User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Do you think we are limited by all we have been able to perceive and process over the course of our lifetime? All that has come into our awareness. Those are the building blocks you are working with.
    yeah, i think we are definitely limited by what we perceive in our own lifetime.
    i think we are limited because we need input from our enviroment to process, to turn into knowledge. so if we have been exposed to a limited number of things we can only perceive those few things, and we have to build all of our knowledge and understanding based on those few things. i guess it is like Plato's allegory of the cave. if we are only ever exposed to shadows on a wall, we build our idea of reality from that, but if we see the objects casting the shadows we have a verydifferent idea of reality. i cannot believe i just referenced the allegory of the cave, i feel like a huge dork now.

if we are limited by what we percieve in our lifetime, then it seems to me like knowledge and understanding is best served by having as many different experiences as possible.

but i think Owl is right, it not just what we perceive but how we process it. i think someone can be exposed to all kinds of experiences and data, but still not turn it into knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    yeah, i think we are definitely limited by what we perceive in our own lifetime.
    i think we are limited because we need input from our enviroment to process, to turn into knowledge. so if we have been exposed to a limited number of things we can only perceive those few things, and we have to build all of our knowledge and understanding based on those few things. i guess it is like Plato's allegory of the cave. if we are only ever exposed to shadows on a wall, we build our idea of reality from that, but if we see the objects casting the shadows we have a verydifferent idea of reality. i cannot believe i just referenced the allegory of the cave, i feel like a huge dork now.

if we are limited by what we percieve in our lifetime, then it seems to me like knowledge and understanding is best served by having as many different experiences as possible.

but i think Owl is right, it not just what we perceive but how we process it. i think someone can be exposed to all kinds of experiences and data, but still not turn it into knowledge.
    While I was organising my thoughts and thinking about what to say I thought of the allegory of the cave. That's one good use of this forum. To exorcise the dorky demons from your conciousness.

I think everything we have perceived remains in our minds. It's our ability to recall it that makes it knowledge. I think with intuition, it's accessing the store of patterns without requiring conscious thought.

And yeah, we are limited to all we have perceived.

garbage

In Socionics, the functions are called Information Metabolism elements.

I kind of like that.

The functions themselves process knowledge in various ways. They are our mental filter and our way of dealing with the world.