• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive Function Idea

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
Recently, I was considering the various ways in which cognitive functions interact, when I realized that cognitive functions cannot truly operate when isolated from another, complimentary function.

For instance, a isolated Judging function is useless, as it lacks information to process; similarly, an isolated Perceiving function is equally useless, as the information that it acquires cannot be understood, or utilized in any way.

So, I thought, instead of listing functions in a way that makes each seem like a separate entity, it would be better to list them according to the interconnections they form.

Example:

The regular cognitive function list for the INTP is Ti-Ne-Si-Fe. However, if we were to map the interconnections, the cognitive list would be...

Dominant - TiNe (Ne acquires information for Ti to process)

Auxiliary - TiSi (Si acquires data to be reviewed by Ti)

Tertiary - NeFe (Fe provides an acceptable social atmosphere within which Ne may operate)

Inferior - SiFe (Si acquires data for Fe to apply to the external world)

---------

In this fashion, a new level of understanding of the cognitive functions may be acquired.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
interesting way of looking at it, i like it :) makes more sense on understanding the process of each type. how do you think our least used functions would work, the other four...

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
Well, if we assume that the "shadow function concept" is correct, then there may be subtle interconnections, such as TiNi, NeTe, TiSe, etc.