• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"What could happen if..." attitude

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
I have a sort of constant mild paranoia for everything and I wonder if it could depends by mbti functions or not.

When I have to decide what I could do, I can imagine incredible multiple situations with all the possible consequences and sometimes it blocks me acting in a certain way or I procrastinate and studying better the situation. A sort of "If I do this It could be happen that, or if I do this others could think that and do that and then..." scenario.

It's mbti-related in some way or I need mental help? :doh:;)
What's your thought?
Thanks.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I have a sort of constant mild paranoia for everything and I wonder if it could depends by mbti functions or not.

When I have to decide what I could do, I can imagine incredible multiple situations with all the possible consequences and sometimes it blocks me acting in a certain way or I procrastinate and studying better the situation. A sort of "If I do this It could be happen that, or if I do this others could think that and do that and then..." scenario.

It's mbti-related in some way or I need mental help? :doh:;)
What's your thought?
Thanks.

Sounds really familiar. Analysis paralysis. I don't know if you need formal mental help. I just try to shut off thinking cold and DO something, otherwise i'll go nuts. results not always perfect, but whatever.

It's unhealthy N
Hmm . . .

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I have to decide what I could do, I can imagine incredible multiple situations with all the possible consequences and sometimes it blocks me acting in a certain way or I procrastinate and studying better the situation.

I just talked about this with my wife last night. Try the following:

(1) Limit your scenarios to 3. For example. "I have a test tomorrow. I'm not doing as good as I should in the class. The three most likely scenarios in this situation are:

(a) BEST CASE: I study my ass off and stay focused and rock the test and get my average up.

(b) MIDDLE OF THE ROAD: I study half assed on the areas that I am least familiar with to try and catch up and end up maintaining my average as it is, but must improve it later this semester.

(c) WORST CASE: I procastinate and screw off all my time worrying and not doing anything practical to prepare for the exam and I bomb the test and screw up my average big time.

(2) Then, you must try to accept the worst case scenario. You won't do it. You know it's a stupid thing to do, and that it will happen if you don't do (a) or (b).

(3) Finally, do all possible to make the (a) outcome become a reality. If you begin studying and get de-railed, just snap out of it and forgive yourself and get back on track. Repeat until you pass out of exhaustion and go to bed.

If the exercise above works, you'll get either (a) or (b) as an outcome. Shoot for the stars, and the worst you can do is land on the moon, right? I formulated this strategy during my undergraduate years, and I still use it today.

Good luck!

:cheese:

-Alex

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Could be an amygdala overreaction. Some people have more sensitive amygdala than others. Perhaps fear experiences in childhood.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
It's unhealthy N

So do you think this attitude is more prominent in intj/infj?
I am confused because I read that in unhealthy mode the functions used are 3rd and 4th.
Is it possible going unhealthy using mainly the primary function?

Sounds really familiar. Analysis paralysis. I don't know if you need formal mental help. I just try to shut off thinking cold and DO something, otherwise i'll go nuts. results not always perfect, but whatever.

Analysis paralysis, yes, good definition. I will do research on it. thanks.

Could be an amygdala overreaction. Some people have more sensitive amygdala than others. Perhaps fear experiences in childhood.

Maybe, You are on to something! now I remember that in my global 5 I am primary Limbic. thanks.
--

Thanks to others for suggestions.
Bye.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
unhealthy N sounds pretty possible

i do exactly the same and i'm an INFP

Last edited:

redacted

I am confused because I read that in unhealthy mode the functions used are 3rd and 4th.

I think it's a mistake to say that functions can only be unhealthy at a certain point in the order. Everyone has an N function, and everyone's N function can be unhealthy. The amount of focus put on N in general is what determines type, not how "healthy" it is.

One of the worst cases I know of this is an ISTJ, another an ENTP...well, you get the picture.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes. Any of the functions can be unhealthy, regardless of position.
Ne's tend to procrastinate and get caught up in analysis paralysis just as the weak end of their Ne unless they develop a judging process that forces them to take action.

S's who have Ne in the Inferior position usually run into it when there are unavoidable life changes / completely new situations dumped on them that their old way of viewing things cannot process. The wild possibilities sort of eat them up from the inside -- they have trouble sleeping, they get obsessed with wild fears regardless of how probable a possibility might be, paranoid of the future, etc.