User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    Exactly what I was going too say!!!!!! I would say we are quite ENTP. Think Billy Connolly, Frankie Boyle ect All typical ENTP humour. Mind you I can see ESTP to an extent. Scotland also has a history of gorrilla warfare If you look up Robert the Bruce you will see. So I'm sticking with ENTP. Also in scotland NT humour goes down well with everyone, especially SPs. My SP friends find my sense of humour hilarious which I'm sure wouldn't happen in other countries.

CJ - the reality of Scotland is different from the stereo type...

As for the US, zenophobia, parochial-ness, a fair bit is close minded/extremist moral views... wasn't into the diet loved the light quality

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I do think there are things about these people I could enjoy/appreciate if I could look beyond the bad points. They tend to be easy going, don't really dislike anyone, spontaneous...etc. And frankly, I may be a bit jealous because they seem to be having more fun than me in a lot of cases
    English backpackers over here are pretty much the same.

One of the weird things I would say about the Kiwis I've met here is a lot of them don't seem to have much personality. Of any type! Less than the Aussies. I have to wonder if it's something to do with them being subsumed into "the group." Like, if I could get them away from the crowd, their real personality might come out more, and one I could get along with better...
    Kiwis tend to be a very undemonstrative mob. I think one of the biggest social blunders you can make in NZ is looking like you're full of yourself. So they do their best not to stand from the crowd. Kiwis tell me that a lack of confidence is pretty much a national trait, while they perceive Aussies as being confident to the point of cockiness. It's a big part of what they dislike about us.

I read a thread on an INFJ discussion board, I think it was, where someone said it seemed like there was a serious lack of INFJ types in Aussie society and everyone was expected to be ESTP or maybe ESFP. One person who commented agreed that Aus society tended to uphold the ESTP ideal, but that it seemed like there were plenty of people of other types (including NFs and NTs) but they were going along with the ESxP crowd because, well, that seemed like the way to go. I thought there could be a lot of truth in that.
    I think the "typical" Aussie would be either ESTP or ISTP. Which isn't saying that there are the most of those types -- I mean that those are the types whose characteristics seem to be most commonly esteemed. Australia has to be one of the most sensor-friendly place on earth. Especially outside of the cities.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    If I'm in the states people say please and thank you as standard, they offer to help women with bags for them, open doors etc etc. I find the US startlingly polite in comparison to the UK travel I've done. My larger lout analogy may be extreme but core manners are not showing in the UK anymore and their is a huge population who are larger louts. Basic manners have all but dissapeared.

Yes I agree London is not a fair representation of the UK but I'm pretty well traveled in the UK and I still say US far outstrips it for basic manners of the man in the street. Call centers with rude staff, in the supermarket etc, etc...

Best service staff I've come across are Ozzies by miles

And I completely agree in many places England has reserve... but that is different from general etiquet and manners
    Tinkerbell wins my vote on a good description of England.

My mum's side is Scottish, and my grandpa describes the English people he had to work with, after they moved down South as lazy, incompetent, -10000% proactive, indecisive and so on. He goes to his first meeting (architecture/landscapedesign), and they all chat about what needs doing for next meeting, next meeting, nothing's been done, and a about a half way into to the meeting he explodes, realising they're basically just going to sit around talking about doing things, never getting on with anything. They never did it again

My mum described her PE lessons in England as all the girls being exceedingly shocked at how she'd grunt in shotput, disliked the skirt (not that she didn't like skirts, just felt it was a tad unsuited to sport) and played like a guy pretty much and so on.

But this is back in the 70s-80s.

I'd say Scotland is rather NT. England...Possibly IStJ...
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    Are there any INTP countries?
    Some place with small villages separated by wilderness it would seem according to some type description.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyman View Post
    Wow... Netherlands? I find it quite shocking.

I'd go with 'N'. I remember a huge psychological/sociological experiment in which the people from different countries were shown paintings and based on this the 'ultimate' painting for the country was made. Long story short, the Netherlands were the only ones who ended up with an abstract painting! (and that's very 'N' ).
    It's 'N' or characteristic of artificiality. The Dutch are of course water engineers and merchants. Sounds like ISTP. 'Cool and casual': ESTJ. Not that polite (<-- attempt for euphemism of the year award): EStJ? Traditional dutch girl: ISFJ. Hmm. The inventiveness (in seafaring and arts and sciences) would point to a big N-aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    The quintessential ISFP nation must be Belgium
    Agree.

What about Iceland: ESfj ?
    INtj | 9w1

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post

I think the "typical" Aussie would be either ESTP or ISTP. Which isn't saying that there are the most of those types -- I mean that those are the types whose characteristics seem to be most commonly esteemed. Australia has to be one of the most sensor-friendly place on earth. Especially outside of the cities.
    I remember when travelling to Australia and New Zealand being very unimpressed with these countries because to me they just seemed to lack depth (when it comes to culture, history, art etc; their culture seemed to be a light version of British culture) and I could never live there long-term. However I had sensor friends who loved these countries, I guess I am not really that impressed by amazing nature but more by a unique way of thinking, a lot of history, diversity etc.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    Scotland also has a history of gorrilla warfare If you look up Robert the Bruce you will see.
    Gorillas in the Scotch Mist?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Good god yes....

LOL clan risings etc - mainly in the north...

Basically Scottish clans = families. Lived in villages witin the hills, when they want to fight other clans they would creep up on them and attack. They used to do it to the English too when they were at war with them. They deploy some interesting battle strategies...

Scotland has a hisotry of being pretty vicious.

Better point out, this was several 00'ed years ago - but they are still pretty nifty. Royal Bank of Scotland in the 1980's was some wee Scottish local bank, which then took over one of the largest retail banking outlets in the UK - NatWest... (Scotland other big bank was also trying to buy the bank). RBS then went on to buy around the world, and were the largest bank in the world at one point (don't quote me, I may be wrong).... then the banks crashed and RBS is currently in shame... still for a small outlet it came a long, long way in 20 years.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I remember when travelling to Australia and New Zealand being very unimpressed with these countries because to me they just seemed to lack depth (when it comes to culture, history, art etc; their culture seemed to be a light version of British culture) and I could never live there long-term. However I had sensor friends who loved these countries, I guess I am not really that impressed by amazing nature but more by a unique way of thinking, a lot of history, diversity etc.
    Yeah, the nature is extraordinary, which is what I loved when I travelled in those countries a few years ago. Places like Uluru have really powerful feelings attached to them because of their natural splendour.

The thing is, while Aus may not be mainly known for its culture, it has some great writers and musicians - David Malouf, Peter Carey, Margo Lanagan (writers) and I do like their rock music - Midnight Oil is one of my all time faves. They're loud and brash, yes, but also thoughtful, intelligent and moving. As for NZ, Neil Finn of Crowded House is possibly the greatest living songwriter, with deep and moving lyrics and incredibly tuneful songs. But quite frankly, the majority of Aussies and Kiwis I've met have managed to strike me as shallow enough that I tend to think people with much depth/artistry must feel like fish out of water there. Again, though, this is mainly based on my impression of overseas Aussies/Kiwis.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Oh yeah. Robert the Bruce won the battle of banuchburn by effectively causing the english army into being fenced by a bog so half then drowned and the rest were trampled by the panicing horses. He then spent the next two or three days hunting down and killing every single englishman who escaped.
    Friendly people when were your friends. Viscious when were not.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    CJ - the reality of Scotland is different from the stereo type...
    I know I live there after all!
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!