• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Control

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've been noticing the trends recently of MBTI types and their feelings on control. (Keep in mind that this is from a relatively small sample). It seems to me that types such as INTJ tend to be more oriented towards controlling/leading/etc., whereas ExFPs tend to be pretty much against being controlled and the control of others (social anarchists), and types like ISTJ tend to lean more towards being controlled.

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of this, it suits the natural order, but I'm curious what your experiences are with this...or if you just think I'm full of shit. :coffee:

Oh yeah, and I was motivated to write this post while browsing some random INFJ thread (it was like two seconds ago and I already forgot what it was). All the INFJs I know are very controlling (see: like to control, but suck at it), and they would make it very overt, like..."I'm your master." No joke. Needless to say, I derived much pleasure from putting them in their place via subtle mental manipulation.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
ISFJ-That's the tradition, and you'll hurt my feelings if you don't do it. So do it.

ENFJ-I've read the Bible more than you, and I know more about relationships, so you have to listen to me. :cry:

Usehername

On a mission
i think it goes deeper than control; why do we feel motivated like we do with control? it's probably about our deeper insecurities.

InFlux

My questions are this:

Have you ever actually tried to control an ISTJ? 'Cause it ain't always that much fun, nor is it easy.

And why would anyone want to control others when they could have and give complete autonomy? Sounds more worthwhile to me.

And... how are you sure you're manipulating them, and they're not just letting you think you are to make you go away? ;)

ygolo

My termites win
Well, I haven't noticed any particular patterns of types and the desire to control.

But here are some aspects of theory I read that might be relevant.

1. Es initiate interactions, while Is respond to initiations.
  2. There are directive types and informative types. Directive types are the STPs, STJs, NFJs, and NTJs. Informative Types are SFPs, SFJs, NFPs, and NTPs.
  3. Combining the first two gives us "Interaction Styles".
    Directive Extroverts like interactions where they are "In Charge".
    Informative Extroverts like interactions where they "Get Things Going".
    Directive Introverts like interactions where they "Chart the Course".
    Informative Introverts like interactions where they are "Behind the Scenes".
  4. SPs and NTs prefer peer relationships(supposedly), while SJs and NFs prefer "1-up-1-down" relationships(supposedly). This is one I have a hard time clarifying, but I think it has to do with coach-mentor vs. peers in a club from an NF perspective (even if they switch roles sometimes).
  5. SPs and NFs prefer to focus on peoples motives, while SJs and NTs prefer to focus on structure and policy.
  6. Js like order and closure. Ps like open options and flexibility.

Combining all that together, I made this list regarding control.

• ESTPs like to be In Charge of motivating and directing peers in flexible situations they initiate.
  • ESTJs like to be In Charge of structuring and directing subordinates and superiors in ordered situations they initiate.
  • ENFJs like to be In Charge of motivating and directing subordinates and superiors in ordered situations they initiate.
  • ENTJs like to be In Charge of structuring and directing peers in ordered situations they initiate.
  • ESFPs like to Get Things Going by motivating and informing peers in flexible situations they initiate.
  • ESFJs like to Get Things Going by structuring subordinates and informing superiors in ordered situations they initiate.
  • ENFPs like to Get Things Going by motivating subordinates and informing superiors in flexible situations they initiate.
  • ENTPs like to Get Things Going by structuring and informing peers in flexible situations they initiate.
  • ISTPs like to respond to flexible situations by Charting the Course with motivating plans for their peers.
  • ISTJs like to respond to ordered situations by Charting the Course with structured plans for subordinates and superiors.
  • INFJs like to respond to ordered situations by Charting the Course with motivating plans for subordinates and superiors.
  • INTJs like to respond to ordered situations by Charting the Course with structured plans for their peers.
  • ISFPs like to respond to flexible situations, Behind the Scenes, by providing motivating information to their peers.
  • ISFJs like to respond to ordered situations, Behind the Scenes, by providing structured information to their superiors and subordinates.
  • INFPs like to respond to flexible situations, Behind the Scenes, by providing motivating information to their superiors and subordinates.
  • INTPs like to respond to flexible situations, Behind the Scenes, by providing structured information to their peers.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
Speaking of being controlling. . . . :devil:

Ygolo, would you please go check your blog. I don't often give advice, because I don't often know what I'm talking about in regards to relationships, but I did put a lot of thought into my post to you. Hopefully you'll find it of some use.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
ENTJs like to be In Charge of structuring and directing peers in ordered situations they initiate.
I have been doing this nonstop since March -- especially in my free time, no less. In regards to MBTI, sometimes I wonder.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I try to control myself and my atmosphere, and sometimes I need to control/influence other people a little to achieve that. I think everyone does this in some ways, and I feel justified in doing so. I don't think it's any worse that what other people do.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I try to control myself and my atmosphere, and sometimes I need to control/influence other people a little to achieve that. I think everyone does this in some ways, and I feel justified in doing so. I don't think it's any worse that what other people do.

As I said, small sample size. I'm perfectly cool with the idea that the two INFJs I know are both suffering some form of mental problem. and that's not a joke

ygolo

My termites win
I have been doing this nonstop since March -- especially in my free time, no less. In regards to MBTI, sometimes I wonder.

I decided to change the wording for the introverts so that is seems more like they are in control.

• ESTPs like to be In Charge of motivating and directing peers in flexible situations they initiate.
  • ESTJs like to be In Charge of structuring and directing subordinates and superiors in ordered situations they initiate.
  • ENFJs like to be In Charge of motivating and directing subordinates and superiors in ordered situations they initiate.
  • ENTJs like to be In Charge of structuring and directing peers in ordered situations they initiate.
  • ESFPs like to Get Things Going by motivating and informing peers in flexible situations they initiate.
  • ESFJs like to Get Things Going by structuring subordinates and informing superiors in ordered situations they initiate.
  • ENFPs like to Get Things Going by motivating subordinates and informing superiors in flexible situations they initiate.
  • ENTPs like to Get Things Going by structuring and informing peers in flexible situations they initiate.
  • ISTPs like to Chart the Course with motivating plans for their peers in flexible situations they anticipate.
  • ISTJs like to Chart the Course with structured plans for subordinates and superiors in ordered situations they anticipate.
  • INFJs like Chart the Course with motivating plans for subordinates and superiors in ordered situations they anticipate.
  • INTJs like to Chart the Course with structured plans for their peers in ordered situations they anticipate.
  • ISFPs like to provide motivating information to their peers, Behind the Scenes, in flexible situations they want to integrate.
  • ISFJs like to provide structured information to their superiors and subordinates, Behind the Scenes, in ordered situations they want to integrate.
  • INFPs like to provide motivating information to their superiors and subordinates, Behind the Scenes, in flexible situations they want to integrate.
  • INTPs like to provide structured information to their peers, Behind the Scenes, in flexible situations they want to integrate.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been noticing the trends recently of MBTI types and their feelings on control. (Keep in mind that this is from a relatively small sample). It seems to me that types such as INTJ tend to be more oriented towards controlling/leading/etc., whereas ExFPs tend to be pretty much against being controlled and the control of others (social anarchists), and types like ISTJ tend to lean more towards being controlled.

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of this, it suits the natural order, but I'm curious what your experiences are with this...or if you just think I'm full of shit. :coffee:

Oh yeah, and I was motivated to write this post while browsing some random INFJ thread (it was like two seconds ago and I already forgot what it was). All the INFJs I know are very controlling (see: like to control, but suck at it), and they would make it very overt, like..."I'm your master." No joke. Needless to say, I derived much pleasure from putting them in their place via subtle mental manipulation.
Correct.
Here we find that the typology has got another continuum.

The continuum the MBTI does not differentiate at all.

Stong control equates strong drive = ESTJ.
Weak control equates weak drive = ESTJ.

One type?