User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Famous writers' types

This is a thread devoted to your opinions on the probable types of authors whose books you have read. This will be easiest to do with philosophers or those with autobiographies. For the others, we will just have to extrapolate from their style. Here are some authors and philosophers whose work I have read recently and the types that have come into my mind. Correct me if you have other opinions on these and please offer your own.

Mark Twain - ENTP
    Machiavelli - ENTP
    Nietzsche - INTJ
    Ayn Rand - INTJ
    Kant - INTP
    Carl Jung - INTJ (?)
    Sylvia Plath - INFJ
    Franz Kafka - INTP (?)
    Sigmund Freud - INFJ
    Kurt Vonnegut - INFJ
    Socrates - INTP
    Poe - INFP
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

On a first brief glance:

Machiavelli and Kafka *kafka more definitely* both strike me as INTP.

Poe's tendency to favour an intellectual approach *particularly his own* doesn't strike me as typically INFP, nor does his focus on sensory experience and situation above character, though INFP remains a possibility. I'd go with INTP or INxP at a guess. Regardless, he does seem to have a particularly strong Si in his vivid depiction of sensory experience. This goes for some extent for Kafka too.

Jung seems very INFJ. He's certainly analytical, but I seem to remember quite a few appeals to emotion over reason.

I'd slightly favour ENFJ for Freud, but I don't knpw enough to make that a strong statement. His intuitive bias seems to have been quite strong.

And now a contribution of my own: Will Shakespeare = ENFP. Heretical I know
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post

Jung seems very INFJ. He's certainly analytical, but I seem to remember quite a few appeals to emotion over reason.

I'd slightly favour ENFJ for Freud, but I don't knpw enough to make that a strong statement. His intuitive bias seems to have been quite strong.

And now a contribution of my own: Will Shakespeare = ENFP. Heretical I know ;)

Yeah, Jung I was going to type INxJ but I tried to give everyone a concrete type. You might be right about Machiavelli. All I read was The Prince, and it was very systematic, but it seemed like a brief note on many categories (Ne dominance over Ti) and contained a lot of "ways to gain power" and other typical ENTP junk.

Dang, you think that Billy Shakenbake was an ENFP? I have only read a little, and when I read it I wasn't old enough or exposed to enough literature to really appreciate it. I would guess INFP, if only because of the massive amount of alone time that I imagine going into his work.

Lots of people think Shakespeare was actually a pen name for a collective group of writers. Do you know anything about this?

Please elaborate on your thoughts for thinking he is an ENFP.

Somewhere I read that Tolstoy was an ENFP. When 125 of the worlds leading authors were each asked to compile a list of the 10 greatest books, the average put two of Tolstoys works in the list (#1 Anna Karenina, #4 War and Peace). He was the only author who appeared twice. It would seem unusual to me for the worlds two best writers (according to popular opinion, of course) to be extroverted, but if I had to choose what extroverted type they would be based on what I know of the types, I would guess ENFP because ENFPs appear to possess very scattered talents.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

Sniffles

I think there's already a thread for this:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-list-iii.html

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I agree Poe was probably an INFP. I think that F.Scott Fitzgerald was probably an ISFP.
    I wonder about Evelyn Waugh,_ NTJ...maybe _STJ. I think Agatha Christie was probably an INFJ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think Poe is INTP also. Of course, it could be the drugs that made him so weird, haha.

Shakespeare....I've always been surprised to see him as INFP, but we do supposedly have great rhythm and a talent for wordplay.

I would put Tolstoy down as INFP also. In Anna Karenina, Levin is often said to be Tolstoy's voice, and he is soooo INFP. I just don't see an extrovert...
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i see more infp for tolstoy than infj as well.

vonnegut seems up in the air to me between infj and intp. i lean towards intp.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I just saw a BBC interview of Jung and he pretty much described himself as dominant Ti, talking about how his preferences developed over time. So INTP.

Freud...I think Jung considered him ENTJ...somewhere in all his writings there's something about it.

For someone completely different...
    Laura Ingalls Wilder ISFJ. You have enough info to make cheese yourself after reading Little House on the Prairie
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    I just saw a BBC interview of Jung and he pretty much described himself as dominant Ti, talking about how his preferences developed over time. So INTP.
    link/name of programme?

Freud...I think Jung considered him ENTJ...somewhere in all his writings there's something about it.
    Not likely. Since the 4 letter designation didn't exist yet . He might have thought him an 'Extraverted Thinking' type.

I've seen him typed ENTP. Works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'll email the panel facilitator who used the film to get the reference.

You got me on the 4-letter code. Jung (to paraphrase) said "Well I was using thinking at a very early age. And the imagination..." the way he ended the interview made it sound like he could have pictured himself as Ti or Ne but he started with this clear reference to Ti....
    edcoaching