User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Typing others

  1. #1
    Senior Member wrldisquiethere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Posts
    233

    Default Typing others

    I read on these forums where so many people know what type all of their friends and family members are. I can only assume that this is due to the fact that you type them yourselves more often than they have taken a test and shared the results with you. So, I just want to know...

    How in the cow do you do this? Seriously. I have only tried to type a few people in my whole life (one of which was mistyped). Sometimes if a friend is talking or something, I'll think to myself, "She has to be an NF" or something, but I've never just stopped to figure out what all of my friends are. If I did, I wouldn't even know where to start.

    Do you have some kind of method for typing other people? Do you know of ways to speed read them? How do you determine what you think other people are?
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

    "I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

  2. #2
    Senior Member VagrantFarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    At best, it's just informed guessing. For example, I think that my Dad is an ISTJ because he likes to be alone, he's an obsessive neat-freak, he's a no-nonsense hard-worker etc. You just have to play "join the dots" with all the little details that make up a person. Try to familiarise yourself with the 8 functions and see if you can identify them in people's behaviour.

  3. #3
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    To me, it's pretty much subjective. It's kind of like classifying someone as "like me" and "not like me" in a few categories; that is, the dichotomies, and dealing with them on a personal level.

    As an example, I classify my sister as EsFJ (which means "Definitely E, F, and J, and probably S"). however, she tested as INFJ, and.. really, there's no way she's an introvert. So I still think of her as EsFJ, because she's kind of like other ESFJs I know but with "less S" than my ISFJ mother. My perception of another's type can change as my own definitions change or if I see more traits in that other person, but this is one instance where it has not.. yet.

    But since I treat it subjectively, I don't exactly impose my own view of someone's type as some objective measure, nor do I use it to prejudge them. My own perception of my own type (see also: just yesterday) has changed enough that I know not to do that

    For me, then, it's not about giving them the "correct type" at all. It's just not useful for me to do so.

    Here's an old guide that describes my mental typing model, although my model has changed slightly since I posted it. It might be a good example of a mental process that one goes through when typing another, however.

    I don't know if I use my classifications of other people for anything useful anymore, since typology (and psychology in general) is so subconsciously ingrained in how I approach people on the whole anyway. But typewatching is fun anyway.

  4. #4
    Senior Member laughingebony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    236

    Default

    I'm not entirely consistent in how I type people, but my general method is as follows:

    1. Determine each of the four domains separately. This might help you.
    2. Compare the resulting type with descriptions I've read of that type.
    3. If it doesn't fit, change the one domain from step one about which I am most unsure.
    4. If it doesn't fit, try changing a different domain. Repeat as necessary.
    5. Consider type dynamics if I still can't figure it out.
    6. Go with my gut.
    Last edited by laughingebony; 06-20-2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Pronouns were inconsistent.

  5. #5
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    I'm only certain about my wife and I, anyone else I don't really see what's going on inside.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  6. #6
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    I rely solely on my gut feeling and I don't care if I'm right or not, the people are still the same.

  7. #7
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    haha. i know what you mean. i think a lot of people with a little bit of knowledge get sorta cavalier about typing others......but, having said that, i HAVE taken the test 'for' other people in my life. people i know very, very well (close friends or family members) who refuse to take the test themselves, for whatever reason!

    i have the hardest time with knowing if someone is an N/S. do y'all know what i'm talking about? i can figure out e/i. f/t (usually). and j/p (usually), but that n/s gets me every time.

    sometimes i have a conversation with an acquaintance and prod them with the pertinent questions (you learn these when you've taken the tests as many times as i have!) and to challenge myself i'll guess what someone is and then get them to test and see how close i was.

    i agree with greed too when he(?) said you can go by how like you they are. this works when they are particularly uncannily similar to you, or someone else you know the type of. over time the type descriptions get familiar and you can get them close to the 'right' category.

    but i always remember that i'm just guessing. because as mbti ethics states, it's really up to the individual person to identify their own type.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  8. #8
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    I'm not entirely consistent in how I type people, but my general method is as follows:

    1. Determine each of the four domains separately. This might help you.
    2. Compare the resulting type with descriptions I've read of that type.
    3. If it doesn't fit, change the one domain from step one about which you are most unsure.
    4. If it doesn't fit, try changing a different domain. Repeat as necessary.
    5. Consider type dynamics if I still can't figure it out.
    6. Go with my gut.
    Yeah, I do something like this also. I consider the individual functions and then see how that person stacks up against the whole profile. If it doesn't ring true, then I just keep tweaking it. At the end of the day, I go with instinct.

    There's a few people I cannot type with confidence. For instance, I've put my aunt down as an ENTJ, but I'm not fully sold on it. If you want to help me: clicky
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  9. #9
    Senior Member wrldisquiethere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    haha. i know what you mean. i think a lot of people with a little bit of knowledge get sorta cavalier about typing others......but, having said that, i HAVE taken the test 'for' other people in my life. people i know very, very well (close friends or family members) who refuse to take the test themselves, for whatever reason!

    i have the hardest time with knowing if someone is an N/S. do y'all know what i'm talking about? i can figure out e/i. f/t (usually). and j/p (usually), but that n/s gets me every time.

    sometimes i have a conversation with an acquaintance and prod them with the pertinent questions (you learn these when you've taken the tests as many times as i have!) and to challenge myself i'll guess what someone is and then get them to test and see how close i was.

    i agree with greed too when he(?) said you can go by how like you they are. this works when they are particularly uncannily similar to you, or someone else you know the type of. over time the type descriptions get familiar and you can get them close to the 'right' category.

    but i always remember that i'm just guessing. because as mbti ethics states, it's really up to the individual person to identify their own type.
    I typed my mom as an ISFP and as I read the differences between the letters to her and then the ISFP description she agreed. So that was successful.

    However. I also typed my boyfriend as an ISTP. There were a couple of those letters I was a little unsure of...I knew the T was a definite, but the others were a little iffy. The ISTP description seemed to fit him very well so I settled on that. But then when he took the test he come out an ENTJ. I was off on three letters! However, I did read that ENTJ's can sometimes appear as ISTP's because of the Se function, so that made me feel a little better, as did the fact that he tested very close on E/I, S/N, and J/P. Still! I was surprised that I was off as much as I was.

    It might come more easily to me if I knew more about the functions, but I know barely anything about those. I'm also not super familiar with the descriptions of each type--there are only a few I really know.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

    "I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

  10. #10
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrldisquiethere View Post
    I typed my mom as an ISFP and as I read the differences between the letters to her and then the ISFP description she agreed. So that was successful.

    However. I also typed my boyfriend as an ISTP. There were a couple of those letters I was a little unsure of...I knew the T was a definite, but the others were a little iffy. The ISTP description seemed to fit him very well so I settled on that. But then when he took the test he come out an ENTJ. I was off on three letters! However, I did read that ENTJ's can sometimes appear as ISTP's because of the Se function, so that made me feel a little better, as did the fact that he tested very close on E/I, S/N, and J/P. Still! I was surprised that I was off as much as I was.
    As with my experience outlined above, the tests aren't infallible, either. He could well be ISTP.

    But since he's so close on three of the dimensions, you weren't really "wrong" in any case, and it doesn't quite matter. Taken as sliding scales, it's like labeling -1 a positive number.. it's almost there, and it's certainly "more positive" than, say, -320.

    You were pretty sure that he was T but likely balanced on the other dimensions. So it seems that you had a pretty good idea of the kind of person he was. And that's what MBTI should be about.

Similar Threads

  1. Which type is the least accurate at typing others?
    By LaconicSesquipedalia in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 09:17 PM
  2. When any type other than INFJ doorslams you/cuts you out of their life
    By SilkRoad in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 11:26 PM
  3. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 10:00 PM
  4. Typing Others: Tests, Tips, Tricks, What to Look For?
    By disco in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 02:30 PM
  5. what types are least capabale of successfully typing other people's types
    By clandestine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO