User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Why Are INTJs Sometimes Confused As Extraverts?

This is true for me, and I've heard it mentioned multiple times. But I've never seen any good reasoning as to why they are sometimes perceived this way. I'm not shy at all and can be quite energetic and even loud around friends. I just really like alone time.

Ideas?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

It depends on the subject matter.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ

Many INTJs are very confident. Some people view all introverts as just shy. Some people might confuse that confidence with extroversion?

MBTI
    INTJ

When we are around our close friends, we may as well be extraverts. Otherwise, we are just good at faking it (assuming you have put any effort at all into it).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

I think, sometimes, confidence can be misconstrued as extroversion. INTJs probably the most confident INs (speaking in broad generalities).

I think the "Chart-the-Course" introverts (INTJ, INFJ, ISTP, ISTJ) are generally seen as more confident (because they're more directive) than the "Behind-the-Scenes" introverts (INTP, INFP, ISFP, ISFJ).

Again, basing this of my "book-based" intuition FWIW.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

INFJ's are sometimes confused for extraverts too.

INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world.
    INFJ Profile

It says here that it is a product of the Feeling function, but I think more specifically it has to do with how Ni interacts with Fe (or in the case of INTJ's how Ni interacts with Te). When an INTJ has a goal in mind I believe that it can really energize them to the point that it makes them appear to be extraverts. INFJ's are a bit different in that I think their "extraversion" shows whenever they are in a social situation where they feel comfortable. There may be some crossover between the two types as well since they are so similar.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

I think the reason for INTJs often being perceived as extroverts is that what the world around them gets to see is plain old Te. The aggressiveness and the cynical sense of humor which can go along with it, may seem like extroversion to those more reserved. In addition to that, some INTJs have been known to have a certain tendency to give orders to the folks around them...

The Ni part mostly happens in solitude, so people do not notice much about it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    INFJ's are sometimes confused for extraverts too.

INFJ Profile

It says here that it is a product of the Feeling function, but I think more specifically it has to do with how Ni interacts with Fe (or in the case of INTJ's how Ni interacts with Te). When an INTJ has a goal in mind I believe that it can really energize them to the point that it makes them appear to be extraverts. INFJ's are a bit different in that I think their "extraversion" shows whenever they are in a social situation where they feel comfortable. There may be some crossover between the two types as well since they are so similar.
    That's a good point. I do that a lot. And I'm not shy in recruiting help, either.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    This is true for me, and I've heard it mentioned multiple times. But I've never seen any good reasoning as to why they are sometimes perceived this way. I'm not shy at all and can be quite energetic and even loud around friends. I just really like alone time.

Ideas?
    I think it's a fallacy to equate energy and, particularly, loudness with extraversion.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTJ

I agree, but it isn't entirely bad to use it to measure the appearance of extraversion.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume