User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Visualizing the Functions of each Type

I've only recently started delving into the functions and what they do for each type. I got so wrapped up in it the other day that I ended up creating this huge spreadsheet displaying all the different types sorted by different things and grouped together every which way I could think of. (I think I had an INTJ moment...)

At any rate, I came up with some interesting patterns that made a whole lot more sense to me now that I've seen them laid out like this, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else has a similar visual preference.

I spent hours looking at these combinations and was excited and pleased to find the patterns and where they mirror or are opposite of other types.

I have a whole different understanding now with how INTJ relates to the other types and why.

Enjoy

Separated into their 4 main groups, Rationals, Artisans, Guardians and Idealists

Shared Dominant and Inferior functions

Shared Secondary and Tertiary functions

Where does Fe and Fi fall for each type and who is most dominant?

Where does Te and Ti fall for each type and who is most dominant?

Where does Ne and Ni fall for each type and who is most dominant?

Where does Se and Si fall for each type and who is most dominant?

Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    I

This is what happens when you let your Te run loose.

I'd like to see you do a chart(s) for Shadow functions too.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    This is what happens when you let your Te run loose.
    Truth

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I'd like to see you do a chart(s) for Shadow functions too.
    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! Nooooooo! Now I'm going to be compelled to do those too. Way to git er done. Now I'll have a mental 'twitch' going on until I have time to do these.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Old news kthxbai. But purty colors.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    xxxx

I was thinking about this just the other day. Am I the only one who thinks about these things but doesn't have to urge to graph them visually? It's really interesting to think about, though. You notice things like:

All SPs have a dominant or auxiliary Se
    All SJs have a dominant or auxiliary Si
    All NPs have a dominant or auxiliary Ne
    All NJs have a dominant or auxiliary Ni
    (And yes, now I'm taunting you to run the data for TPs, TJs, FPs, and FJs.)

And then there's how all pairs of types with all opposite letters (IE: ISTJ and ENFP)Have the same 4 dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, and functions, but in reverse order of each other.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    All TPs have a dominant or auxiliary Ti
    All TJs have a dominant or auxiliary Te
    All FPs have a dominant or auxiliary Fi
    All FJs have a dominant or auxiliary Fe

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Yes, it took a while for me to abstract the patterns for my own sake. Now, using INTP as a point of reference, I can work out in my head the functional arrangement of any other type.

* Es will flip-flop the first two functions, and also the final two.
    * Js will both flip-flop the orientation and change the polarity (Ni for Ne, etc.).
    * ExxJs will retain the functional orientation, but flip the polarity.

Likewise, for any given function I can work out which types it most applies to.

* If it's an introverted function, that's I; if extraverted, that's E.
    * If it's an introverted judgment function (Ti or Fi), that's a P. If extraverted (Te or Fe), that's a J. And T or F, depending.
    * If it's an introverted sensing function (Ni or Si), that's a J. If extraverted (Ne or Se), that's a P. And N or S, depending.

So for any function, that leaves me with two options. A dominant Ti would be IxTP. A dominant Fe would be ExFJ. A dominant Se would be ESxP. And so on.

MBTI
    xxxx

Are you capable of simplifying the algorithm?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I was thinking about this just the other day. Am I the only one who thinks about these things but doesn't have to urge to graph them visually? It's really interesting to think about, though. You notice things like:

And then there's how all pairs of types with all opposite letters (IE: ISTJ and ENFP)Have the same 4 dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, and functions, but in reverse order of each other.
    I think about this stuff all the time. I think over the 3+ years I've been studying this, I've thought of every possible combination and possible way to think of it.

Here's one of my favorites:

N+Ti/Fe:

INTP, ENTP, INFJ, ENFJ

S+Ti/Fe:

ISFJ, ESFJ, ISTP, ESTP

N+Fi/Te:

INFP, ENFP, INTJ, ENTJ

S+Fi/Te:

ISFP, ESFP, ISTJ, ESTJ

Can you see anything in that?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Are you capable of simplifying the algorithm?
    I am, somewhat:

I/E determines the orientation of the dominant function, and J/P tells you whether they use Pi and Je (J), or Ji and Pe (P). Thus, you get the base framework of four types:

Type..Bl#1...Bl#2

IxxJ: [Pi, Je], Ji, Pe

IxxP: [Ji, Pe], Pi, Je

ExxJ: [Je, Pi], Pe, Ji

ExxP: [Pe, Ji], Je, Pi

The middle two letters (S/N and T/F) determine the exact functions that go in the first block. If these are N and F, then the second block contains S and T. Basically, the second block always contains opposite functions of the first, as the missing pair of Ji/Pe or Pi/Je from the first block.

Oh, and of course:

Pi = Si or Ni

Je = Te or Fe

Ji = Ti or Fi

Pe = Se or Ne

Here's something else you might find interesting... my criticism of ambiversion and dynamic type:

Quote Originally Posted by Old Breakdown
    If you want me to offer my version of this, I guess I'll play too. Presuming I believed in dynamic type (which I am not saying I do one way or the other, I'm just accepting the assumption for the purposes of description), this is how I would go:

I/A/E (Introverted, Ambiverted, Extraverted)

N/R/S (iNtuitive, Realist, Sensor)

F/B/T (Feeling, Balanced, Thinking)

J/M/P (Judging, Malleable, Perceiving)

Thus (as examples using I-N-F-J as the potential statics in each position, and assuming Dominant, Auxiliary, Tertiary, Inferior ordering):

ARBM -- Xx, Xx, Xx, Xx (Everything is subject to change completely, although the functions are in an unknowable specific pattern at any given moment. Worst case scenario.)

IRBM -- Xi, Xe, Xi, Xe (Well, the I/E is static... everything else is dynamic.)

INBM -- Xi, Xe [N], Xi, Xe [s] (We know one in the first block is N, and one in the second block is S, but we don't know what kind or where... and it can change.)

INFM -- Xi, Xe [NF], Xi Xe [ST] (We now know this is an INF with an EST shadow. However, the functions are subject to change, except that the first block contains some form of Feeling and Intuition, and the second block contains some form of Thinking and Sensing.)

ARBJ -- Xx, Xx [Je Pi], Xx, Xx [Ji Pe] (We only know that this type has Extraverted Judgment and Introverted perception in the first block, and Introverted Judgment and Extroverted perception in the second block.)

IRBJ -- Pi, Je, Ji, Pe (This is an IJ type. They use some form of Introverted perception as a dominant function, and some form of Extroverted Judgment as an Auxiliary. The specifics are subject to change.)

INBJ -- Ni, Je, Ji, Se (This is an INJ type. They use Ni and have inferior Se, and use some kind of Aux. Extroverted judgement and Tertiary Introverted Judgment that is subject to change.

ARFJ -- Xx, Xx [Fe] Xx, Xx [Ti]. (This type uses Fe in the first block and has a Ti shadow somewhere in the second block, however the specific location and accompanying functions are subject to change.)

IRFJ -- Pi Fe Ti Pe (This is an IFJ type. They have some Introverted perception as dominant, Fe auxiliary and Ti tertiary, and then Extraverted perception as a shadow.)

ANFJ -- Xx, Xx [Ni Fe] Xx, Xx [Ti Se] (This is an NFJ type. They have either Ni or Fe as dominant, and the other as auxiliary, but which is subject to change. The same applies to their shadow.)

ANBM -- Xx, Xx [N] Xx, Xx [s] (I/E not static, otherwise same as INBM.)

ARFM -- Xx, Xx [F] Xx, Xx [T] (J/P not static, otherwise same as ARFJ. Somewhere in first block is Fe or Fi, somewhere in second is Ti or Te. Exact position subject to change.)

Anyway, this should give you an idea of what we've opened up here with permitting dynamic type... we need to use these models to figure out which functions are possible for each position with each letter of certainty. I don't want to try it with every letter combination, of course.

This complexity, unfortunately, does not mean such dynamic type isn't the case, however. Some people may have significantly higher degrees of neuroplasticity than others, and this may be the best they can do.

Do you see how annoyingly complicated this makes things?