• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In Cyberspace no one can hear you scream.

wolfy

awsm
I've noticed that some people here mention a lack of feedback. A strange feeling that people are not listening to what they say. I've felt the same thing, even though I know objectively it is not true.
I've only heard introverts talk about it, different types of introverts. I just thought it was interesting. I wonder what causes it and why it seems to be introverts who mention it? You'd think introverts would have the least need for feedback.

To me personally, it reminds me of the time I went to an Eric Clapton concert and I was sure I was controlling the clapping. Nobody clapped if I didn't.

alien-poster.jpg

I heard they're going to make a new one.

Ouroboros

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but sometimes after I say something, I feel like the other person or people I'm talking to dismiss me and continue as though I didn't contribute to the conversation. This doesn't happen with people who know me well, but it's so annoying when it does happen. I didn't know other introverts experienced that. Maybe we don't say as much, so when we do say something, we think it should mean something? That doesn't sound right or close, just a thought I'm throwing out there. It's more like...if I'm listening to someone else speak, I expect for them to listen to me. Respect, I think. It's a problem I've had when talking to both introverts and extroverts.

A new Alien?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I only feel that way on a bad day, most of the time I am confident that I have my audience captivated, well IRL anyway, online it's different. Online it sometimes feels like there isn't enough feedback, but IRL I sort of dominate the conversations alot so I get plenty of feedback.

Mole

Permabanned
A new Alien?

The meaning of any communication is its response.

This is true for any conversation, but it is not true for writing.

For writing presupposes an author.

And an author creates their own meaning.

But in case you haven't heard, not only did God die, but the author is also dead.

And we are left alone with only ourselves for company.

We are like porpoises in the deep ocean. We can't read or write but we communicate by sound, or in our case here, by electricity.

We send out waves of overlapping sound or electrons. Sometimes they overlap and sometimes they interfere. And the interference creates an interference pattern we call a conversation.

But no conversation has an author. A conversation arises spontaneously.

Of course here they seek to herd the conversations into threads. This is because, not only do they lack spontaneity, but also because no one has told them the author is dead.

And they haven't yet realised that a conversation is self organizing and creates its own meaning.

A conversation moves forward on waves of sound, just as the universe moves forward on the Wave Function.

And just as space and time are an illusion of the Wave Function, so the author is an illusion of literacy.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It doesn't happen to I's alone ;)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Haha I always feel like that. No one listens to me. :(

am_i_evil666

Yeah, well it doesn't feel that good, but sometimes I also get the feeling that I am ignored. It's a bit disappointing, but that's just the way it is, and I think that probably my posts were read and acknowledged by other users, who didn't have anything to say to answer them. That's the way I see this thingy, if this is what you were talking about. And if you were not, eh, whatever.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, well it doesn't feel that good, but sometimes I also get the feeling that I am ignored. It's a bit disappointing, but that's just the way it is, and I think that probably my posts were read and acknowledged by other users, who didn't have anything to say to answer them. That's the way I see this thingy, if this is what you were talking about. And if you were not, eh, whatever.

I think that is what happens. But because there is no feedback you start to get the strange feeling you're talking to yourself.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8

i get this feeling as well. this is the first forum i have been on, so i am still getting used to how they work. but i guess i expected more back-and-forth conversation.

I think that is what happens. But because there is no feedback you start to get the strange feeling you're talking to yourself.

i feel more like i am talking to no one - to a big empty room - rather than to myself, but i know what you mean. it sometimes does not feel like i am engaing anyone, or that no one is engaging me.
do you think the size of the forum makes it difficult? do you think it is harder to get and give feedback when there are so many people in one thread?

the idea of a new alien movie is pretty exciting to me. i really liked the first two movies. the second movie was so different from the first, but to me it felt similar to the first, just sort of bigger in scope. if they could go back to the feeling of the first two movies, i would be very happy.

wolfy

awsm
i get this feeling as well. this is the first forum i have been on, so i am still getting used to how they work. but i guess i expected more back-and-forth conversation.

i feel more like i am talking to no one - to a big empty room - rather than to myself, but i know what you mean. it sometimes does not feel like i am engaing anyone, or that no one is engaging me.
do you think the size of the forum makes it difficult? do you think it is harder to get and give feedback when there are so many people in one thread?

the idea of a new alien movie is pretty exciting to me. i really liked the first two movies. the second movie was so different from the first, but to me it felt similar to the first, just sort of bigger in scope. if they could go back to the feeling of the first two movies, i would be very happy.

I get the feeling of talking to a big room also. This is the first forum I have been on too. There are times when there is back and forth conversation but due I guess, to time zones and lifestyles that doesn't happen so often.

Unless someone asks a question or you have something to say it's hard to justify giving feedback in a thread. So many people in a thread does make it difficult I guess.

All ways of giving feedback need to have some meaning attached to them on a forum. That is probably the root of it. You can't nod your head. :yes:

I hope they go back to the feel of the first two movies. Jaws on a spaceship.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel like that here but not IRL. Lack of interaction, I guess. It feels like talking in a huge room, but not an empty one - directing conversation "generally" towards a crowd of people busily engaged in their own specific conversations, and that's why a lot of the time I don't bother.

wolfy

awsm
I feel like that here but not IRL. Lack of interaction, I guess. It feels like talking in a huge room, but not an empty one - directing conversation "generally" towards a crowd of people busily engaged in their own specific conversations, and that's why a lot of the time I don't bother.

I don't get it in real life either.

In Japan they use the example of two people smacking an anvil as an example of a good conversation. Timing is important. I learnt somewhere that the best way to kill a conversation is to mess with the timing. I use it in my work sometimes, if the conversation goes on a little long I mess with the timing and the conversation usually seems to come to an end pretty quick.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8

yes, i agree, i often don't bother when it seems like a group here is already well established and engaged in their own conversations. i like to think that if i was engaged in conversation here on the forum, and somebody joined in, that i would engage them. but i don't know?

i guess maybe it is alright that people splinter into their own groups and conversations.
maybe it is just important to cultivate your own conversations that you can participate in?

In Japan they use the example of two people smacking an anvil as an example of a good conversation. Timing is important. I learnt somewhere that the best way to kill a conversation is to mess with the timing. I use it in my work sometimes, if the conversation goes on a little long I mess with the timing and the conversation usually seems to come to an end pretty quick.

that's interesting, because timing is pretty much nonexistant on a forum, right? i mean, how do you control timing on a forum?