User Tag List

123 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Type and comedians

I've always wondered how typology relates to humor. I've noticed some patterns in observing how people create their own humor particularly comedians. (Although I still don't know how type relates to what we find humorous. Maybe someone else has some insight into that). This is how I've observed the various functions creating humor.

Se - The comedy is based either on situations that we are familiar with or something unusual that the comedian observed. Also Se is more likely to use physical comedy than other functions.

Ne - The humor comes from insight that the person has into the world around us. These are often things that we haven't consciously thought of but usually seem to make sense after we hear them.

Si - The comedian creates humor based on things they find irritating.

Ni - The humor comes from the comedian's unique perspective.

Ti - The humor comes from pointing out things that don't make sense. Although sometimes the humor comes from explaining why something does make sense.

Te - The humor is based on foolishness and stupidity. The comedian may make themselves look foolish or may make fun of other's foolishness. (There is an old comedic principal that humor comes from loss of status and Te picks up on this more than other functions.)

Fi - The comedian creates humor by relating things to their own personal experience. The events may have never really happened to the comedian, but they are told as if they did.

Fe - The humor comes from situations with close relationships like a significant other or parent.

Here are some examples of how the functions interact together:

xSTP - This type of comedian starts with situations that we are familiar with and then points out why the situation does or doesn't make sense.
    Jerry Seinfeld: YouTube - how can a finger be an insult - seinfeld HILAROUIS

xNTP - This type of comedian comes up with their own "insights" into the world and then they elaborate why things do (or don't) make sense based on these insights.
    George Carlin: YouTube - George Carlin Talks About "Stuff"

xSTJ - The humor comes from making fun of foolish or stupid things that are irritating.
    Lewis Black: YouTube - Lewis Black on Broadway talking about how America ISN'T #1

xNTJ - This comedian gives their own unique perspective on something usually to make themself look foolish in doing so.
    Steve Martin: YouTube - Steve Martin - 5 Christmas Wishes

xSFP - This comedian relates things based on if they experienced it themselves. It could be based on something we are familiar with or (in this case) something unusual that the comedian observed.
    Chris Farley: Saturday Night Live - Japanese Game Show - Video - NBC.com

xNFP - This comedian begins by relating things from their personal experiences and then offers "insights" as the story progresses.
    Kathy Griffin: YouTube - Kathy Griffin - Straight To Hell (1/5)

xSFJ - The humor from this comedian comes from irritations that arise out of close relationships.
    Kevin Meany: YouTube - Golden Age Stand-up 32
    YouTube - Kevin Meaney - Big Pants People

xNFJ - The comedian starts from their unique perspective and then shows how it gets them into trouble in their relationships.
    Larry David: YouTube - Larry David's Marriage is Over - Curb Your Enthusiasm

So this is my take on type and comedians. What do the rest of you think? Do you see any other ways that type relates to comedy and humor?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com
    Likes greenfairy liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Definitely agree on Seinfeld, Carlin, Kathy Griffin, Chris Farley Steve Martin, kevin meany.

i don't think it gets that specific, when it comes to funny people. 90% of the funny people I know are NJ's.

I agree on Chris Farley and I love that video.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Interesting thread.

The one time I had to write a comedy script (for a TV production class I took as a fun elective), I wrote a ten minute sketch-format piece about a naive idealist who, in the process of explaining his philosophy to a bum, gets robbed blind and made to look foolish in the end. It wasn't really funny, but it fits in perfectly with your description of Te humor. Too bad I'm not dom or aux Te, and I prefer to listen to the NTP type stuff (by your description, anyway).
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    Definitely agree on Seinfeld, Carlin, Kathy Griffin, Chris Farley Steve Martin, kevin meany.

i don't think it gets that specific, when it comes to funny people. 90% of the funny people I know are NJ's.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I agree on Chris Farley and I love that video.
    Thank you for reading my post and for making comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Interesting thread.

The one time I had to write a comedy script (for a TV production class I took as a fun elective), I wrote a ten minute sketch-format piece about a naive idealist who, in the process of explaining his philosophy to a bum, gets robbed blind and made to look foolish in the end. It wasn't really funny, but it fits in perfectly with your description of Te humor. Too bad I'm not dom or aux Te, and I prefer to listen to the NTP type stuff (by your description, anyway).
    I think you have made a good point here so let me clarify what I mean in my original post. Most comedians use foolishness of some sort even if they aren't TJ, just like most comedians talk about their relationships at some point even if they aren't FJ. So I'm focusing more on what the majority of their material looks like. Additionally since Ti is also a type of thinking it also focuses on pointing out foolishness and stupidity like Te does. The difference is that Ti humor will usually take time to explain why something is foolish, while Te humor relies on the audience already realizing that something is foolish.

For example in the Seinfeld clip I gave he explains why giving the finger is foolish and doesn't make any sense. On the other hand when Jeff Foxworthy says "If you've ever been too drunk to fish then you might be a redneck", he doesn't stop to explain why being so drunk that you can't even fish is foolish. Furthermore he doesn't even explain why it's foolish to be a redneck. The audience is assumed to already understand that it's foolish, so he is creating humor with Te. Seinfeld on the other hand is known for picking things apart and explaining why they don't make sense, so his humor relies more on Ti.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I agree with the OP's suggestions except those for Fi, Ne and Si.

I don't think Fi humour necessarily refers to personal experience, not in a direct way. It's about emotional responses to things and inconsistencies or invalidities in emotional response patterns and in priority setting.

Ne humour goes off on flights of fantasy or asks 'if this, why not that (absurd notion)?' Insight is probably involved but probably only when combined with a Judging function, and other kinds of humour can involve some kind of insight too. It's too vague a term to define it by.

I think Si humour is based on things not conforming to familiar standards, and things in unexpected contexts, and it makes use of the element of surprise. Irritation is often involved, but not always. Again, other kinds of humour can feature irritation too.

xNFP examples: (Russell Howard)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSYVhCFVNSM"]Hate on the Internet[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vrugbuLcKc"]Imagine being a slug[/YOUTUBE]

xSTJ example: (James Corden and Sean Lock)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I3SbdHSteE"]8 Out of 10 Cats, James Corden's Thriller[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I used to hate English stand up (basically hated any stand up non North American) the above [Russle Howard] and a few newer UK comedians are giving me hope. I wonder why that is...is it the world is getting smaller and the "American Experience" as evolved/devolved into some "new world order" of comedy?
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ESFJ

^^^ Hahaha .. I used to say that about Canadian humour .. I'd roll my eyes waiting/hoping to laugh at something/anything ..

YouTube - Dane Cook-Public Restrooms
    This bloke makes me chuckle .. Not a clue though as to what he is.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

I refuse to think Dane Cook is anything but an ESTP
    Hello

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I used to hate English stand up (basically hated any stand up non North American) the above [Russle Howard] and a few newer UK comedians are giving me hope.
    For once I manage to serve my country in a meaningful way.

How do you like David Mitchell? (To almost keep on topic, I think these clips represent xNTJ).
    Flag burning
    Medical science issue

I wonder why that is...is it the world is getting smaller and the "American Experience" as evolved/devolved into some "new world order" of comedy?
    Having heard what I've heard about the process and common experiences of transferring non-American comedy to America, I think it more likely that the ones that get there have usually been those which board room folk believe the American market will take to, and those willing to make significant modifications. I'm not just talking about the many completely remade programmes, I mean individuals who've gone there as well, minding their language and taste more, adapting to a different set of taboos and sacred cows, softening their persona, and perhaps unavoidably, changing their content and references. On the other hand, there may well be new trends in our comedy that you've picked up on and I haven't, as I'm not familiar with many comics from before my time and you could have a broader experience with English comics than most Americans.

Edit - By the way, I think the same is true the other way round too. The majority of American-made comedy and American comedians aren't known by most Brits. We probably have a slanted view of American comedy as a result, too. I think they're picked fairly wisely though because most don't seem to get taken off air again too quickly.