User Tag List

12 Last

Default MBTI and Jungian functions

What I don't understand: According to the functions ENFP is most similar to INFP, ESTJ, and ISTJ, and most different from ENFJ. That really doesn't make sense from a MBTI point of view.

bump

Which is because order of function in types is nonsense/illogical as an idea.

On the other hand the entire function thing is fishy. I think that MBTI would actually be more valid theory if you just keep it at 4 letters.

MBTI
    I

Eh, I don't know, I think Jungian functions and their order are pretty accurate for each type. I have found this true for a few people (knowing their types), but none more clearly than for myself.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by hommefatal View Post
    What I don't understand: According to the functions ENFP is most similar to INFP, ESTJ, and ISTJ, and most different from ENFJ. That really doesn't make sense from a MBTI point of view.
    If you consider function order...

ENFP: Ne, Fi, Te, Si
    INFP: Fi, Ne, Si, Te
    ESTJ: Te, Si, Ne, Fi
    ISTJ: Si, Te, Fi, Ne

... ENFP should be closest to INFP. Depending on where you place the remaining four functions, you could argue that ISTJ is the exact opposite of ENFP.

But really...

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one
    Which is because order of function in types is nonsense/illogical as an idea.

On the other hand the entire function thing is fishy. I think that MBTI would actually be more valid theory if you just keep it at 4 letters.
    ... I think this makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    Eh, I don't know, I think Jungian functions and their order are pretty accurate for each type. I have found this true for a few people (knowing their types), but none more clearly than for myself.
    Considering that there are eight cognitive functions, there are actually fifty-six possible combinations of dominant and auxiliary functions. The MBTI gets pretentious when it claims that only sixteen of these actually exist, and, further, when it proceeds to lay out the remaining function order for these types for a total of at least four functions. That is, it says that out of 1,680 possible combinations of dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, and inferior functions, only sixteen exist.

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    The MBTI gets pretentious when it claims that only sixteen of these actually exist, and, further, when it proceeds to lay out the remaining function order for these types for a total of at least four functions. That is, it says that out of 1,680 possible combinations of dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, and inferior functions, only sixteen exist.
    Worse yet, there are a hell of a lot of people who actually believe it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by hommefatal View Post
    MBTI drew influence Jung but the two are incompatible in a lot of ways.

There are a lot of various typology ideologies running around and none of them really makes perfect sense on its own.

The best you can do is study the different ones and try to come to a personal conclusion about what makes the most sense to you.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

garbage

There's a simple way to resolve that issue.

Taken from the standpoint that Ne and Ni are two sides of the same coin, as are every other extroverted/introverted function pair, ENFP is closer to ENFJ than ISTJ, but closer still to INFP.

It would make sense to look at functions in that way, anyway; to claim otherwise would also necessitate that Ne and Ni are just as different as, say, Ne and Ti are.

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    Considering that there are eight cognitive functions, there are actually fifty-six possible combinations of dominant and auxiliary functions. The MBTI gets pretentious when it claims that only sixteen of these actually exist, and, further, when it proceeds to lay out the remaining function order for these types for a total of at least four functions. That is, it says that out of 1,680 possible combinations of dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, and inferior functions, only sixteen exist.
    Jung restricted function order in some ways as well; namely, something along the lines that one dominant in an extroverted function likely relies upon introverted functions in inferior positions. He didn't delve into the level of detail specified by MBTI, however.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    There are a lot of various typology ideologies running around and none of them really makes perfect sense on its own.

The best you can do is study the different ones and try to come to a personal conclusion about what makes the most sense to you.
    Yeah. This.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

It always makes me feel so good when Jeffster supports my posts.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?