failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Unfortunately, I haven't come across one.

I, too, would want to say that both my sensing functions are my weakest; certainly the addition of both sensing functions is weaker than the addition of any other of the four. But it seems to me very unlikely that Si and Se would be 7th and 8th (even though I always score 7th and 8th on that test). My Fi and Te are probably much less used than my Se.
    my si and se are my 7th and 8th, and that's using my new functions book and testing a couple times.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I am supposed to be Fi, Ne, Si, Te, but I score Fi, Ne, Ti, Ni.
    Tertiary and inferior functions are usually even worse than the four so-called "middle functions" that aren't included in your function order (for INFP, these would be Fe, Ni, Se and Ti.)

For instance, as an ENTP mine are supposed to go Ne, Ti, Fe, Si, but my full functional strength breakdown is something like:

Ne, Ti, Fi, Te, Ni, Se, Fe, Si.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

These are my results from my most recent test:

- Ti - 18

- Ne - 15

- Fi - 9

- Te - 7

- Ni - 7

- Si - 5

- Fe - 3

- Se - 3

And this is the order from the last one I took:

Ti - Ne - Te - Fi - Si - Ni - Se - Fe

And here are two older ones:

Ti - Ne - Ni -Te - Fi - Si - Se - Fe

Ne - Ti - Ni - Fi - Te - Se -Si - Fe

So... I think it would be a safe guess to say that my weakest functions are Se and Fe. It makes sense, because I rarely "trust [my] instincts and take action relevant to the moment and current context," or "connect with people by sharing values and taking on their needs as [mine]."

Some other interesting patterns here... it almost looks like I'm turning into an INFP. At this rate, I'll be in the mistyped member's thread in no time

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Just wondering (if you subscribe to function orders) what role Si plays for INFPs? Combined with Fi and Ne I imagine it would emerge as a form of nostalgia, remembering how you felt about events and what they meant to you rather than the actual concrete details of the events?
    Didn't see anyone replying to this, so I will.
    Yes, that's exactly how it is for me at least.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Tertiary and inferior functions are usually even worse than the four so-called "middle functions" that aren't included in your function order (for INFP, these would be Fe, Ni, Se and Ti.)

For instance, as an ENTP mine are supposed to go Ne, Ti, Fe, Si, but my full functional strength breakdown is something like:

That sort of makes sense. You have reasons to dig into similar functions. Thinking of myself as an ISTJ, I'm supposed to be Si Te Fi Ne. I've lived with Si and Te, but Fi and Ne go against Si and Te completely.

For instance, Ni, Fi and Ti, I'd have reasons to justify digging into them. They're introverted functions, if I were trying to defend myself from extraversion, I would use Te as a barrier, and attempt to dig into Ni, Fi and Ti as backups, Ni and Ti more so as Fi goes against the judgment of Te so strongly.

There's also reasoning to dig into Ti. Te gives me general reasoning that my life is based around objective competency and ability to comprehend things. So, Ti seems logical as something to attempt to do to maintain a level of competency required by Te. It's the same with Se and Ne. It comes back to Te expecting me to have a level of competency. Other people are capable of Se and Ne, so why can't I do it?

Te keep me from developing Fi and Fe, though, as it sees feeling as unnecessary unless required.

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post

Te keep me from developing Fi and Fe, though, as it sees feeling as unnecessary unless required.
    I can see something very similar/identical in myself. Te simply takes all the space that is reserved for feelings.

MBTI
    I

For me: Si > Te > Fi > Ti > Se > Ni > Ne > Fe

Fe is consistently my lowest function. Ne is also very low down the list. I have much better Ni than Ne. I wish I had more interesting leading functions, Si and Te are very boring. Fi is cool though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post

Ah, interesting. Well, that makes some sense.
    I thought they were "shadow functions" which were exaggerated and brought out during stress....
    I would think that after the first two or three functions, it's going to vary a lot between individuals though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    That sort of makes sense. You have reasons to dig into similar functions. Thinking of myself as an ISTJ, I'm supposed to be Si Te Fi Ne. I've lived with Si and Te, but Fi and Ne go against Si and Te completely.

For instance, Ni, Fi and Ti, I'd have reasons to justify digging into them. They're introverted functions, if I were trying to defend myself from extraversion, I would use Te as a barrier, and attempt to dig into Ni, Fi and Ti as backups, Ni and Ti more so as Fi goes against the judgment of Te so strongly.

There's also reasoning to dig into Ti. Te gives me general reasoning that my life is based around objective competency and ability to comprehend things. So, Ti seems logical as something to attempt to do to maintain a level of competency required by Te. It's the same with Se and Ne. It comes back to Te expecting me to have a level of competency. Other people are capable of Se and Ne, so why can't I do it?

Yes, you can learn the other four functions.

It seems to me that they simply don't show any significant patterns in terms of natural talent and are based largely on how much time the person has chosen to put into studying/developing them.

Of course, maybe when we use the four non-mapped functions for our type, we're just faking them through the lens of our four mapped ones. I really have no idea; this is where function theory starts to get a little zany.

In any event, mine seem to work like this:

Ni - Naturally, I'm not usually attuned to it a whole lot. I've had to do a lot of reading and direct study of NJs to even understand what natural Ni looks like and the things it tries to do. Suffice it to say, I'm starting to get pretty decent at it, but it's all been a matter of practice.

Te - Once again, not something I normally think about. My logical judging process tends to happen internally, so I have to make conscious effort to direct that outwardly and make an effort to apply my thoughts to objectively measurable goals. Gradually figuring it out the more I practice it, and watching NTJs for pointers.

Fi - I feel lucky with this one because I was raised by extremely morally conscientious parents--an ESFJ who learned strong traditional values from a young age, and an INTJ who has always had remarkably good Fi as long as I've known him. Maybe he didn't when he was younger, but I've always told people that INTJ dad is the most ethical person I know, and I still believe that. My Fi is especially trained for an ENTP, and I think that comes almost entirely from the Fi-heavy upbringing that my parents gave me.

Se - Ugh. This one has been a trip. My driving record is the subject of endless hilarity among my family. I never notice what's going on around me and navigating the physical world is a constant chore. Through years of practice and focus, I've managed to become a competent driver, and I use Se well in certain other particular learned areas--but I really don't have any natural talent for it. I don't read body language or the physical energy of the room much at all. It's definitely pretty close to Fe and Si in terms of how much I have to concentrate to use it, most times.

I also tend to indulge in Se in the form of partying when I've become frustrated with my current pet project and need a break from all the thinking and intuiting. It can be exhausting at times.

So yeah, it seems like the middle functions are mostly just learned skills that you can decide consciously to tap into, but probably aren't especially great or especially bad at naturally.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mpn View Post
    Se- Is this what sportscasters use? "Chelios to Kosten, Kosten on the red line, passes to McKinnis, McKinnis behind the net..." It's just so fast, I can't track it, and end up only getting the "feeling" of the game. In "Lectures on Typology", Von Franz says something about Ne requiring the user to be constantly kind of spaced out so they can pick up on unconscious perceptions. I have had lucid moments where I felt I might've experienced fluent Se -- suddenly a tree comes into focus and feels very real to me. But generally I do feel like I'm picking up on imagery or just, weird random shit. Like Shaquille O'Neal just pops up out of nowhere. I think Ne has something to do with archetypes? If I've picked up those, I didn't/don't know it.

My parents are ISTP and ISFP, so I think some clashes with them might illustrate Se vs. Si. They're messy, for one thing. I like to stabilize my environment, like having the pots and pans in the kitchen in the same place. Whereas they really seem to not mind just running with however it is. I understand Si as navigating an internal image whereas Se interacts directly with the environment.

Is all this really what the functions are about? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Other than that:
    Ni- The function I most don't "get".
    Fi- I "get" Fi, but don't use it.
    A lot of Buddhist mindfulness meditation involves Se, experiencing sensory input purely as it is without making judgments about it.
    Autistic INFP