User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default What does Extroverted Intuition look like?

I have a hard time conceptualizing Ne. Its a bit as odd as Si to me.

Does anyone have a good way of explaining introverted (fixed, sorry) extroverted intuition that would make sense? Or perhaps what is the difference between Ne and Ni in how it works?

Most of the other functions make sense on a kind of instinctual level to me, but this one doesn't.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

The most common response I hear is that Ne is outside the box and Ni is about the box.

Ni, as I understand it, recognizes implied symbolism. I read an example somewhere that said if you see a man in a nice suit, Si would instinctually relate that to nice suits it's seen before and infer that this guy is rich or important. Ni would simply observe, "Hmm, that suit is a symbol that's supposed to convey the message of being rich or important. What if I instead assume that he's not?"

The Ne response here would be rather something like, "Wouldn't it be funny if he were wearing his pants on his head instead?"

Not literally, but that's symbolic of what Ne does.

A key difference is that Ne wants external validation, because it seeks connections that exist in the outer world, independently of our minds. To Ne, those patterns and connections would still be there even if we weren't--that's where it differs from Ni.

To Ni, it's all just a matter of perception anyway, but Ne looks to make connections that show a degree of external validity, and in the case of NTPs, Ti usually forces it into a logical category. Notice how NTPs will make extensive efforts to make sure you understand the reasoning for why their position is the most reasonable--Ne says the evidence is available out there in the world of ideas and possibilities, look for yourself!

NTJs won't spend time explaining nearly as often. Ni says: If you don't understand, then you don't understand my perspective and you never really will due to subjective perceptual differences. (Te then steps in to get stuff quantitatively done, rather than Ne+Ti's endless posturing.) After all, the pattern or interpretation that I see only exists within me, anyway--trying to explain it to your liking doesn't really serve my goals in any meaningful way. Ni has no real desire to be fully understood by others.

I made this up, but I think it works...

Say you come upon a fence. Se might say, "Let's climb the fence and see what's over there!"

Ne might respond, "No, we should build a rocket ship out of these scrap parts and fly over it!"

Ne is a lot more oriented toward seeing possibilities for action or connection between things in the external world, kind of like Se but for ideas instead of physical/spatial relations.

Ni and Si are more of just attitudes. Si orients by recalling past concrete experience and reasoning that it's better to stick to what we know because that's safe. Si is a force of stabilization and tradition; Ne is the opposing attitude of exploring the unknown and going totally outside the box. Ne hates the idea of doing something one way just because that's what been done before--in fact, to Ne, "it's been done this way before" is a reason NOT to do it that way. Where's the fun in that?

Ne is much too busy toying around with the pieces and playing with possibilities just for its own sake to notice Ni asking: "What does the presence of this fence imply about the people who put it here? Isn't that supposed to mean they want us to keep out?"
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

garbage

For me, any word or phrase can trigger thoughts that are tangential to the original context, then other points of commonality from the original context to these tangential contexts are discovered. I can exploit these commonalities from there.

Sometimes these commonalities are difficult to pinpoint and verbalize, but they can often be abstracted into some overarching framework that explains them all. For example, my fellow simulation researcher ENTP basically made the claim that the subject domain that we're researching--be it business, medical, or engineering--is basically just a data source for us, and they're looking for similar solutions in many cases. Others would say that he's an oddball for thinking this way, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Most any project that I'm working on is like others that I've worked on before; I almost already know how to accomplish it. Most any skill that I'm trying to develop uses such-and-such a principle that I'm already familiar with. With most anyone, I can find common ground for a detailed discussion. And so on.

At least.. that would be my initial approach. Sometimes it can be hard to spot the stark differences that make one context incompatible with another. It's usually in the details, which I tend to gloss over

To others, the contexts that are "tied together" are completely unrelated. But I can't help but find their similarities.

Also, this might be a good read. It seems accurate enough for how I tend to experience it.

Ne unchained: YouTube - Pot Noodle

Just watch a stand-up comedian take on a heckler, like this:

YouTube - Jimmy Carr handles heckler

This is a great one as well:

YouTube - Paul Merton's Inspired Response

I think most comedians tend to be Ne-dominant, or at least have an Ne/Fe pairing.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Socionics
    N/A

According to your representation of Ni/Ne, simulatedworld, I am significantly more oriented towards Ni.

My thoughts are more oriented towards the understanding of the "big picture" (whatever that may be), instead of the manipulation and perception of external data, so as to achieve a novel result.
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/EnglerMeister/hehh.jpg

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

whoa...reading that link greed. i've never read that. that's a really good description.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I think this is a great video of Ne in use...something in his environment triggered it.
    [YOUTUBE="AU8PId_6xec"]Feynman : Inconceivable nature of nature[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

that's a great video wolfie. my initial reaction was enfp...but i think it's because i don't know any entps...do you know what he is?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    that's a great video wolfie. my initial reaction was enfp...but i think it's because i don't know any entps...do you know what he is?
    ENTP supposedly.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    ENTP. Often held up as the best example of ENTP. His books are great btw.