• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and comedians

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've always wondered how typology relates to humor. I've noticed some patterns in observing how people create their own humor particularly comedians. (Although I still don't know how type relates to what we find humorous. Maybe someone else has some insight into that). This is how I've observed the various functions creating humor.

Se - The comedy is based either on situations that we are familiar with or something unusual that the comedian observed. Also Se is more likely to use physical comedy than other functions.

Ne - The humor comes from insight that the person has into the world around us. These are often things that we haven't consciously thought of but usually seem to make sense after we hear them.

Si - The comedian creates humor based on things they find irritating.

Ni - The humor comes from the comedian's unique perspective.

Ti - The humor comes from pointing out things that don't make sense. Although sometimes the humor comes from explaining why something does make sense.

Te - The humor is based on foolishness and stupidity. The comedian may make themselves look foolish or may make fun of other's foolishness. (There is an old comedic principal that humor comes from loss of status and Te picks up on this more than other functions.)

Fi - The comedian creates humor by relating things to their own personal experience. The events may have never really happened to the comedian, but they are told as if they did.

Fe - The humor comes from situations with close relationships like a significant other or parent.

Here are some examples of how the functions interact together:

xSTP - This type of comedian starts with situations that we are familiar with and then points out why the situation does or doesn't make sense.
Jerry Seinfeld: YouTube - how can a finger be an insult - seinfeld HILAROUIS

xNTP - This type of comedian comes up with their own "insights" into the world and then they elaborate why things do (or don't) make sense based on these insights.
George Carlin: YouTube - George Carlin Talks About "Stuff"

xSTJ - The humor comes from making fun of foolish or stupid things that are irritating.
Lewis Black: YouTube - Lewis Black on Broadway talking about how America ISN'T #1

xNTJ - This comedian gives their own unique perspective on something usually to make themself look foolish in doing so.
Steve Martin: YouTube - Steve Martin - 5 Christmas Wishes

xSFP - This comedian relates things based on if they experienced it themselves. It could be based on something we are familiar with or (in this case) something unusual that the comedian observed.
Chris Farley: Saturday Night Live - Japanese Game Show - Video - NBC.com

xNFP - This comedian begins by relating things from their personal experiences and then offers "insights" as the story progresses.
Kathy Griffin: YouTube - Kathy Griffin - Straight To Hell (1/5)

xSFJ - The humor from this comedian comes from irritations that arise out of close relationships.
Kevin Meany: YouTube - Golden Age Stand-up 32
YouTube - Kevin Meaney - Big Pants People

xNFJ - The comedian starts from their unique perspective and then shows how it gets them into trouble in their relationships.
Larry David: YouTube - Larry David's Marriage is Over - Curb Your Enthusiasm

So this is my take on type and comedians. What do the rest of you think? Do you see any other ways that type relates to comedy and humor?
That's really interesting and insightful Laser. I like that you really considered all the functions. :)

I have a question for you. Do you think that the primary/auxilary functions of audience directly corrosponds to the comedian's? For example, does a Se comedian attract a primarily Se audience? Or do you think people prefer comedy that's complimentary, if not completely opposing, to their dominant/auxilary functions? In other words, its a little different to their experience and therefore is more novel and entertaining. For example, I'm quite fond of Ti style humour despite being Fi dominant. What do you think?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
That's really interesting and insightful Laser. I like that you really considered all the functions. :)

I have a question for you. Do you think that the primary/auxilary functions of audience directly corrosponds to the comedian's? For example, does a Se comedian attract a primarily Se audience? Or do you think people prefer comedy that's complimentary, if not completely opposing, to their dominant/auxilary functions? In other words, its a little different to their experience and therefore is more novel and entertaining. For example, I'm quite fond of Ti style humour despite being Fi dominant. What do you think?

I have no idea how a person's type affects what type of comedy they like to listen to. :huh: :)

However I find typing comedians interesting because if we assume the comedian is the one making the jokes, then we have insight into how their mind works. The jokes are thoughts that they've carefully created, so we can see how their mind puts things together. That is my reasoning behind all of this.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thing is I rarely find american humour funny!

Watch mock the week if you want brittish humour!
Russel Howard is on it and so is the legendary Franky Boyle!
I do prefer British humour in general but do enjoy some American comedy. Its very dependant on the individual. I find some American humour to be a little too straight-forward. I wonder if you could put a dominant function label on each country's style of humour (and maybe for other nations)? I couldn't say.

All I know is that NZ humour in general is based more on dead pan, word play and silliness used to make observations.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I usually like absurd, silly, and ironic sorts of things in my personal humor. Seems Ni-Se enough.