• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Types of countries' citizens

Mole

Permabanned
I've been unimpressed by the Aussies and Kiwis I've met here to the extent that I've started to feel like I'm prejudiced against those nationalities...

Even Aussies and Kiwis are not impressed by one another so there is no need to sacrifice your principles, just enjoy our deprecating humour.

There is so much not to like about us, it is a wonder to us why anyone wants to be our friend.

But I guess if they know what we really are, they are true friends indeed.

But by necessity we have made a virtue of getting along with even those who don't like us. And we have found this surprisingly easy and productive.

And afterwards we kick back on our large, flat, dry Continent and have the hide to claim half of another, even flatter and drier.

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
What people don’t seem to understand is that the US is large enough and populous enough that it has developed two brains, or two main philosophical cultures, and thus would be suited better if we were to divide the US into states. This would be like trying to classify Europe (or more accurately the EU) in one MBTI category, and if I were to do that, I would class them as ESFP. Hopefully I made my point, though I’m serious on what I would classify Europe as in accord to my bias.

I don't see how the citizens of the US are getting ESTJ without any consideration to other factors, I'm guessing others are judging the US based off of it's foreign policy and are painting a picture with that, the people of the US, obviously diverse, but tend to favor F's over T's, and, P's over J's, this I am quite confident in. This obviously differs from state to state, but the more populous states (thus the majority of the US) are ESFP. California holds about 12% of the US population, and ESTJ is almost one of the furthest mbti scores one could come up with for Ca.

I would break down the US it would be West and East coast (not including Alaska) ESFP with a little ENFP, South ESTJ, Mid West ISTJ

In regards to England and Sweden, (perhaps I'm suffering from transnational misconceptions myself) I don't see how those two are ISTJ, nothing in those two countries in regards to it's citizens suggest any traditional or authority respecting schools of thought that I can observe. I would denote those two with P's at least, though I don’t claim authority in this regard.

Lightyear

I'm just gonna take a guess at the overall culture. not really based on anything, just thowin' stuff out
Japan: ISJ (mostly) INJ (some)
America: ETJ (corporate), EFJ (liberals), STJ (conservatives), ESP (jocks), ESFJ or ESP (cheerleaders), STP (blue collar workers), ESP (general black culture), ENFP or INTJ (libertarians)
Spain: ENFJ or ESFP
France: FP (probably ESFP)
Italy: ENFJ
England: ENTP
Australia: ESP
Mexico: EFJ
Germany: ISFP
Greece: EFJ
Russia: INT

I don't agree with too many of these, no way Germany is ISFP. Germany is the quintessential Guardian country; rules, rules, rules; very organized, perfectionist and efficient; not rocking the boat but trying to keep things as they always were; insanely security concious; worrying too much and being pessimistic, thinking about everything that could go wrong and trying to avoid it by creating more rules.

I would say the country is ISTJ with a good portion of N thrown in. German culture, media etc. also has more depth to it than I have seen in other countries, we have a long history of world-renowned intellectuals, musicians, writers, artists etc, Germany used to be known as "the country of the poets and the thinkers".

Also England is not ENTP, unless alcohol is involved the English are socially uneasy introverts, some of their main characteristics are reserve, understatement and keeping up a culture of politeness (in contrast to Germany where people just tell you exactly what they think since they consider being truthful far more important than being polite or inoffensive) I would say ISFJ for England though I think there might be a lot of P in there, they are definitely far more P than the über-organized Germans.

And Greek people are not Js, they are very spontaneous, they somehow pulled off these 2004 Olympics gloriously despite having started to build everything at the last minute. Also applying rules to Greek traffic is difficult, their way of driving seemed very P to me ;) They are also very social and hospitable, can be pretty rude, loud and outspoken (and I live in London which is a tough city, but people here are just more polite and considerate than most people I have met in Greece) but they are also not easily offended. I would say ESTP perhaps with some F thrown in there.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
The quintessential ISFP nation must be Belgium :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Just some guesses for the US

South: ESFJ
Midwest: ISFJ
Plains/Mountains: ISTJ
Midatlantic: ESFP
Southern California: ESFP
The rest of the Pacific coast: INFP
Southwest: ISFP
New England: No idea

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I love the USA but clearly after the country was conned by Bush's emotional plea after 9/11, we still are stuck occupying Afghanistan and Iraq, the Patriot Act still is substantially enforceable and the fact Faux News is still running strong seems clear to me that the US culture is now xSFJ. The founding fathers however seemed to be much more NT.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Wow... Netherlands? I find it quite shocking.

I'd go with 'N'. I remember a huge psychological/sociological experiment in which the people from different countries were shown paintings and based on this the 'ultimate' painting for the country was made. Long story short, the Netherlands were the only ones who ended up with an abstract painting! (and that's very 'N' ;) ).

Not the Netherlands... :cry:

Face it, we got quite effed up the last few decades. I have no clue how we became this way. All I know is that it's just a shame, I agree.

Mole

Permabanned
I love the USA but clearly after the country was conned by Bush's emotional plea after 9/11...

Ever since Adam and Eve named the plants and the animals, the first duty of a leader is to name.

And your President named the enemy.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most of Europe, excluding Italy and a few others, would be Introverted. In these it's not common to start conversations with strangers in most situations, and when strangers have to talk it's far more often formal and stilted than in Extroverted cultures, in which a sense of familiarity is garnered very quickly. The same is true, so I hear, of China and Japan. The USA and Italy have among the most famously Extroverted cultures, others being the African countries I'm aware of (e.g. Egypt, Ghana, Nigeria all extremely friendly in public).

France: ISFP. Famous for the importance placed on visual arts, fashion and cuisine, and has a collaboratively rebellious streak (the Revolution, frequent cross-industry strike action etc.)

Lebanon: ESFP. Extremely fashion-conscious and stylish with a high demand for plastic surgery. The party capital of the Middle East. Chaotic roads with drivers not knowing the few rules and the police, until very recently, not caring about them either. Friendly and warm in public.

England: IXFJ. Particularly emphasised values include propriety, tact/inoffensiveness and modesty. Like to support an underdog over a hot favourite, even if the underdog isn't very good. Literature is probably the most respected artform (N) and there's a strong tendency to romanticise or long for the past without ignoring or forgetting its faults (S).
Sure we're not as J as Germany but who is? :alttongue: The drive to arrange ourselves into orderly queues at every opportunity gives us away.

Scotland: ESTP. Reputation for high levels of alcohol abuse, poor dietary habits and crime, and for people being outspoken, straight-forward and blunt.

Ireland: ENFP. Sociable, upbeat, stories and poetry important, tendency to not take themselves or authority figures too seriously yet is one of the most religious countries in Europe.

USA: ESFJ. Being less than outgoing and not wearing your heart on your sleeve is almost pathologised; extremely patriotic and in love with tradition (both the left and the right). Hard-working and concerned with other people's private lives (both celebrities' and politicians'). S probably wins out but N is also very prominent, especially historically. Quite well balanced in that area.

Germany: ISTJ. I agree with Lightyear, based on the perceptions we Brits have of it.

And Lightyear is absolutely right that alcohol changes everything for a growing number of Britons, our drunken alter ego being an unhealthy ESTP. The binge drinking epidemic is supposedly much worse for us than any other European nation, but there's no general consensus as to why.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I don't agree with too many of these, no way Germany is ISFP. Germany is the quintessential Guardian country; rules, rules, rules; very organized, perfectionist and efficient; not rocking the boat but trying to keep things as they always were; insanely security concious; worrying too much and being pessimistic, thinking about everything that could go wrong and trying to avoid it by creating more rules.

Miss Merkel is not amused:

angela_merkel.jpg

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm curious as to where you are from originally (if not NZ) and whether you found it weird/difficult? Unfortunately, I've been unimpressed by the Aussies and Kiwis I've met here to the extent that I've started to feel like I'm prejudiced against those nationalities, which is bad (especially when you make assumptions about people when you've just met them) and really goes against my principles. I try to look at people as individuals rather than as a group, which definitely helps (groups of people are much easier to dislike than individuals, I find), but then some people make it hard for you to look at them as anything but a group!!

I really hope I’m not prejudiced against ESTP/ESFP, but when so many people seem to have so little interest in activities which don’t involve alcohol, and lots of it, well…

I think London tends to bring out the worst in Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas. I'm told there's a ray gun in Heathrow which subtracts 40 IQ points, instills a raging thirst and inflated sense of patriotism in new antipodean arrivals. It also predisposes them to seek out bartending jobs.

Actually I think part of the problem (there are a few bigger, more obvious ones) is that most Aussies come from urban areas and when they go overseas they feel they have to act out an "outback Aussie" persona in order to live up to expectations. So they drink a lot, make too much noise, exaggerate perceived Aussie traits (eg confidence, machismo, irreverence, informality) and generally act obnoxiously. Mostly in groups where they attempt to out-Aussie one another. Sorry about that. If it's any consolation they are often haunted by guilt once they return to Aus.

When my parents travelled around Europe in the 70s they told everyone they were kiwis because Aussies had such a terrible reputation. Sounds like the kiwis have caught up, which surprises me I must admit.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When my parents travelled around Europe in the 70s they told everyone they were kiwis because Aussies had such a terrible reputation. Sounds like the kiwis have caught up, which surprises me I must admit.
Me too. The Kiwi accent makes them sound a lot more uptight and formal for some reason. Whether their culture lead to that manner of speaking or the manner of speaking developed for other reasons and sounds uptight coincidentally, I'm not sure, but I've also never seen a Kiwi act like a stereotypical Aussi (perhaps because I don't live in London and they've all been teachers and soap characters...).

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Scotland: ESTP. Reputation for high levels of alcohol abuse, poor dietary habits and crime, and for people being outspoken, straight-forward and blunt.

I'd say xNTJ myself - not a P because it's not laser fare like France, it's pretty full on intense. The Scots don't let go their history, are pretty agressive and actually pretty invenetive - many inventions come from Scots - given it's a tiny country, they also pretty visionary (a fair few things we take forgranted were invented by the Scots).

Great Scottish Inventors
Category:Scottish inventors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm curious as to where you are from originally (if not NZ) and whether you found it weird/difficult? Unfortunately, I've been unimpressed by the Aussies and Kiwis I've met here to the extent that I've started to feel like I'm prejudiced against those nationalities, which is bad (especially when you make assumptions about people when you've just met them) and really goes against my principles. I try to look at people as individuals rather than as a group, which definitely helps (groups of people are much easier to dislike than individuals, I find), but then some people make it hard for you to look at them as anything but a group!!

I really hope I’m not prejudiced against ESTP/ESFP, but when so many people seem to have so little interest in activities which don’t involve alcohol, and lots of it, well…
To an extent, these groups are self selecting. The more gregarious ones clump together and get rowdy, the rest go off alone and do their own thing. Large coherent groups of Australians are obnoxious both at home and overseas (but probably worse overseas, where certain inhibiting social pressures are absent).

Australia is more introverted than extroverted (not massively so, but the balance definitely tips towards the I). We perceive ourselves as more extroverted than we are. When we try to project our "national identity" (ugh (considering my avatar I shouldn't really complain)), we come across as jingoistic and immature. It is fundamentally a failure of self perception.

Also, a lot of us are arseholes and we have a big opinion of ourselves.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say xNTJ myself - not a P because it's not laser fare like France, it's pretty full on intense. The Scots don't let go their history, are pretty agressive and actually pretty invenetive - many inventions come from Scots - given it's a tiny country, they also pretty visionary (a fair few things we take forgranted were invented by the Scots).

Great Scottish Inventors
Category:Scottish inventors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, possibly. ESTPs are often intense too. A lot of inventors may have come from there but that doesn't mean their culture puts great emphasis on it or encourages novel thought in particular. Otherwise, wouldn't the rest of the world pick up on it as a typically Scottish value? I would actually say the USA, which I type as ESFJ with a strong N, displays much more enthusiasm and pride about its inventors, even going as far as claiming credit for a number of things it didn't invent. But maybe. The 'severe' manner and dare I mention thrift often attributed to the Scottish could easily be seen as NTJ.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, possibly. ESTPs are often intense too. A lot of inventors may have come from there but that doesn't mean their culture puts great emphasis on it or encourages novel thought in particular. Otherwise, wouldn't the rest of the world pick up on it as a typically Scottish value? I would actually say the USA, which I type as ESFJ with a strong N, displays much more enthusiasm and pride about its inventors, even going as far as claiming credit for a number of things it didn't invent.

Stereo typical Scottishness and real Scottishness is different.... The culture is definately leans towards early adoption of new technology - way, way ahead of England. The Scots are ferouciously proud of any of their heros (they are scarily pro scots - to the point of over doing it ... and I'm Scottish :D). It's a tiny population that hits way above thier fighting weight in term of global contribution.

I'd say you are pretty spot on with the US typing, although I suspect the S may change in the next 50 years... the whole religious, squarness of values etc... I don't say that is a bad thing (unless it's taken to the point of narrow mindedness), my experiene of the US is that it is a damned sight better manered than the UK.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say you are pretty spot on with the US typing, although I suspect the S may change in the next 50 years... the whole religious, squarness of values etc... I don't say that is a bad thing (unless it's taken to the point of narrow mindedness), my experiene of the US is that it is a damned sight better manered than the UK.
Interesting point that, it's a strange phenomenon. Good manners here are measured differently than across the pond. My theory is, England - and perhaps the rest of the UK, but certainly England - has more formal social standards and rules than the USA, and these have the double effect of making us more irritable with suppressed emotion, and acting as a cover for irritable or mean-spirited outbursts. People feel safer to vent frustration or be nasty because they've got their more restrictive and elaborate social niceties to compensate with and to accuse the other person of breaching. The Houses of Parliament, with their Right Honourable this and Noble Lord that, being a fine example. And although its members can come across as downright immature and opportunistic in their exchanges with each other, I have to say I don't envy the reverence Americans are expected to show for high-ranking politicians, whom I think should be treated as the employees that they are.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Interesting point that, it's a strange phenomenon. Good manners here are measured differently than across the pond. My theory is, England - and perhaps the rest of the UK, but certainly England - has more formal social standards and rules than the USA, and these have the double effect of making us more irritable with suppressed emotion, and acting as a cover for irritable or mean-spirited outbursts. People feel safer to vent frustration or be nasty because they've got their more restrictive and elaborate social niceties to compensate with and to accuse the other person of breaching. The Houses of Parliament, with their Right Honourable this and Noble Lord that, being a fine example. And although its members can come across as downright immature and opportunistic in their exchanges with each other, I have to say I don't envy the reverence Americans are expected to show for high-ranking politicians, whom I think should be treated as the employees that they are.

Stereo typical Englashman doesn't exists anymore, probably since the 60's/70's... Old money and distinguished people are probably 1-2% of the entire population. Think rude, poorly mannered lager lout and you have the average 25 year old - foot ball fans who are particulalrly unpleasant... even its a bit of a generalisation but truer than I think your perception is likely to be.

The well heeled, gentleman is an exceptionately rare breed, and the upper classes etc are probably 1-2% of the population