User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Control

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Control

I've been noticing the trends recently of MBTI types and their feelings on control. (Keep in mind that this is from a relatively small sample). It seems to me that types such as INTJ tend to be more oriented towards controlling/leading/etc., whereas ExFPs tend to be pretty much against being controlled and the control of others (social anarchists), and types like ISTJ tend to lean more towards being controlled.

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of this, it suits the natural order, but I'm curious what your experiences are with this...or if you just think I'm full of shit.

Oh yeah, and I was motivated to write this post while browsing some random INFJ thread (it was like two seconds ago and I already forgot what it was). All the INFJs I know are very controlling (see: like to control, but suck at it), and they would make it very overt, like..."I'm your master." No joke. Needless to say, I derived much pleasure from putting them in their place via subtle mental manipulation.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ

ISFJ-That's the tradition, and you'll hurt my feelings if you don't do it. So do it.

ENFJ-I've read the Bible more than you, and I know more about relationships, so you have to listen to me.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

i think it goes deeper than control; why do we feel motivated like we do with control? it's probably about our deeper insecurities.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

My questions are this:

Have you ever actually tried to control an ISTJ? 'Cause it ain't always that much fun, nor is it easy.

And why would anyone want to control others when they could have and give complete autonomy? Sounds more worthwhile to me.

And... how are you sure you're manipulating them, and they're not just letting you think you are to make you go away?

Well, I haven't noticed any particular patterns of types and the desire to control.

But here are some aspects of theory I read that might be relevant.

1. Es initiate interactions, while Is respond to initiations.
    2. There are directive types and informative types. Directive types are the STPs, STJs, NFJs, and NTJs. Informative Types are SFPs, SFJs, NFPs, and NTPs.
    3. Combining the first two gives us "Interaction Styles".
      Directive Extroverts like interactions where they are "In Charge".
      Informative Extroverts like interactions where they "Get Things Going".
      Directive Introverts like interactions where they "Chart the Course".
      Informative Introverts like interactions where they are "Behind the Scenes".
    4. SPs and NTs prefer peer relationships(supposedly), while SJs and NFs prefer "1-up-1-down" relationships(supposedly). This is one I have a hard time clarifying, but I think it has to do with coach-mentor vs. peers in a club from an NF perspective (even if they switch roles sometimes).
    5. SPs and NFs prefer to focus on peoples motives, while SJs and NTs prefer to focus on structure and policy.
    6. Js like order and closure. Ps like open options and flexibility.

Combining all that together, I made this list regarding control.

• ESTPs like to be In Charge of motivating and directing peers in flexible situations they initiate.
    • ESTJs like to be In Charge of structuring and directing subordinates and superiors in ordered situations they initiate.
    • ENFJs like to be In Charge of motivating and directing subordinates and superiors in ordered situations they initiate.
    • ENTJs like to be In Charge of structuring and directing peers in ordered situations they initiate.
    • ESFPs like to Get Things Going by motivating and informing peers in flexible situations they initiate.
    • ESFJs like to Get Things Going by structuring subordinates and informing superiors in ordered situations they initiate.
    • ENFPs like to Get Things Going by motivating subordinates and informing superiors in flexible situations they initiate.
    • ENTPs like to Get Things Going by structuring and informing peers in flexible situations they initiate.
    • ISTPs like to respond to flexible situations by Charting the Course with motivating plans for their peers.
    • ISTJs like to respond to ordered situations by Charting the Course with structured plans for subordinates and superiors.
    • INFJs like to respond to ordered situations by Charting the Course with motivating plans for subordinates and superiors.
    • INTJs like to respond to ordered situations by Charting the Course with structured plans for their peers.
    • ISFPs like to respond to flexible situations, Behind the Scenes, by providing motivating information to their peers.
    • ISFJs like to respond to ordered situations, Behind the Scenes, by providing structured information to their superiors and subordinates.
    • INFPs like to respond to flexible situations, Behind the Scenes, by providing motivating information to their superiors and subordinates.
    • INTPs like to respond to flexible situations, Behind the Scenes, by providing structured information to their peers.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INXP

Speaking of being controlling. . . .

Ygolo, would you please go check your blog. I don't often give advice, because I don't often know what I'm talking about in regards to relationships, but I did put a lot of thought into my post to you. Hopefully you'll find it of some use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    ENTJs like to be In Charge of structuring and directing peers in ordered situations they initiate.
    I have been doing this nonstop since March -- especially in my free time, no less. In regards to MBTI, sometimes I wonder.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    It seems to me that types such as INTJ tend to be more oriented towards controlling/leading/etc.,
    If you want something done right...

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I try to control myself and my atmosphere, and sometimes I need to control/influence other people a little to achieve that. I think everyone does this in some ways, and I feel justified in doing so. I don't think it's any worse that what other people do.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I try to control myself and my atmosphere, and sometimes I need to control/influence other people a little to achieve that. I think everyone does this in some ways, and I feel justified in doing so. I don't think it's any worse that what other people do.
    As I said, small sample size. I'm perfectly cool with the idea that the two INFJs I know are both suffering some form of mental problem. and that's not a joke
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume