User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Favorite "Help" Aspect of MBTI?

I think the biggest thing MBTI does for me is help me find people's core motivations and this is huge (to me). It allows me to more accurately predict their behavior.

Sure, there's no perfect system, and MBTI is not always right. But I think it's sorta like counting cards: the odds are in your favor.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Do you count cards, too?

MBTI helps me understand the people who're closest to me. I've dragged my husband to it and it's helped our relationship. Understanding and being understood are very important to me.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ENFj

Well it has helped me understand myself and why I tend to do certain things, what motivates me as well as my strenghts and weaknessess. I don't really like to type other people because I believe everyone else is unique (even though I noticed that a friend of my and a coworker of my talk nearly in identical ways).
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

I'm not sure.

But I found the Understand Yourself and Others series a great way of integrating various aspects of the theory in a modular way.

I find the ways of combining the stuff I learned fascinating. But I wonder if much of it is actually applicable, though.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I mostly see it as a way of solving various social problems eventually. If we can refine our understanding and use the theory to understand people's motivations, we can better predict what causes conflict. Also, it allows me explain some of the more complicated insights into behavior that I have in a way that people can understand.

ygolo: Is your name "ology" (the Greek suffix meaning "the study of") spelled backwards? I can't believe I didn't notice that till now. Can I infer that you like to study things a lot, especially given that you're an INTP?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I mostly see it as a way of solving various social problems eventually. If we can refine our understanding and use the theory to understand people's motivations, we can better predict what causes conflict. Also, it allows me explain some of the more complicated insights into behavior that I have in a way that people can understand.

ygolo: Is your name "ology" (the Greek suffix meaning "the study of") spelled backwards? I can't believe I didn't notice that till now. Can I infer that you like to study things a lot, especially given that you're an INTP?
    Yes, it is. I thought I mentioned it earlier, when I was trying to work out my type.

I miss more obvious things all the time, no big deal really.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Yes, it is. I thought I mentioned it earlier, when I was trying to work out my type.

I miss more obvious things all the time, no big deal really.
    Does it make you chuckle to know I pronounce it "Gee-golo"?

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Does it make you chuckle to know I pronounce it "Gee-golo"?
    Yes.... As long as you don't solicit.

Robot Fusion

Enneagram
    1w2

I never noticed that. I like. I thought it was why-go-low and referenced something else.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ

If we can refine our understanding and use the theory to understand people's motivations, we can better predict what causes conflict. Also, it allows me explain some of the more complicated insights into behavior that I have in a way that people can understand.
    Bingo.

It is also extremely useful in determining a person's learning style, which is very beneficial as a teacher/tutor/coach/manager, etc.