, saw no other children to pick up behavior from, gained no meaning of right and wrong...

I wonder if (apart from being emotionally scared (but again then again we have gained this view from society) they would have different personalities, or even HAVE a personality? It's a dark concept and I would never wish it on any innocent child, lol.

Umm, I don't know why I picked three. Could be a thousand. They wouldn't be able to talk to each other because they wouldn't know how. Perhaps they could communicate somehow.

Actually, due to human intelligent they would probably create a language...and eventually wonder why they were there...is there a God? If there was a world past this tiny house they lived in?

Haha...OK. I don't think we are ever going to truly understand emotions.
    <3

MBTI
    ENTP

Yes. I wonder what would happen if three children were raised in the EXACT same way from birth, even down to the same facial expressions that the one woman who cared for them gave them (I know this is very unmoral but I'm resorting to extreme measures) while they lived in a neutral house, saw no other children to pick up behavior from, gained no meaning of right and wrong...
    Even then they would have a unique experience of Life.

"A child is born into a world of phenomena, all equal in their power to enslave." - Equus

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

But isn't how they react to the world without any other factors their true personality? What else would this be called?

Oh, never mind, I understand what you mean. With them being human (even an animal) would still react in a certain way and feel something, whether it's curiosity or fear or something because they are alive. I think that's what you mean?
    <3

MBTI
    ENTP

But isn't how they react to the world without any other factors their true personality? What else would this be called?

Oh, never mind, I understand what you mean. With them being human (even an animal) would still react in a certain way and feel something, whether it's curiosity or fear or something because they are alive. I think that's what you mean?
    To me, true personality is how you manifest in any given circumstance.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

LOL! You should have said that to begin with! :P
    <3