User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

^ very good post Compulsive (and also interesting comment how it can work both ways, at least with Canadian humour saslou)

Really need to expose myself more to newer uk/EU/Aussie stand up comedians before I give an update of my latest comedic prejudices.

The odd thing is when it comes to UK sit coms that air in US (historically public television) I generally found them superior. Only their standup comedians (at least until very recently based on some new talent) did I find dreadful, yes even painful to watch while hearing the audience laughing in the background. Hope my theory of how the melding of cultures effect standup comedy has some truth.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

What are Jim Gaffigan and Mitch Hedberg?
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Jimmy Gaff seems like an enFP maybe? He's got some signature Ne going on though for sure, but nothing too crazy.

Mitch was IsfP....I think. Maybe more N though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I used to hate English stand up (basically hated any stand up non North American) the above [Russle Howard] and a few newer UK comedians are giving me hope. I wonder why that is...is it the world is getting smaller and the "American Experience" as evolved/devolved into some "new world order" of comedy?
    Thing is I rarely find american humour funny!

Watch mock the week if you want brittish humour!
    Russel Howard is on it and so is the legendary Franky Boyle!
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    How do you like David Mitchell?
    He is a genious!
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yay! Comedian youtube links!
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

What about this guy? Thoughts to type?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM&feature=player_embedded"]Pachabel Rant[/YOUTUBE]
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    Thing is I rarely find american humour funny!
    I remember comparing British and American versions of Whose Line Is It Anyway? and even when they had the exact same people on both versions, I still didn't find the British version funny.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Ne - The humor comes from insight that the person has into the world around us. These are often things that we haven't consciously thought of but usually seem to make sense after we hear them.
    Yeah, a perfect example of this is Jim Carrey's standup.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Here's a thread I haven't visited in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    I don't think Fi humour necessarily refers to personal experience, not in a direct way. It's about emotional responses to things and inconsistencies or invalidities in emotional response patterns and in priority setting.
    I think "emotional responses to things" is basically the same as "personal experience". I.e. you tell how you felt in that circumstance. I think you are probably on to something with your other points though.

Ne humour goes off on flights of fantasy or asks 'if this, why not that (absurd notion)?' Insight is probably involved but probably only when combined with a Judging function, and other kinds of humour can involve some kind of insight too. It's too vague a term to define it by.
    Yeah I wish I had a less vague way of saying it. I wouldn't just use "insight", because it's a specific kind of insight. More of a "I never thought about it that way, but now that you mention it that does make sense" kind of insight.

I think Si humour is based on things not conforming to familiar standards, and things in unexpected contexts, and it makes use of the element of surprise. Irritation is often involved, but not always. Again, other kinds of humour can feature irritation too.
    I think familiar standards has more to do with Te or Fe depending on the standard, and surprise is a fairly universal element of comedy. However I think you have a good point about Si looking at something in an unexpected context.

EDIT: @Ushername, I think that guy is xSFP. I might be wrong about S/N though.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com